Funds Required??

Old May 18th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Col and Kori is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Funds Required??

Hi all,

following our decision to move Kori to England instead of me to the US, we have decided that I should visit the US using the VWP for 85 days from 30th June (Staying a little away from the full 90 just in case of flight delays and any other issue we may come across that could make me into an 'overstayer')

I was wondering how much funds the immigration officials will deem as sufficient for the full 85 days I intend to stay in the US.

I don't want to give them any kind of reason to assume I could overstay my welcome.

Also, would it be worth getting clearance from the American Embassy before hand or is that what the ESTA thing is for? Obviously I know the customs guy at the airport has the final decision.

Thankyou for your help in advance
Old May 18th 2009, 3:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funds Required??

Originally Posted by Col and Kori
Also, would it be worth getting clearance from the American Embassy before hand or is that what the ESTA thing is for? Obviously I know the customs guy at the airport has the final decision.

ESTA is the pre-clearance for travel on the VWP. The ESTA approval is good for 2 years.

Rene
Old May 18th 2009, 4:22 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Also, would it be worth getting clearance from the American Embassy before hand or is that what the ESTA thing is for?
There is no "clearance" that the US consulate can give you. That's called a B-2 visa. If you're using VWP, then you don't need the B-2. And if you have the B-2, you don't need ESTA or the VWP.

--J
Old May 18th 2009, 4:23 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

following our decision to move Kori to England instead of me to the US, we have decided that I should visit the US using the VWP for 85 days from 30th June (Staying a little away from the full 90 just in case of flight delays and any other issue we may come across that could make me into an 'overstayer')

I was wondering how much funds the immigration officials will deem as sufficient for the full 85 days I intend to stay in the US.

I don't want to give them any kind of reason to assume I could overstay my welcome.

The consulate only grants visas. A visa isn't considered a clearance. A visa is permission to ask at the border if you may enter. A visa may give the border officers some assurance that your case was reviewed at the consulate and that can help them make the correct decision, but they aren't bound by that.

You should be able to prove to the border guard that you will be returning to your home/work in the UK if confronted. The fact that you have funds is only one piece. Someone can travel with money for a variety of reasons, including to begin their new life in the US. Mortgage, lease, job, kids, car, bills, school in the UK or the paperwork you started to bring your spouse to the UK could help prove your intent to return home.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg14624
The consulate only grants visas. A visa isn't considered a clearance. A visa is permission to ask at the border if you may enter. A visa may give the border officers some assurance that your case was reviewed at the consulate and that can help them make the correct decision, but they aren't bound by that.

You should be able to prove to the border guard that you will be returning to your home/work in the UK if confronted. The fact that you have funds is only one piece. Someone can travel with money for a variety of reasons, including to begin their new life in the US. Mortgage, lease, job, kids, car, bills, school in the UK or the paperwork you started to bring your spouse to the UK could help prove your intent to return home.
I do no think I ever entered the US with more than GBP50 in cash.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your help ladies and gents.

The things that I have are bank statements with funds showing that I have no intention of working whilst i'm there, we'll have the vets paperwork to show that Kori's cats are being chipped and vaccinated for immigration to the UK, i've asked for a 90 day career break at work which means i'll be returning to work after my trip. This is waiting to be authorised so .

Unfortunately, I live with my mother at the moment (until Kori emigrates with me) so don't have a lease and my friend is buying my car before I leave because me and Kori want a better one when she moves over here.

Are there any other things I could bring with me just to be on the safe side??

I was in the US for one week in March and two weeks in April and wont be returning again until June 30th-ish do you think this will be a problem at all??

Thankyou as always
Old May 18th 2009, 6:24 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The things that I have are bank statements with funds showing that I have no intention of working whilst i'm there, we'll have the vets paperwork to show that Kori's cats are being chipped and vaccinated for immigration to the UK, i've asked for a 90 day career break at work which means i'll be returning to work after my trip. This is waiting to be authorised so .

Unfortunately, I live with my mother at the moment (until Kori emigrates with me) so don't have a lease and my friend is buying my car before I leave because me and Kori want a better one when she moves over here.

I was in the US for one week in March and two weeks in April and wont be returning again until June 30th-ish do you think this will be a problem at all??

Thankyou as always
The prior short visits are better than prior long trips. The more information the better. Have you submitted anything to the UK immigration process that you have a receipt for? They make decision on the totality of circumstances. You bring as much as you can, and hope for the best.
Old May 18th 2009, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

Thankyou as always
Take the letter from your employer agreeing the career break to be shown only if asked.
Old May 18th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg14624
Have you submitted anything to the UK immigration process that you have a receipt for?
Nothing as yet because we're not planning on making the move until the begining of November...June being more than three months prior unfortunately.

Thanks
Old May 18th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Take the letter from your employer agreeing the career break to be shown only if asked.
Yeah, i'll be making sure I have that with me.
Old May 19th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, today I was given the news that I may not be able to have a career break as it's not in the company policy...they did say that i'd be able to terminate my employment with a guranteed job when I return. Although this is currently in negotiations (I have a meeting with HR Manager tomorrow to discuss further and she's asked me to bring in something that shows what I need to assist me through customs...and also the fact that I need to be employed when we file the Spousal Visa paperwork, what I will need for Kori to move to the UK in November) I'd like to prepare for the worst (No career break) so what would be acceptable??

At the moment I have the email I sent through to the HR Department requesting the 'Extended unpaid leave, to coincide with the 90 day VWP' I also had my Personal Development Meeting today, from which my manager wrote 'make arrangements for planned three month absence' and signed by her good self on behalf of the company.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Last edited by Col and Kori; May 19th 2009 at 8:52 pm. Reason: Clarity
Old May 19th 2009, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Ok, today I was given the news that I may not be able to have a career break as it's not in the company policy...they did say that i'd be able to terminate my employment with a guranteed job when I return. Although this is currently in negotiations (I have a meeting with HR Manager tomorrow to discuss further and she's asked me to bring in something that shows what I need to assist me through customs...and also the fact that I need to be employed when we file the Spousal Visa paperwork, what I will need for Kori to move to the UK in November) I'd like to prepare for the worst (No career break) so what would be acceptable??

At the moment I have the email I sent through to the HR Department requesting the 'Extended unpaid leave, to coincide with the 90 day VWP' I also had my Personal Development Meeting today, from which my manager wrote 'make arrangements for planned three month absence' and signed by her good self on behalf of the company.

Thanks for your help in advance!!
Chances are you will not be asked.

But take whatever you have in your back pocket, just in case.

Nobody can guarantee anything, it is all down to the POE, just be a good Scout.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Chances are you will not be asked.

But take whatever you have in your back pocket, just in case.

Nobody can guarantee anything, it is all down to the POE, just be a good Scout.
That's what I thought, sometimes I think i'm looking too deeply into it but a few documents at least just in case i'm asked would suffice, I know this.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

I was wondering....it may happen that they terminate my employment with a view to reinstating me when I return. As we wanted to send off the UK Spousal Visa whilst i'm in the US, is there anything I can use to show UK officials that Kori and I will be able to support ourselves one she has emigrated to the UK or would I most definitely need to have a contract of employment to go along with the other 'eligibility' documentary evidence?

Thanks