Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is getting an L1-A visa simply a technicality?

Is getting an L1-A visa simply a technicality?

Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

JRoberts is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Is getting an L1-A visa simply a technicality?

I am a US citizen selling my home to someone working for a very large multinational. He is being transferred over to the states with a L1-A Visa and is a "senior" staffer. I am buying a new home and if his Visa falls through I will have a problem having to buy two homes. Is his Visa a technicality, or should I be concerned that there are some real reasons why the US government would hold up this senior executives visa from such a large company.

Additional information is that his promotion is approved, he and his family are being transferred, he and his family have been sent to the US and found a home to purchase.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is getting an L1-A visa simply a technicality?

Originally Posted by JRoberts
I am a US citizen selling my home to someone working for a very large multinational. He is being transferred over to the states with a L1-A Visa and is a "senior" staffer. I am buying a new home and if his Visa falls through I will have a problem having to buy two homes. Is his Visa a technicality, or should I be concerned that there are some real reasons why the US government would hold up this senior executives visa from such a large company.

Additional information is that his promotion is approved, he and his family are being transferred, he and his family have been sent to the US and found a home to purchase.

Thanks.
Personally, I would wait. Nothing is ever a done deal until the visa is IN-HAND.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:59 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRoberts

Thanks.
Very sensible concern. The L1-A isn't a simple technicality, but it's highly likely to be granted if he really is a senior exec in a multinational. I'm not quite sure what your question is though. You can either complete the sale before he knows if his visa is approved, and then he's stuck with a house in the US if it falls through, or you can wait, and risk being stuck with the house yourself. Or you can find another buyer.

If you're asking for reassurance that the guy is really going to get a visa and be able to buy your house, then none of us can really tell you... but the chances are good.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:23 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if its a large multinational then the chances are very good as they will know exactly what to do. However - the individual may have some skelton in the closet that may scupper it - so nothing is garanteed.

When we came over last year to look for a house before our L1a was sorted - our realtor wanted to write the house offer as conditional as us getting the visa. (ie if it fell through we wouldnt complete). That deal fel through for other reasons though and we ended up leasing first and are only now getting around to buying.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:10 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Very sensible concern. The L1-A isn't a simple technicality, but it's highly likely to be granted if he really is a senior exec in a multinational. I'm not quite sure what your question is though. You can either complete the sale before he knows if his visa is approved, and then he's stuck with a house in the US if it falls through, or you can wait, and risk being stuck with the house yourself. Or you can find another buyer.

If you're asking for reassurance that the guy is really going to get a visa and be able to buy your house, then none of us can really tell you... but the chances are good.
Sounds like the buyer has put, or wants to put a clause in the contract, saying that it's all dependent on the visa being granted to me. If it's a large multinational maybe they have a blanket petition but I don't know if that makes it easier for them to actually get the visa as that would probably still be dependent upon the individual and whether they really qualify.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:58 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i was thinking about this overnight. I doubt very much the individual wants to screw you over. If they DONT get the visa for some reason then their whole plan is scorched and they wont be coming to the US very soon or at all. They will also have to explain why to the company that is paying all the fees and it could make their jobs quite akward. So yes they could 'fail' in getting a visa but i doubt they want to fail and will do whatever they can to get it without a hitch.
Ask them when the visa interview is scgeduled for - as thats the date they will find out either way.