GC Holder Leaving the US

Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice
Default GC Holder Leaving the US

Hi, you all should remember me. Well, the long planned move to France for my wife (French citizen, US GC holder) and me (USC, French citizen applicant) is coming. My wife is leaving the US in mid September to seek work and a place to live. I will remain in the US until she gets a job and is settled (six months).

In the meantime, she will be back to visit. At what point has she officially abandoned her GC? Perhaps the first day she leaves. Assuming we are not going to turn the card in, what will likely happen if she visits every other month then more like once a year for vacations?

FYI: She is not interested in obtaining US citizenship.

I know there are no exact answers, but opinions are appreciated. I am most worried at some point she will lose the GC yet for some reason be ineligible for the VWP (not due to overstary or crime, just that she had a GC and gave it up.

Thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GC Holder Leaving the US

Originally Posted by DCMark
Hi, you all should remember me. Well, the long planned move to France for my wife (French citizen, US GC holder) and me (USC, French citizen applicant) is coming. My wife is leaving the US in mid September to seek work and a place to live. I will remain in the US until she gets a job and is settled (six months).

In the meantime, she will be back to visit. At what point has she officially abandoned her GC? Perhaps the first day she leaves. Assuming we are not going to turn the card in, what will likely happen if she visits every other month then more like once a year for vacations?

FYI: She is not interested in obtaining US citizenship.

I know there are no exact answers, but opinions are appreciated. I am most worried at some point she will lose the GC yet for some reason be ineligible for the VWP (not due to overstary or crime, just that she had a GC and gave it up.

Thanks

She caould probably continue to the GC without issue for at least the 6 months, she does have a US residence. And that time line will not look suspicous.

If she can she should get US Citizenship, may regret it later.

You can officially surrender your GC, so at some point she should do that and revert to the VWP.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Thanks. I was hoping for some more replies. Any idea when she should surrender the GC?

She does not want US Citizenship and I support her fully. There is no reason for the IRS to have any access to her income, which will most likely be earned for the rest of her life in the EU. There are other more personal reasons as well, not relevant here.

Originally Posted by Boiler
She caould probably continue to the GC without issue for at least the 6 months, she does have a US residence. And that time line will not look suspicous.

If she can she should get US Citizenship, may regret it later.

You can officially surrender your GC, so at some point she should do that and revert to the VWP.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCMark
Thanks. I was hoping for some more replies. Any idea when she should surrender the GC?.
Take it into the US consulate when you get to France
Show your passport and hand in the GC with form I-407