Girlfriend in the USA

Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

paulw99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Girlfriend in the USA

Howdy,

I want to go visit my long-term girlfriend in the US. She is a Canadian on TN status and I have an EU passport (if that's important). I read this forum a lot about a year ago and I got the impression from other threads that I should avoid saying that I am visiting my girlfriend as otherwise the immigration guy might get very suspicious and refuse me entry. Is this true? I'm hoping to stay the full 3 months, and intend to go in on a one-way ticket with another (refundable) one-way ready to show them if they ask. Should I put more emphasis on another friend I know in the US who I could say I'm going to visit? I'm not looking for a job.

cheers
Paul
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend in the USA

I believe that a requirement of traveling under the visa waiver program (assuming that you are) is a return ticket, not two one way tickets. If I'm right, that will be a bigger problem than telling them you are visiting your girlfriend.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Duncan,
I've visited the USA nearly every year for the last 10 years on visa waiver and they have never asked for return tickets - until last year. Then I had two one-way tickets, one in and one out. They were happy with that. Before that I almost always travelled on one-way tickets.
cheers
Paul
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulw99
Hi Duncan,
I've visited the USA nearly every year for the last 10 years on visa waiver and they have never asked for return tickets - until last year. Then I had two one-way tickets, one in and one out. They were happy with that. Before that I almost always travelled on one-way tickets.
cheers
Paul
Virgin Atlantic will not let people on the VWP travel on a one way tickets, you must show your return flight at check in, I dont know if all airlines are the same however.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:21 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

The second ticket is refundable? That's not so much a ticket then as a temporary loan to an airline. If I was a suspicious soul....
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Duncan,
cheers
Paul
Just like the stock market, past performance is no guarantee of future results. I did check and it is an official requirement to have a return ticket so it's up to you to decide what that means. However, with the VWP you waive all rights to appeal so if the person who is processing you thinks that two one way tickets doesn't equal a return, there is nothing you can do about it. Plus, isn't it cheaper to get a non-restricted return ticket that you can change the end date on if needed?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm, not sure if Virgin would ask to see a return ticket if you were flying with them, surely if you had one they'd know about it?

It happened to me recently in Canada, I came in on a one-way, the guy gave me a heck of a grilling. I finally said: if I go buy a ticket out of here right now, will you let me in? He said: sure, no problem. I think they're just covering themselves. They don't want to let someone in who the authorities may have to pay to get rid of later.

Anyway, I have a good reason for having two one-way tickets, I'll be entering at one airport and leaving from another, many miles away.

The real question I have is about what I should say about why I'm visiting. With immigration, honesty isn't always the best policy, or so it seems.

Thanks for all the replies!

PS :
" I did check and it is an official requirement to have a return ticket "
Interesting! Could you provide me with a link? If that's the case, I'll do it.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

"Plus, isn't it cheaper to get a non-restricted return ticket that you can change the end date on if needed?"

I wouldn't think so. I usually get the cheapest available one-ways.
If either side of the return is flexible then they quickly get very, very expensive. I buy very flexible one-ways out to show the immigration guy, but then cash them back in.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, not sure if Virgin would ask to see a return ticket if you were flying with them, surely if you had one they'd know about it?
Yes they do know about your return ticket if you book a return with them, but regardless you do have to show your return ticket on check in in the UK.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PS :
" I did check and it is an official requirement to have a return ticket "
Interesting! Could you provide me with a link? If that's the case, I'll do it.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1990.html
If arriving by air or sea, they are traveling on an approved carrier (See the approved carriers list) and have a return trip ticket to any foreign destination;

By the way, my mum usually flys in and out of different airports and always finds it cheaper to book a return ticket with stopover or a multi-destination return.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Duncan. I still don't believe they apply that in practice but the point is that they can so I had better get a return ticket.

I just went to the Virgin website and tried to book a one-way LHR-NYC, no mention anywhere of any problems yet probably 90% of people doing such a booking would be on the visa waiver program. I even did a "live chat" with a Virgin rep, she said I needed a return ticket and that it "has always been the case". Well, that last statement is absolutely not true. I asked why the website doesn't mention it, she said "we don't get involved in those things". They must be turning away a lot of people at the airports then. Sorry, I'm just a stubborn so-and-so. I'll get a return ticket!

Now, should I say I'm visiting my girlfriend, or not?

cheers!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now, should I say I'm visiting my girlfriend, or not?
Just say vacation. If they specifically ask if it's to see a girlfriend then you have to say yes, if they don't ask specifically and ask if you are visiting anyone you are being 100% honest by saying friend.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They probably will ask additional questions. Vacation for 90 days? Unheard of in the US. He might be asked to show financial means to support himself for said 90 days. He will probably be asked why he is taking such a long vacation and where he intends to travel to.

For the OP, you were allowed in without a return ticket but instead two one way tickets so that is the proof that it does happen. How often does it happen? Who knows and rightfully, who cares other than the person traveling.

Be prepared to show proof that you will leaving the US on the off-chance they want to see proof of employment, housing, schooling, whatever.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:33 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
The second ticket is refundable? That's not so much a ticket then as a temporary loan to an airline. If I was a suspicious soul....
I buy very flexible one-ways out to show the immigration guy, but then cash them back in.
As I said, that's a bit obvious and I'm surprised it hasn't tripped you up so far.

With immigration, honesty isn't always the best policy, or so it seems.
How wrong can you be? The rule is to not offer up information except in answer to direct questions. And then to answer honestly.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not going to say 90 days, usually I just say a few weeks if asked. And who's to say, maybe I will only stay a few weeks. That's a good thing about travelling with a flexible one-way, you can set the date to two weeks after arrival. I could do the same with a flexible return.

A friend got a total grilling last year from a US border guard, he even wanted to see bank statements! Things are changing. I'll be prepared.

I think I'll have to downgrade the girlfriend to just a friend.

I'm not trying to scam anyone or anything; I can support myself, I'm not looking for a job and I don't intend to stay past my 3 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.