Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Frequent visits to US on visitors visa

Wikiposts

Frequent visits to US on visitors visa

Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

davejenk477 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frequent visits to US on visitors visa

Hi,

I have been visiting the US recently to visit friends who live there, but on my most recent visit i was asked a lot more questions about my visits by the border officer. I was allowed in, but i just wondered if it is common to have problems if you visit the US regularly?

I am a 24 year old guy, and i have friends in Ohio. I have visited them in august last year, and then at new year and in march this year. I plan on going to the US again in may/june to visit florida and drive up to Ohio before flying home from there. Are there likely to be any problems with visiting the US every couple of months like this? I only stay for 1 or 2 weeks at a time

I have a job in the UK and will have return flights and hotel booking infor etc to show that it is a genuine holiday

Thanks for any help, just to put my mind at ease!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:44 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frequent visits to US on visitors visa

Originally Posted by davejenk477
Hi,

I have been visiting the US recently to visit friends who live there, but on my most recent visit i was asked a lot more questions about my visits by the border officer. I was allowed in, but i just wondered if it is common to have problems if you visit the US regularly?

I am a 24 year old guy, and i have friends in Ohio. I have visited them in august last year, and then at new year and in march this year. I plan on going to the US again in may/june to visit florida and drive up to Ohio before flying home from there. Are there likely to be any problems with visiting the US every couple of months like this? I only stay for 1 or 2 weeks at a time

I have a job in the UK and will have return flights and hotel booking infor etc to show that it is a genuine holiday

Thanks for any help, just to put my mind at ease!
It depends on what you consider to be a "problem". Extra questions would be expected, but a refusal solely based on the travel pattern you describe would be rare. Longer visits, spaced close together would be more problematic.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

You may be getting the extra attention, as the US doesn't have anything like our Holiday Benefits, in the UK.

As long as you are not carrying any contraband, just answer their questions honestly, and don't give them any smart-arse comments or the excrement will hit the rotary oscillator.

Jim.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:16 am
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Y... or the excrement will hit the rotary oscillator...

Jim.
I'm sorry to interject this very irrelevant comment... I just laughed out loud big time when I read this... I had not heard it before, and it is indeed very funny !!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:25 am
Banned

ajb1701 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if I were u I wouldn't go again this year to the U.S I would give it 12 months between visits. The fact you have friends in the U.S might go against you. I mean at what point do you stay illegally with your American friends? Have they suggested to you that maybe you don't go home?. My girlfriend has two friends English girls who stayed in NYC illegally because of Sex and the City they were mad on it. I think the fact they made friends in New York was the clincher I don't think they would have stayed mad on it or not if they hadn't had met people to hang out if it was the 2 of them I think they would have come home we will never know. At some point immigration will suspect you will make a decision and they might make it for you. Like I say give it a year give it 18th months even have them come to you a couple of times. And with the talk of amnesty with Obama they might be even more questioning of you in June.

Last edited by ajb1701; Apr 12th 2010 at 7:45 am.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajb1701
I mean at what point do you stay illegally with your American friends?
With all due respect, this is an idiotic comment. He has been allowed into the US each time. He has not stayed illegally with his American friends, and to suggest he might is stupid.

My girlfriend has two friends...
Totally irrelevant to this guy's issue. Here's a thought - have you reported these 2 girls to US immigration? Probably not, I'll wager... this could be seen as aiding and abetting.

Ian
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:23 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I were u I wouldn't go again this year to the U.S I would give it 12 months between visits.
WTF? He's only done 3 short visits in a year by the sounds of it. Plenty of people come here more often than that and it's fine (I have people come and pay short visits for work reasons every 6 weeks or so). While there are never any guarantees as long as he heeds some of the good advice on this forum there's no reason to suspect problems.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:24 am
Banned

From their prospective not yet perhaps..... Its a fair point I have made and they may ask the same question of him right?

Why would I or we report them we live in England they live in New York what skin is that of our teeth?

How is it aiding and abetting I think I have made a fair point I am not telling the guy to stay illegal. I am saying he wouldn't be the first to do it because he had American friends though would he and they know it. He will have an easier time of it in 12 18 months without visiting than he may have in 6 weeks time with his 3rd visit 2010
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With all due respect, this is an idiotic comment. He has been allowed into the US each time. He has not stayed illegally with his American friends, and to suggest he might is stupid.

Totally irrelevant to this guy's issue. Here's a thought - have you reported these 2 girls to US immigration? Probably not, I'll wager... this could be seen as aiding and abetting.

Ian
I am sorry Ian are you serious going to say that the thought has never occurred to this guy to stay because of his friends. Friends tie you to a place Ian
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:42 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
WTF? He's only done 3 short visits in a year by the sounds of it. Plenty of people come here more often than that and it's fine (I have people come and pay short visits for work reasons every 6 weeks or so). While there are never any guarantees as long as he heeds some of the good advice on this forum there's no reason to suspect problems.
I agree. I don't see a problem with this travel pattern. The OP appears to be using the program as it was intended.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
I agree. I don't see a problem with this travel pattern. The OP appears to be using the program as it was intended.
Comment: This post is consistent with the idea that there are many different versions of what a "temporary visit" is. There is no true time test to determine what is a bona fide visit. The usual fact pattern presented in this forum involve people who make long visits here quite frequently. And even then, it may be kosher. There was a recent thread here from a person who was retired and owned a motor home in the US. The "gentleman" had such an attitude problem was that ignored the fact that he was actually admitted to pursue his touring. His attitude got in the way of figuring out how to accomplish his quite legitimate goals.

I'm not sure, but was there a thread from a person who happened to be a fan of a particular professional baseball team and would make frequent short visits during baseball season to attend games? Nothing wrong with that.

Conclusion -- unless you are concerned with maximizing time in the US, it is not something to worry about all that much.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Comment: This post is consistent with the idea that there are many different versions of what a "temporary visit" is. There is no true time test to determine what is a bona fide visit. The usual fact pattern presented in this forum involve people who make long visits here quite frequently. And even then, it may be kosher. There was a recent thread here from a person who was retired and owned a motor home in the US. The "gentleman" had such an attitude problem was that ignored the fact that he was actually admitted to pursue his touring. His attitude got in the way of figuring out how to accomplish his quite legitimate goals.

I'm not sure, but was there a thread from a person who happened to be a fan of a particular professional baseball team and would make frequent short visits during baseball season to attend games? Nothing wrong with that.

Conclusion -- unless you are concerned with maximizing time in the US, it is not something to worry about all that much.
An English person going to America to watch them playing rounders! There is something very wrong with that!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Its a fair point I have made...
No, it isn't... it's a silly point.

Friends tie you to a place
Friends may tie you to a place... they have never tied me to a place, and I doubt they tie most people.

Ian
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

give it a year give it 18th months even have them come to you a couple of times. And with the talk of amnesty with Obama they might be even more questioning of you in June.
Is this a wind up?

The accepted thinking with the VWP is to spend more time out than in and be prepared to demonstrate ties to the home country.

What "Obama amnesty" are you referring to?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:07 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light
Default OT: Immigration Reform Discussion (split from another thread)

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
What "Obama amnesty" are you referring to?
I think he's referring to the proposed paths to citizenship for Illegal Immigrants currently in the U.S.

To davejenk477, I think your visits are fine, especially because they're short. You were questioned for a longer time during ONE entry, and it may not be trend. Next time you enter they may not even ask that many questions.

For myself, the trend for me was for the border agents to ask LESS questions during my subsequent visits this past year (3 times total), but my situation is entirely different and cannot be applied to your case.

No offense to ajb1701, I don't believe having Friends in the U.S. will be viewed negatively. However, having Children who are U.S. Citizens, Spouses/Fiancees who are U.S. Citizens, may cast some doubts, but these people are not routinely refused entry either.

Last edited by lifehouse51; Apr 12th 2010 at 2:09 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.