First trip on VWP

Old May 17th 2009, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

amykate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First trip on VWP

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Los Angeles with a friend in September. We'd like to do the ESTA application (am I right it's valid for 2 years?) and book our flight & hotel sometime this month. She's coming back home after two weeks because she has to go back to school but I'd like to stay for a bit longer, till sometime in December (less than 90 days, of course).

I have a question about the documents we might be asked to show upon entry:
* Does she need some kind of documents from her school stating when she has to be back? (However, she's planning to skip the first week at school to be able to stay in L.A. for the two weeks...)
* I have an internship starting at a company when I come back home but I'm not sure what I need to prove this... should my boss give me a written confirmation of my internship?

Other than these we'll have our return tickets, bank statements to show we have enough money to support ourselves, aaand....that's it. I hope it will be enough.

I have one more question. While my friend's there we'll stay in a hotel, but after she comes back, I'd like to rent a room to save some money. What kind of documents do I need to be able to rent a room there?

It's my first trip to the US, so I'm a bit confused about certain things... so, sorry if my questions sound stupid.

Thanks for your help!

Btw, I forgot to mention I live with my parents, so I don't have my own apartment or car or anything.

Last edited by amykate; May 17th 2009 at 10:01 pm.
Old May 17th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First trip on VWP

I've never been asked for more than my passport and return ticket. But if you wanna be sure bring some electricity bills or something to prove that you actually have commitments in your home country. But I doubt they'll ask for those. PS I'm holding a German passport.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amykate
Btw, I forgot to mention I live with my parents, so I don't have my own apartment or car or anything.
You *know* you can't work here on this visit, right? I just ask because you have been asking about working in the US.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

amykate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
You *know* you can't work here on this visit, right? I just ask because you have been asking about working in the US.
Yes, I know and I don't intend to do so.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Will you be renting a car ...