GC timescales

Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:36 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute
Default GC timescales

Hi Guys,

Solicitors will be filing our paperwork in October, whats the rough timescale for the process to be completed?

We are here on an L1A visa.

Can the process be sped up by visiting the embassy in London???

Thanks for the advice.

Regards.

Paul.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:46 pm
J. J. Farrell

Default Re: GC timescales

On Sep 4, 11:36 pm, paul1968mcr <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
> Solicitors will be filing our paperwork in October, whats the rough
> timescale for the process to be completed?
>
> We are here on an L1A visa.

It depends on many things including
- the basis on which you're hoping to get a Green Card (family,
employment, ...)
- the exact category in which you're applying (child of USC,
EB-2, ...)
- your nationality

Without this info no-one can say much.

> Can the process be sped up by visiting the embassy in London???

Very unlikely, but can't be sure without more info.

Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Londonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really nice

Hi there - L1A is the easiest to convert to GC, I have friends in the US that are all GC holders and the process was roughly 7 months, that was 2006/2007 so it should still be the same. We are going to return and apply ourselves so I truly hope that is the case - Good Luck. Cari
Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Jholmes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
Hi Guys,

Solicitors will be filing our paperwork in October, whats the rough timescale for the process to be completed?

We are here on an L1A visa.

Can the process be sped up by visiting the embassy in London???

Thanks for the advice.

Regards.

Paul.
It took us 4 months to get GC . We were in LIA , EB1C.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:01 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J. J. Farrell
On Sep 4, 11:36 pm, paul1968mcr <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
> Solicitors will be filing our paperwork in October, whats the rough
> timescale for the process to be completed?
>
> We are here on an L1A visa.

It depends on many things including
- the basis on which you're hoping to get a Green Card (family,
employment, ...)
- the exact category in which you're applying (child of USC,
EB-2, ...)
- your nationality

Without this info no-one can say much.

> Can the process be sped up by visiting the embassy in London???

Very unlikely, but can't be sure without more info.
Sorry it will be EB1 and we are Brits
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry it will be EB1 and we are Brits
Been waiting for green card (EB1C) since April now....process is fairly easy though as the requirements are roughly the same as for the L1A.

Good luck!
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:27 am
Carmel Indiana

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Been waiting for green card (EB1C) since April now....process is fairly easy though as the requirements are roughly the same as for the L1A.

Good luck!
Thanks!! Just gotta get an MMR jab and a Tetanus booster!! ready for our medicals - luckily the kids had everything prior to starting school.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

It took us 3 months to get green card from L1A.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks!! Just gotta get an MMR jab and a Tetanus booster!! ready for our medicals - luckily the kids had everything prior to starting school.
They didn't give me an MMR - they took my records from the UK and believed me when I said I had already had mumps. Don't forget the chicken pox jab - again I avoided said I'd had it already. Both were true - but you know - how do you prove it??

Got the tetanus one though (which I didn't need) they give it to you right in the arm muscle - hurts like hell - not in the a** like they do in the uk which doesn't hurt a bit....
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

yogi2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

How long did you have to be in the US on the L1A Visa before you can apply for the Green Card?

Thanks

Yogi
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yogi2007
Hi,

How long did you have to be in the US on the L1A Visa before you can apply for the Green Card?

Thanks

Yogi
There's no minimum time. In fact the sooner the better, because one of the requirements for the EB1C is that you have to have worked for the company for one year out of the previous (3 I think) as a manager for the same company.

Your employer HAS to sponsor the I140 though
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, does this mean in theory:

I can move to the USA via my existing company using the L1A visa (which I understand I qualify for, as I have worked there for 2 of the last 3 years). Once in the USA I can immediately apply for my Greencard, during which time I have to stay with my current company to stay in the country (let's say 7 months for arguments sake...). Once I then get the GC I can then leave this company to work in any US company of my choice. Is that correct?

Cheers

Yogi
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yogi2007
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, does this mean in theory:

I can move to the USA via my existing company using the L1A visa (which I understand I qualify for, as I have worked there for 2 of the last 3 years). Once in the USA I can immediately apply for my Greencard, during which time I have to stay with my current company to stay in the country (let's say 7 months for arguments sake...). Once I then get the GC I can then leave this company to work in any US company of my choice. Is that correct?

Cheers

Yogi
It means you can move to the USA on the L1A, your company can immediately file (assuming that the visa category is current which it always has been apart from over this summer with the visa cock up) a concurrent I140 and I485 on your behalf. You can also apply for EAD and Advance Parole if you want, but you don't need either, as you will stay working for the company (so no need for EAD) and you can travel on your L1 (so no need for Advance Parole). The I140 has to be filed by your employer, you actually file for the I485, but my company paid for both through their lawyers.

Then you just play a waiting game....

As to whether you can leave the company straight away once you get your green card...opinions vary, some say that it is best to stick around for 6 months to a year because you may get asked questions when you go for citizenship (which you can do after 5 years of having the greencard), others say it doesn't matter.

Also - once your I140 is approved, once you wait 6 months, if your I485 has not been approved you can change jobs even without your greencard, under AC21 portability, however, in that case you will have to apply for EAD and Advance Parole as your L1 is linked to your original employer

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks so much, that really helps me out!

All the best

Yogi