Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Four month extension on I-129F approval

Four month extension on I-129F approval

Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:03 am
Just Joined

kashi1019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Four month extension on I-129F approval

my UK fiance and I received our I-129F approval in August. The NOA2 says it is valid from August 24-December 23rd. I have heard on this board and in various other places that you can get a 4 month extension on this. My fiance called the US Embassy in London on Monday and the person he spoke with told him that that 4 month validity period is irrelevent and we actually have 12 months to complete the rest of the forms, checklist, interview, and medical for the k1. I was not confident with this response because I feel like the NOA2 has a validity stated for a reason. I do not want to just not do anything and have our case considered abandoned, so I had him call back on Tuesday. He spoke with a different person who first told him that you have to do it within the time frame stated on the NOA2 then she put him on hold, went and talked with someone, and came back and told him the same thing about the 12 months. I dont know what to think?

Does anyone know anything about this? How to get the 4 month extension? If you have to fill something out, call someone specifically, or can indeed wait 12 months?

I'm stressing out. Please help!

I have also heard of a few people that attached a cover letter to their packet 3 checklist/forms requesting an interview in a certain month. Anyone heard of that?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four month extension on I-129F approval

Originally Posted by kashi1019
Does anyone know anything about this? How to get the 4 month extension?
They're right - you have nothing to worry about. If the I-129F period of validity runs out, it is automatically renewed by the Consulate. There's nothing that you need to do.

... a few people that attached a cover letter to their packet 3 checklist/forms requesting an interview in a certain month. Anyone heard of that?
Yes, some people do that... but there's no guarantee that anyone will do as you request. Still, it doesn't hurt to try.

Ian
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
They're right - you have nothing to worry about. If the I-129F period of validity runs out, it is automatically renewed by the Consulate. There's nothing that you need to do.

Yes, some people do that... but there's no guarantee that anyone will do as you request. Still, it doesn't hurt to try.

Ian

In years past they would automatically extend it if it is the fault of the Consulate to schedule an appointment in time. If you had an legitimate "good" excuse for the need for an extension, i.e. problem obtain police clearance in time from another country, death in the family, etc. you could ask for and get an extension.

However, if you just wanted to extend your time in the UK or wherever, then no, there wasn't a chance to get an extension.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 4:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Most people prepare, and this may be on the K checklist on the London website too, an updated statement of intent to marry. This is part of the Consular Officer automatically extending the petition approval validity.
We haven't heard of anyone from anywhere in the world having a problem with this since.. sheesh, MDYoung I think. They've been married over 7 years now, so it wasn't an issue.

You can request any interview date you like; I hear that they read them and try to accomodate people's plans, too.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:39 am
Just Joined

kashi1019 is an unknown quantity at this point

So I guess what we are going to do is work on getting the forms filled out and turned in (at least some of them) before our I129F expires December 23rd and attach a letter saying we do wish to extend our our approval for another four months. I will email this request to the consulate as well.

Do I have to call the extortion line and get the code in order to email the embassy this? Does anyone know? If so what is the extortion line phone number? I really do not understand what the extortion line is.

Then either send in the checklist sometime in February/March requesting an interview for May or wait and send in the checklist mid April (after my fiance's trip to the US) and hope that we get an interview in time for him to be here for the wedding July 30th.

How does this sound??
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kashi1019
So I guess what we are going to do is work on getting the forms filled out and turned in (at least some of them) before our I129F expires December 23rd and attach a letter saying we do wish to extend our our approval for another four months. I will email this request to the consulate as well.

Do I have to call the extortion line and get the code in order to email the embassy this? Does anyone know? If so what is the extortion line phone number? I really do not understand what the extortion line is.

Then either send in the checklist sometime in February/March requesting an interview for May or wait and send in the checklist mid April (after my fiance's trip to the US) and hope that we get an interview in time for him to be here for the wedding July 30th.

How does this sound??
You do not need to email the consulate for this. Just prepare a statement that you are both still intending to marry within 90 days of his arrival in the USA, and bring that original statement to the K-1 interview.

That is all that's needed. The embassy will automatically extend the I-129F approval if the interview happens to fall beyond the expiration date.

Rene