Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A fish might fall in love with a bird

A fish might fall in love with a bird

Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:27 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default A fish might fall in love with a bird

A fish might fall in love with a bird but where will they live ?

Apparently it's a greek fairy tale and is often used by mothers advising on the cross cultural/religious love affairs of their children

It seems most appropriate for people who have moved to other countries with the primary motive of being with their chosen partner (or pardner as we say in the west) and have to pay the price of being away from all that they have known and grown to value

I wonder what percentage of these people take to their new country of residence easily and what percentage take a couple of years to be reconciled to it and what percentage never do, and what tactics the 'in betweenies' deploy to make their new existence more than something to tolerate, more than a price to pay...

I started off in Wisconsin and then we moved to England and then Florida and now Washington State - and I loved and love my land of birth - England.

I am slowly becoming at home and settling in and even believe I might make it ! I buy 'little britain' DVD's and fools and horses and I listen to radio 4 on my computer and I go back to england 3 times a year. This has the dual effect of reducing the homesickness and, if I am lucky, it will be awful weather in england and the traffic will be appalling and I will be busting to get back to Washington after a few days, and I will be de-homesicknessed for a few more months. I also bring a ton of english mustard/branston pickle/bisto back too !

I guess that makes me an inbetweeny but it seems to be working and I am able to enjoy both places and relax more now

I have posted this on the 'returning to UK' forum so that people who are dithering over the decision, can hear other people's experiences and see if it strikes a chord and whether they can indeed make it in their new country