Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

getting the ds-230 together - checklist

getting the ds-230 together - checklist

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:31 pm
Is Female

gnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud of
Default getting the ds-230 together - checklist

so this form is annoying, taking me forever to do for some reason. If anyone has time to check, give me any input if they think I have done something wrong, would be helpful, I want to send it next week.

I think I have it all filled out, when it says list all employment for ten years, I can't even remember places I worked, or dates, I mean when I was studying, I did temp work, bar work, waitressing, I mean anything for a couple months on and off.

So I have just listed the past 5 jobs I can remember, past that I would have been a student anyway. any thoughts from any one else when did this.

intended occupation in u.s, I just put what I 'intend' to do, whether that happens or not, who knows.

ummm i put my husband down in spouse information, then when it gets to the question 31a and 31b I just N/A as he is my husband, but won't be immigrating.

so with the form I am also including:

a separate sheet answering Q 2 and Q 35
original birth cert
original marriage cert
copy of passport
police cert
2 x photo's

I think that is it, unless anyone knows of anything I am missing?

thanks for any input, sorry if this post is all a bit rambling, I am at work, with a major flu thing going on.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting the ds-230 together - checklist

Originally Posted by gnasher12
The NVC has given you a checklist of document to send in, yes?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:31 pm
Is Female

gnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
The NVC has given you a checklist of document to send in, yes?
umm No.

I thought it was like the I-864, once he pays the IV bill online, and it says paid, I was going to print off the bar code sheet, put it together with the ds-230 and send that in.

Do I have to wait for them to send me something after he has paid the IV bill?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

umm No.

I thought it was like the I-864, once he pays the IV bill online, and it says paid, I was going to print off the bar code sheet, put it together with the ds-230 and send that in.

Yeah, I'd check the NVC website and read the list of steps again. The DS-230 is 'just' a form.

There is a separate submission of your 'civil documents'.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

so this form is annoying, taking me forever to do for some reason. If anyone has time to check, give me any input if they think I have done something wrong, would be helpful, I want to send it next week.

I think I have it all filled out, when it says list all employment for ten years, I can't even remember places I worked, or dates, I mean when I was studying, I did temp work, bar work, waitressing, I mean anything for a couple months on and off.

So I have just listed the past 5 jobs I can remember, past that I would have been a student anyway. any thoughts from any one else when did this.

intended occupation in u.s, I just put what I 'intend' to do, whether that happens or not, who knows.

ummm i put my husband down in spouse information, then when it gets to the question 31a and 31b I just N/A as he is my husband, but won't be immigrating.

so with the form I am also including:

a separate sheet answering Q 2 and Q 35
original birth cert
original marriage cert
copy of passport
police cert
2 x photo's

thanks for any input, sorry if this post is all a bit rambling, I am at work, with a major flu thing going on.
as said there is a check list to follow and it will request what they want....we too have just compiled what civil documents they may ask my wife for, but have the same as you ready and waiting except our case is a little different in that we were both previously married and have the decree absolute ready my childhood delinquent conviction memo of such a letter from the court stating these records are no longer available plu a continuation sheet for #35 and #41 so we seem to be on the same line of thought!

However I am curious as to wether #41 "have you ever been charged with arrested or convicted of an offence or crime...does that cover motoring offences? As a standby, I have requested my drivers licence record.

I have also written to the UK border protection as my family returned from the U.S when I was 13 on a paper document that may be of assistance with continuation of #41

Hope this info helps ease you a bit??
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

I've also done a lot of tempint so I put my agency as my employer rather than each individual assignment
Lx
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:51 am
Is Female

Yeah, I'd check the NVC website and read the list of steps again. The DS-230 is 'just' a form.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3190.html

well I re read it, and still no answers, all I can think now, is that once the IV Bill is paid, (unlike the AOS where we just sent it in as soon as we could print the barcode sheet) I wait for NVC to contact me or my husband asking for the DS-230 and all supporting documents.

So I will continue to gather my documents, and get the form all ready to go as one package, and wait for NVC to contact me.

Question 2 on ds-230 - it asks for other names used, I put my maiden name.
but as I have changed my name previously before, which is shown on my police certificate.

do I need to list on a seperate sheet any other name I used in my life?

because I interpret this question as any other name used/aliases now, I do not use any other name, I legally have one name. I can only think this question is aimed at people who have an alias they use, or a nickname they go by.

any thoughts?
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:38 am
Is Female

nope ignore my last post about the name thing, I was being silly. Just going to include any name I have used in the past in other names used.

done and done.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

do I need to list on a seperate sheet any other name I used in my life?
I would, yes.

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:27 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what you're proposing, except for that last item. I think that 'none' is a more appropriate answer. (Break the 'N/A habit' - most questions are applicable, give a meaningful answer.)

Regards, JEff

Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No, you do not have to wait for them to send you something. When the bar code sheet is available you can print and send.

Regards, JEff

Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:32 pm

I don't see any reason why the civil documents cannot be sent with the DS-230, if they are available to be sent. Or if the wait to get presently unavailable documents will be less than the time it will take for the NVC to send a checklist requesting missing documents.

Regards, JEff

Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I don't see any reason why the civil documents cannot be sent with the DS-230, if they are available to be sent. Or if the wait to get presently unavailable documents will be less than the time it will take for the NVC to send a checklist requesting missing documents.

Regards, JEff
So civil documents can be submitted any time after receiving an NVC case number? I knew that the individual forms need a bar code + OK to send them in and thought it might be the same for the docs.. don't send in until instructed.

Appreciate any clarity you can offer.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:51 pm
Is Female

So civil documents can be submitted any time after receiving an NVC case number? I knew that the individual forms need a bar code + OK to send them in and thought it might be the same for the docs.. don't send in until instructed.

Appreciate any clarity you can offer.
starting to get a little more clear with this, but still slightly mysterious.

I thought the ds-230 was much like the I-130 where you have the form, and copies of documents all together.

so I was going to wait until I could print off the barcode sheet online, stick it with the ds form, and civil documents, and make a cover letter and this would be the IV package I would send in.

then wait to hear from NVC, I am still not sure, if now you are meant to pay the IV fee, send in ds-230 then wait for them to ask for civil documents, then send them in.

I only want to know for sure, because I have seen other peoples timelines, there is no way NVC could have got in touch with them in 1 or 2 days after they paid the IV bill asking for all this stuff. a lot of people's time lines have suggested they paid the iv and sent in the ds and civil forms the same day.

I also have never seen any posts or any one saying, they have sent in the ds-230 form, now getting my civil documents ready to send in to NVC?? you know what I mean?

probably need some input from anyone who has just been through these steps right about now.....;-)
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:00 pm

I didn't say any time after receiving an NVC case number, I said with the DS-230.

The DS-230 should not be sent until the IV processing fee has been paid, the payment acknowledged, and the associated bar code sheet is available for download. We are toghether on this part, right?

Regards, JEff

So civil documents can be submitted any time after receiving an NVC case number?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.