Getting a permanent job in the US

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:41 am
Just Joined

RichardJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a permanent job in the US

I am currently working in the US on an L1A visa and have been for close to 6 years. I have recently been offered the opportunity of a permanent job with a different company and a GC.

The question is do I have to leave the US to get a new visa for the new company? Or can it happen whilst I am still working for my existing company?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:13 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a permanent job in the US

Originally Posted by RichardJ
I am currently working in the US on an L1A visa and have been for close to 6 years. I have recently been offered the opportunity of a permanent job with a different company and a GC.

The question is do I have to leave the US to get a new visa for the new company? Or can it happen whilst I am still working for my existing company?
If you want as new visa, yes you will have to leave the country, since visas are entry documents and are only issued outside.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe if you are switching from an L1 from one company, to an H1B with a new company, the change of status can be done from within the USA. Have your H1B employer's immigration attorney look into it.

Rene
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The question is do I have to leave the US to get a new visa for the new company?
No, a change of status can be done while you're in the US.

Or can it happen whilst I am still working for my existing company?
The application can be made while you're still working, yes. Once the application is approved, you can begin working for the new employer. The change of status process will leave you landlocked. That means that you're okay to live and work in the US, but if you leave the US, you must appear at a US Consulate to get the actual visa in your passport.

Are you married? Does your wife work? If you are and she does, she's going to lose that ability when you switch to an H-1B visa.

Ian
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Not married, so that complication isn't a worry.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also depends how much time left he has.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the potential new employer to ask their lawyer about it. But generally if you're eligible for another nonimmigrant (e.g. H-1B) or immigrant (direct to green card) status, you wouldn't have to leave the country to do so. If you change status to H-1B then the next time you happen to leave the US, you would need to visit a consulate to get a visa before you return.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

I have 2 more years on my L1A.

I will talk to the new employer and get them to ask the question too.