Global Entry

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:18 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Global Entry

Just used this at Toronto and got placed at the head of the scanner line, much to the annoyance of the huge snaking queue behind!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice
Default Re: Global Entry

How long was the process from application to approval? I know you have to go to your local airport for some processing.

We're thinking of getting this by the end of the year.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:48 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really remember but it wasn't long at all (I'll check on the web site when I get home). You don't go to your local airport unless it happens to be one that is doing the interview process (but that could have changed by now). None of the airports in SC were doing it so I went to Orlando when we took a holiday there. Nearest was Charlotte then Atlanta.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice

My bad - I see they don't have locations at all airports. O'Hare or even Dulles work for us if we know ahead of time how long the processing takes.

Do they tell you immediately you qualified and you can use the global entry program? Or is there some wait time required?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:52 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

From memory the officer told me straight away but you have to wait for your card to come through.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Can't really remember but it wasn't long at all (I'll check on the web site when I get home). You don't go to your local airport unless it happens to be one that is doing the interview process (but that could have changed by now). None of the airports in SC were doing it so I went to Orlando when we took a holiday there. Nearest was Charlotte then Atlanta.
What questions do they ask you ?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:09 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
What questions do they ask you ?
Now you're asking! From memory it was mainly about what I did for a living.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:20 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Not sure when I actually applied (think it was around mid May) but I received conditional approval on June 5th, had my interview on July 3rd (date picked by me) and received full approval on July 6th. The approval letter states that you can use the booths before you receive your card.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Just used this at Toronto and got placed at the head of the scanner line, much to the annoyance of the huge snaking queue behind!
So can you summarize the benefits? I originally thought it was just for quick clearance through immigration, but does it also necessarily help with security screening on departures? Also, what is the cost, pls?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So can you summarize the benefits? I originally thought it was just for quick clearance through immigration, but does it also necessarily help with security screening on departures? Also, what is the cost, pls?
It's $100.

I have another question - how long does it take to get the global entry card?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:25 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seawaternow
It's $100.
If you have an AMEX Platinum card (and pay with it) then AMEX will reimburse the fee.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 2:29 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Basically you jump the immigration queue. Instead of joining the queue for the immigration officer you go to terminal much like the self serve check-in ones. You scan your US passport or green card, answer a few customs questions and your off to security.

I also believe that on some routes you're 'pre-screened' for security and go through a fast pass route. Also heard there was talk about you not having to take shoes off etc soon.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 2:34 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Originally Posted by seawaternow
I have another question - how long does it take to get the global entry card?
I took about 3 weeks for the actual card to come through but oddly enough you don't need to use it at immigration. As soon as you have the approval letter (email) you can travel using the service.