GC Questions

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 8:30 pm
News Group User

Hi,

I am currently working on an H1B visa in the US and am going to apply for GC through my
wife who is a US citizen. As I was starting to fill out some of the forms, was not unclear
on some of the questions. I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me. Here's
where I have doubts:

1. Alien Registration Number Form G325A (biographical infromation) I am on a work visa and
my wife is a naturalized citizen. We both dont have the Alien Registration Numbers.
What should I do, leave it empty?

2. Work Authorization - I have applied for work authorization on 2 ocassions. Once for
curriculum practical training after I graduated and once for the H1 visa. What is the
minimum documentation that I should attach? (Dont have anything except the EAD card for
the CPT application.)

Thanks in advance!

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 9:12 pm
Mark Carroll

(snip)
>1. Alien Registration Number Form G325A (biographical infromation) I am on a work visa
> and my wife is a naturalized citizen. We both dont have the Alien Registration
> Numbers. What should I do, leave it empty?

Write "none".

>2. Work Authorization - I have applied for work authorization on 2 ocassions. Once for
> curriculum practical training after I graduated and once for the H1 visa. What is the
> minimum documentation that I should attach? (Dont have anything except the EAD card
> for the CPT application.)

I don't know.

-- Mark

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 10:08 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

News Group User wrote:

> I am currently working on an H1B visa in the US and am going to apply for GC through my
> wife who is a US citizen. As I was starting to fill out some of the forms, was not
> unclear on some of the questions. I was hoping that someone here might be able to help
> me. Here's where I have doubts:
>
> 1. Alien Registration Number Form G325A (biographical infromation) I am on a work visa
> and my wife is a naturalized citizen. We both dont have the Alien Registration
> Numbers. What should I do, leave it empty?

I would leave it empty. An A number will be assigned to your case upon filing.

> 2. Work Authorization - I have applied for work authorization on 2 ocassions. Once for
> curriculum practical training after I graduated and once for the H1 visa.

A petition for H-1B classification does not count for this question. What they mean is
application for employment authorization from INS using Form I-765.

What is the minimum documentation that I should attach?
> (Dont have anything except the EAD card for the CPT application.)

Do you really mean CPT? Usually CPT (curricular practical training) is authorized by
the school, and no EAD is involved. It's OPT (optional practical training) that results
in an EAD.

Answer question 11 "Yes" and fill in information about the EAD card. You don't attach any
documentation. I interpret that instruction as applying only to denials. I have seen
dozens of I-765s filed successfully without documentation.