Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

First tax filing as a married couple.

First tax filing as a married couple.

Old Feb 19th 2001, 11:54 pm
Kano Ako

Greetings All

This question is in regards to taxes. I am a US Citizen and I met my wife in the Middle
East (though she is not Middle Eastern). She arrived here in the USA on June 1 and did not
earn any income while here in the USA, though she earned income while overseas yet.

I am trying to use turbo tax software to prepare our tax returns but it is quite apparent
that this situation is beyond the ability of turbo tax and from what I have seen initially
I will be unable to claim her as a dependent and that we must file separate returns. Is
this impression correct? What forms will she need to file (it does appear that she does
not meet the 183 day test).

Thanks Kano Ako [email protected]

Old Feb 20th 2001, 1:55 am
mjones

>Greetings All

Howdy,

>This question is in regards to taxes.

Of some minor help might be the following pages
http://home.nc.rr.com/hopperger/taxinst.html http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/irs2.htm
Regards, MIke

> I am a US Citizen and I met my wife in the Middle East (though she is not Middle
> Eastern). She arrived here in the USA on June 1 and did not earn any income while here
> in the USA, though she earned income while overseas yet.
>
>I am trying to use turbo tax software to prepare our tax returns but it is quite apparent
>that this situation is beyond the ability of turbo tax and from what I have seen
>initially I will be unable to claim her as a dependent and that we must file separate
>returns. Is this impression correct? What forms will she need to file (it does appear
>that she does not meet the 183 day test).
>
>Thanks Kano Ako [email protected]