GC and Citizenship impediments?

Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GC and Citizenship impediments?

Originally Posted by nun
Why do you want to apply for US citizenship?

If you think that you or your children will ever live outside of the US again I would not recommend you taking US citizenship. The GC is probably a good idea, but US citizenship comes with complications and restrictions if you have overseas investments or live overseas.
I would say that's precisely one of the reasons to obtain US citizenship. US citizenship means you have the ability to travel freely and move back to the US at any time. I'm glad we obtained US citizenship because my oldest daughter is in year 2 of at least 4 years of university in Canada. My next daughter is thinking of going to Europe for a year or maybe longer. Neither of them need to worry about their ability to return to the US.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:56 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yours is the opinion that I see most people give - the ability to travel more freely and move back to the USA at any time. But nun makes a good point that should not be ignored - US citizenship involves obligations as well as benefits.

Your oldest daughter being at school in Canada would not present any problems for her if she were still a PR - no benefit to citizenship there. Your other daughter going to Europe for a period of years may or may not create have the potential for problems if she were still a PR, and it may or may not present different problems for her as a citizen.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I would say that's precisely one of the reasons to obtain US citizenship. US citizenship means you have the ability to travel freely and move back to the US at any time. I'm glad we obtained US citizenship because my oldest daughter is in year 2 of at least 4 years of university in Canada. My next daughter is thinking of going to Europe for a year or maybe longer. Neither of them need to worry about their ability to return to the US.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
You need to list all trips for both the GC and citizenship application.
Sorry, a very quick tangential question: where exactly does one need to list all trips for an adjustment of status? I can't see it on either the G-325a (which seems the most likely place to find it) or the I-485 itself.

Maybe I'm just slow
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
Sorry, a very quick tangential question: where exactly does one need to list all trips for an adjustment of status? I can't see it on either the G-325a (which seems the most likely place to find it) or the I-485 itself.

Maybe I'm just slow
I don't think you need to list them for Adjustment of Status...only for Citizenship.

Rene
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
where exactly does one need to list all trips for an adjustment of status?
I'm sure it's only on the N-400 form (Application for Naturalization)
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think you need to list them for Adjustment of Status...only for Citizenship.
Rene
We submitted the I-485 last Friday and I double checked that it was not requested anywhere. My lawyers didn't ask for it either, but they did ask for a scan of every page of every passport I had. That's 20 years worth plus my whole family, so around 170 pages total!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:59 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Not for adjustment of status. For citizenship they want all travel out of the USA for the past 5 years - to establish that the applicant meets the Continuous Residence and Physical Presence requirements.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by TimFountain
One other thing -whilst not an impediment, it is, IMHO, very prudent to track all visits outside the US, gong back to the first day one moved here. You need to list all trips for both the GC and citizenship application. I know a number of people I know who failed to do this and have a devil of a time accurately reconstructing it.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Not for adjustment of status. For citizenship they want all travel out of the USA for the past 5 years - to establish that the applicant meets the Continuous Residence and Physical Presence requirements.

Regards, JEff
Does a single trip abroad, that exceeds 6 months, break the Continuous Residence status and reset the clock back to 0 again?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
Does a single trip abroad, that exceeds 6 months, break the Continuous Residence status and reset the clock back to 0 again?
I believe the answer is "no", but double check .... the answer is in the USCIS Guide to Naturalization at www.uscis.gov.

Rene
Old Nov 6th 2012, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Yours is the opinion that I see most people give - the ability to travel more freely and move back to the USA at any time. But nun makes a good point that should not be ignored - US citizenship involves obligations as well as benefits.

Your oldest daughter being at school in Canada would not present any problems for her if she were still a PR - no benefit to citizenship there. Your other daughter going to Europe for a period of years may or may not create have the potential for problems if she were still a PR, and it may or may not present different problems for her as a citizen.

Regards, JEff
You overlook something. PR's do not have an automatic right to enter the US. If my daughter was still a PR and got into some sort of trouble with the law in Canada (even through no fault of her own) she might have issues getting back into the US. US citizenship makes that issue disappear since US citizens cannot be refused entry to the US.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:01 am

A person with a claim to Permanent Resident status cannot be denied entry to the US.

But anyway, how would a problem with the law in Canada give her a problem with the US CBP? Unless the Canadian authorities had her in custody, so that she could not attempt to return to the USA.

Regards, JEff

You overlook something. PR's do not have an automatic right to enter the US. If my daughter was still a PR and got into some sort of trouble with the law in Canada (even through no fault of her own) she might have issues getting back into the US. US citizenship makes that issue disappear since US citizens cannot be refused entry to the US.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the AOS advice . My paranoia was getting the better of me and I was wondering if the G-325a needed yet another form itself!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 11:55 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If you intend to stay in the US and have US citizen family members then US citizenship is probably a good idea. But if you ever plan on leaving the US and becoming resident overseas having US citizenship can cause a lot of complications. It's a positive for immigration issues but a negative for financial and tax issues. The once taboo topic of renouncing US citizenship is now often discussed on US expat forums. So taking US citizenship is something that must be carefully consideredp