Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

General advise wanted - Emigrating to USA to join parents

General advise wanted - Emigrating to USA to join parents

Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

pete86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General advise wanted - Emigrating to USA to join parents

Originally Posted by Redwing
For you to practice as an architect, and stamp drawings, you will need a license in the state in which you practice. You will probably have to work under the tutoring of a registered architect for 3 years, before you can apply. With regard to building regs, many states are beginning to adopt the UBC. You will have to become familiar with these, also local codes. You will need to know certain aspects of OSHA. With regard to salary, as an engineer, I can tell you that they are paid more than architects. Depending where you start work, you can expect to start off at 28K to 35K. Industrial construction is spotty right now. In SE Tennessee, Volkswagen is getting ready to start pouring concrete for a new manufacturing facility, and TVA has begun construction on a once abandoned unit at Spring City. These are just some brief details, which I could enlarge on later, if need be.
Many thanks for the info Redwing, some interest stuff their. I may point out though that i wont be working as an architect, but an architectural technician/technologist. By the sounds of the previous posts, this specific position may not be worth applying for through a work visa?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General advise wanted - Emigrating to USA to join parents

Excuse my confusion over the job title, Pete86. Presently, I would say that your last sentence is correct. Who knows, things could be different down the road.