Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Freelance writing while visiting USA

Freelance writing while visiting USA

Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:37 pm
Urz
Just Joined

Urz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freelance writing while visiting USA

I am an IT consultant (Australian living in the UK). I'd like to visit the US for a few months and do some travel writing while I'm there, although not necessarily for US publications.

Do I need a visa for this? If so, which one would be appropriate? (Given that I'm not employed as a writer, it doesn't look as though an I-visa would be an option.)

I'm eligible for an E3 but I don't know who could sign the labour market section given that I wouldn't have a US employer, and since the travel writing would be more a bonus addition to the savings I would use to support myself, rather than really being my income.

Can anyone help?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freelance writing while visiting USA

Originally Posted by Urz
I am an IT consultant (Australian living in the UK). I'd like to visit the US for a few months and do some travel writing while I'm there, although not necessarily for US publications.

Do I need a visa for this? If so, which one would be appropriate? (Given that I'm not employed as a writer, it doesn't look as though an I-visa would be an option.)

I'm eligible for an E3 but I don't know who could sign the labour market section given that I wouldn't have a US employer, and since the travel writing would be more a bonus addition to the savings I would use to support myself, rather than really being my income.

Can anyone help?
For up to a 90 day visit you can use the visa waiver
you cannot work ....but taking notes of your travel would be OK...
Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:49 pm
Urz
Just Joined

Thanks Ray. I'd want to do more than take notes, such as send articles for publication. I could always do that while on an excursion outside the US, but that does seem to be circumventing the rules (and maybe creating new issues in whatever country I'm visiting). I'm hoping to find a solution that would apply while I am in the US.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Urz
Thanks Ray. I'd want to do more than take notes, such as send articles for publication. I could always do that while on an excursion outside the US, but that does seem to be circumventing the rules (and maybe creating new issues in whatever country I'm visiting). I'm hoping to find a solution that would apply while I am in the US.
Journalist use the I visa ...you need an employer to get it for you ..
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:50 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

If you are taking notes for, writing, doing research for articles that will be transmitted and published abroad, for which you will be paid ABROAD into your UK bank account -- presumably by non-US companies -- then you can enter as a visitor using the VWP.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
If you are taking notes for, writing, doing research for articles that will be transmitted and published abroad, for which you will be paid ABROAD into your UK bank account -- presumably by non-US companies -- then you can enter as a visitor using the VWP.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
It's always hard to discern facts from newspaper articles, but your reply brings to mind this story from a few years ago:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004...5/usa.weekend7
(Journalist on VWP deported for not having an I visa...)
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:00 am
Urz
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rew1000
It's always hard to discern facts from newspaper articles, but your reply brings to mind this story from a few years ago:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004...5/usa.weekend7
(Journalist on VWP deported for not having an I visa...)
Thanks for referring me to the article. As you say, it is difficult to know what the real details were, but I did notice a few differences with my situation. I'm not employed by any media organisation so I'm not "entering the US as a representative of any foreign media" (as the author had mis-stated on her visa waiver form). I won't have any assignment before I arrive and may not even be successful in getting anything accepted for publication.

What I want to do is take a holiday, and while I am away from work and have more time, I'd like to put some articles together. They may not even be about the US. I could do my writing in London, but somewhere with the beach and maybe a little sunshine is more appealing than wintery drizzle!

I appreciate J Craig Fong's advice as well, and since he seems to be an expert will follow this approach for now. Any other thoughts are still welcome too!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

I wasn't trying to put you off - just thinking that there are a few words you might choose not to use at immigration!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rew1000
... just thinking that there are a few words you might choose not to use at immigration!
I agree... such as "work".

Ian
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:21 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

I read the nightmare story in The Guardian. There IS a difference, although it is significant, albeit slight. A "representative of foreign media" is a different matter than a free-lance journalist or author.

I gave my answer based on your statements about not having a specific assignment, doing "some travel writing," &c. Because you are NOT connected with a specific newspaper or magazine, and because it SOUNDED to me as if you were doing independent research, from which an article or two might result, I felt that the *I* visa was not necessary. After all, if you're a rep of foreign media, then from whom would we request the letter as proof of your employment?

You could be doing research or writing for a novel that you're writing which has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE USA. You could be JK Rowling, writing the next Harry Potter book just wanting to do some writing while relaxing on the beach in Hawai'i. Such a person should NOT need an *I* visa.

True: the story in the newspaper is very scary. If in doubt, there's always the Embassy. They'll let you know if they feel the visa is in order or not.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:29 pm
Urz
Just Joined

Thanks all for your advice!