Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Friend seeking to move to the states

Friend seeking to move to the states

Old Sep 18th 2004, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

worriedfriend is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Friend seeking to move to the states

Hi there to everyone who reads this, I hope one of you will be able to put my good friends mind at rest.

My friend has found an employment sponsor who desperately wants him over to the states to start working for him. He was offered the position due to his outstanding record of employment history.

He has a meeting on monday with a solicitor who is going to help him obtain a work visa. He has absolutely no knowledge of what he has to do or what questions he is likely to be asked and as he is quite shy he is very nervous about what this meeting entails.

His worry is he is now in his mid 40's and when he was 18 or 19 he was arrested for having stolen goods namely a car. To let you know how this happened he bought the car from someone completely unaware the vehicle was stolen, several days later police arrived at his parents house and arrested him for the theft of the vehicle, Nowadays this is not so common due to DVLA in Britain being so strict about paperwork but back then this was not the case and often documentation was not asked for or offered.

Anyway to cut a long story short he was held at the police station over the weekend and appeared in court on the Monday morning and since he could not prove he bought the car and that he did not know the sellers name he was remanded for further enquires. He spent 14 days in jail until he was brought back to court to find that the judge cound not find any other party guilty and that after checking banking documents supplied by his mother that he had withdrawn the amount he said he paid for the car on the day he said he bought it.

The outcome was we was allowed home as the judge said he had served time and no further charge would be brought against him.

This was over twenty years ago and he has never had any dealings with the police since, but he is really worried that because this is on his record it will stop him from getting a visa.

Could someone please help me help him by letting me know if this could affect his chances of taking his dream job and getting a visa.

if someone could let me know before monday when he has his consultation. i would be very grateful

thanks alot.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 9:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friend seeking to move to the states

I am transferring your to the US Visa Immigration forum for answering. Hope you find what you are seeking.

Rete
Moderator (BE)

Originally Posted by worriedfriend
Hi there to everyone who reads this, I hope one of you will be able to put my good friends mind at rest.

My friend has found an employment sponsor who desperately wants him over to the states to start working for him. He was offered the position due to his outstanding record of employment history.

He has a meeting on monday with a solicitor who is going to help him obtain a work visa. He has absolutely no knowledge of what he has to do or what questions he is likely to be asked and as he is quite shy he is very nervous about what this meeting entails.

His worry is he is now in his mid 40's and when he was 18 or 19 he was arrested for having stolen goods namely a car. To let you know how this happened he bought the car from someone completely unaware the vehicle was stolen, several days later police arrived at his parents house and arrested him for the theft of the vehicle, Nowadays this is not so common due to DVLA in Britain being so strict about paperwork but back then this was not the case and often documentation was not asked for or offered.

Anyway to cut a long story short he was held at the police station over the weekend and appeared in court on the Monday morning and since he could not prove he bought the car and that he did not know the sellers name he was remanded for further enquires. He spent 14 days in jail until he was brought back to court to find that the judge cound not find any other party guilty and that after checking banking documents supplied by his mother that he had withdrawn the amount he said he paid for the car on the day he said he bought it.

The outcome was we was allowed home as the judge said he had served time and no further charge would be brought against him.

This was over twenty years ago and he has never had any dealings with the police since, but he is really worried that because this is on his record it will stop him from getting a visa.

Could someone please help me help him by letting me know if this could affect his chances of taking his dream job and getting a visa.

if someone could let me know before monday when he has his consultation. i would be very grateful

thanks alot.