Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting a B-2 Visa for a 6 month travel period as part of a gap y

Getting a B-2 Visa for a 6 month travel period as part of a gap y

Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a B-2 Visa for a 6 month travel period as part of a gap y

Originally Posted by Jamestrashy
Is there someone I can call and speak to before I risk applying?
Yes. An immigration attorney.

Rene
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamestrashy
I know you're only trying to help and it's nothing personal, the toughness is welcomed!
You're right. We don't want you to find yourself in a difficult situation... when avoiding that situation is just so easy!

I mean, I have a degree I will be returning to and a job I will be returning to, that I can prove.
We believe you - you have school and a job to return to... but you need to understand things from the Officer's point of view. Where US immigration is concerned, there is a presumption of immigrant intent for everyone who seeks to enter the US. Even the Queen is presumed to have immigrant intent and, in fact, she (like you) falls into the largest group of those with presumed intent: non-US citizens living outside the US.

Surely anyone can abandon anything!?
True enough. Which is why it's difficult to get a B-2 visa when you're eligible for the VWP. The US will err on the side of their convenience, not yours.

That all said, if you want some practical advice should you decide to go for the B-2 visa - include all of your documentary evidence (read = proof of strong ties to the UK) with your application package even if it says not to. The officer isn't obligated to look at anything you bring with you to the interview, but he is obligated to review your entire application package beforehand.

Ian
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

All I am saying is that people should not be so quick to say "no way." From what information has been posted by OP, I sense a more of a "possibly." Advance planning may increase the odds in her favor. Or, a person familiar with the personnel in the Consulate may say "don't bother." I would not jump to a conclusion on where in the continuim this application might land.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There have been some odd cases where B2's have been granted, really you never know exactly what would work and would not, you never know the full circumstances of those who post or if what they say is true.

You do not know how much of a fair sample the cases you see are.

No Lawyer can give you an absolute answer. If you can take the consequences it is only the fee in applying.
Old May 1st 2014, 12:02 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Did we get any details if he intends to get "hands on" inspiration at these studios? Would the inspiration take place as sort of an internship?