Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

G/C - Adjustment of Status process

G/C - Adjustment of Status process

Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:20 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice
Cool G/C - Adjustment of Status process

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them ? ......

I came over in 2002, and went through the whole G/C process (via marriage to a USC).

In 2004, I applied to adjustment of status to remove the conditions on my PR. The INS office booked me an appointment, but since it was about a week before my 2 year wedding anniversary, all they did was extend my conditions for a further 2 years !!!!!!...... I went through the interview, the fingerprinting, the proof of joint living etc etc etc.....
This year I re-sent all my adjustment paperwork to them, and they sent me a note advising me I would receive an interview date ! .... Why would they bother interviewing me again and possibly more fingerprinting ? Is this normal, or is this just a system generated letter that gets issued regardless ?

Any ideas ? (I did get a separate acknowledgement of my paperwork advising me that my PR was extended for 12 months whilst they process the adjustment). Thanks.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 13th 2006 at 1:27 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: G/C - Adjustment of Status process

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
Has anyone else ever had this happen to them ? ......

I came over in 2002, and went through the whole G/C process (via marriage to a USC).

In 2004, I applied to adjustment of status to remove the conditions on my PR.
To lazy to look up your history but you came in 2002 and only applied for AOS in 2004? Wow why the long wait for applying for adjustment of status? Were you here on another type of vias?

The INS office booked me an appointment, but since it was about a week before my 2 year wedding anniversary, all they did was extend my conditions for a further 2 years !!!!!!...... I went through the interview, the fingerprinting, the proof of joint living etc etc etc.....
This year I re-sent all my adjustment paperwork to them, and they sent me a note advising me I would receive an interview date ! .... Why would they bother interviewing me again and possibly more fingerprinting ? Is this normal, or is this just a system generated letter that gets issued regardless
LOL Put away the presecution thoughts. It is standard. I-751s are randomly selected for additional interviews and everyone who sent sufficient evidence of their continued marriage is open to this possibility. Of course, if there were something marked in your file that indicated doubt on the original adjudicator's part and/or additional evidence is required, then there was a reason for the interview. Either way, it is not a difficult interview. No more but probably less than the original. You have to go to the DO anyway for the completion of the I-89 for the new card and to drop off the old one, so you get all that down on this visit.

Any ideas ? (I did get a separate acknowledgement of my paperwork advising me that my PR was extended for 12 months whilst they process the adjustment). Thanks.
Again this is standard

Last edited by Rete; Nov 13th 2006 at 1:30 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:45 pm

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Hiya Rete,

Apologies for the confusion - meant my original adjustment of status was in 2004 ! ...... d'oh.. (It's monday and I haven't woken up yet, since I';ve only been at work for about 2 hours). I came over on a K-1 finace visa, and got married back in Nov 2002.

Thanks for the info .. I know I'm not being persecuted by the Gov't !!!.... LOL... Just feels like it at times, since they made me re-file this year and pay again.

Didn't realize I needed to go to my local office (local = 6 hour drive for me) !!... although since I'm moving soon, it'll only be a 3 hour drive instead. (reminds me, I must complete a change of address once I know one with the UCSIS)
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You file the AR-11 and the financial sponsor (your wife?) the I-865. Also call the 1-800 misinformation to let them know your new address and then call them again in a few weeks and tell them again until the time you call and they tell you what you new address is ;-)

Hiya Rete,

Apologies for the confusion - meant my original adjustment of status was in 2004 ! ...... d'oh.. (It's monday and I haven't woken up yet, since I';ve only been at work for about 2 hours). I came over on a K-1 finace visa, and got married back in Nov 2002.

Thanks for the info .. I know I'm not being persecuted by the Gov't !!!.... LOL... Just feels like it at times, since they made me re-file this year and pay again.

Didn't realize I needed to go to my local office (local = 6 hour drive for me) !!... although since I'm moving soon, it'll only be a 3 hour drive instead. (reminds me, I must complete a change of address once I know one with the UCSIS)
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
You file the AR-11 and the financial sponsor (your wife?) the I-865. Also call the 1-800 misinformation to let them know your new address and then call them again in a few weeks and tell them again until the time you call and they tell you what you new address is ;-)
Thanks again.... although you'd think that since they game me a PR card as I'm married and living with my spouse, they would actually havea 1 form that covers us both ! ... oh well, I know how much they love their paperwork.... (and sharing their paperwork with us ex-pats too).
Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.... although you'd think that since they game me a PR card as I'm married and living with my spouse, they would actually havea 1 form that covers us both ! ... oh well, I know how much they love their paperwork.... (and sharing their paperwork with us ex-pats too).
That makes sense for couples that are still living together. But many couples get divorced at some point during the process, and that means the alien and the sponsor are living at separate addresses. The sponsor is still liable for the I-864, therefore also needs to update his/her address. That's why they keep separate forms for the alien and sponsor.

Rene
Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:59 pm

Murphy's law exists - and I probably jinxed it by putting my tuppence in here ! LOL.... Got a note from Immigration yesterday advising me I need to go for Biometrics - even though I was fingerprinted and photographed last time as well.... (You think they'd keep these things on record).

oh well........