Getting a social security number

Old Jun 22nd 2016, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

L1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a social security number

I realise that I have to be in the US for ten days before going along to an appointment for getting my SSN. However, I'm looking to find out whether the number is given on the same day at the appointment. I have checked out their site which says the card will take up until 10 days to arrive, I need the number to move into the apartment I have reserved so would like to know if it is usual practice to get the number on the day of appointment or whether it will be a 10 day wait. Thank you!
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 2:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a social security number

Originally Posted by L1applicant
I realise that I have to be in the US for ten days before going along to an appointment for getting my SSN. .....
That is reportedly (here on BE) no longer true.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 2:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Last I heard, you could go back in person to ask what the number is. To my knowledge they don't tell you the same day. And they aren't supposed to tell you over the phone because they can't verify your identity.

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I need the number to move into the apartment I have reserved
It is likely that the apartment manager/agent uses SSN to check credit-worthiness and ID. If they are not used to dealing with non-citizens they may not be used to the concept of not having an SSN but you should be able to satisfy their requirements with other docs, eg passport for ID, letter from your employer for ability to pay rent etc. Don't be fobbed off by the "but the computer says we need your SSN!" approach.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 12:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
It is likely that the apartment manager/agent uses SSN to check credit-worthiness and ID. If they are not used to dealing with non-citizens they may not be used to the concept of not having an SSN but you should be able to satisfy their requirements with other docs, eg passport for ID, letter from your employer for ability to pay rent etc. Don't be fobbed off by the "but the computer says we need your SSN!" approach.
Worse, they're going to find a "blank" credit file, so I would address up-front with the managing agent, because otherwise you might find your deposit returned and lease offer retracted for lack of any available credit data.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

L1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond reputeL1applicant has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all. I need the number for the renters insurance, as you may know, one of the required documents to move in. Have sorted out the apartment with proof of pay. The website says we recommend waiting 10 days. Could try before and see how it goes
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all. I need the number for the renters insurance, as you may know, one of the required documents to move in. Have sorted out the apartment with proof of pay. The website says we recommend waiting 10 days. Could try before and see how it goes
same advice, find a company that gives you renters insurance without an SSN. An agent should be able to help you. My SSN took over 2 months and yet I had renters insurance the whole time. Mine was with AIG.

Last edited by yellowroom; Jun 23rd 2016 at 7:43 am.