Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Filing N400 and N600 while I 751 pending

Filing N400 and N600 while I 751 pending

Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

alina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nice
Default Filing N400 and N600 while I 751 pending

Hello,
can anybody please give me an advise.
I have a very complicated (my ex acused me of committing fraud marriage) I-751 waiver (good faith marriage) pending for 2,5 years now.
I came to US with my minor child and she is included on my I-751 waver
While it is pending I dot married again, had another child and my current husband adopted my oldest child.
In order for us to move somehow i 751 I want to file N400 for myself and N600 for my adopted by us citizen child, hoping that it will push i 751 somehow.
We already applied for my child us passport. I did not received it yet, but they said it was produced and mailed it to me.

Questions:
Do I have to let USCIS know about adoption and my child getting us passport while our with her i 751 pending

When I file n400 for myself and n 600 for her do I let them know

From the instructions where to send your application it's looks like I have to send N 400 and N 600 to different places or should I just send them both together somewhere to one place

What does it mean to file applications concurrently
If I file n400 and n600 at the same time do I file them concurrently

There is one of the requirements to file n 600 for adopted child is that the child has to be in legal custody of us parent for 2 years. We are currently waiting for 2 years since the adoption
I'm already eligible to file n400, but I think I will wait 2 more months and file them both together.
I hope that if n 400 would not push i 751 then may be at least n 600 will.
But I will see what happens
Thank you
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing N400 and N600 while I 751 pending

You have a very complicated case, and I am not sure if I would add more paperwork to it by filing the N-400 just yet.

In normal cases, yes...the N-400 will force adjudiction of a pending I-751...but you have so many other things going on with your two marriages and children, your I-751 waiver, etc....I just think filing N-400 would make it even more complicated.

But that's just my layman's opinion.

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

alina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nice

I agree, but what are the choices I have been waiting for 2,5 years for an answer, any answer at least.
If I do not have enough evidence for my previous marriage why don't they just deny it.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alina97
Hello,
can anybody please give me an advise.
I have a very complicated (my ex acused me of committing fraud marriage) I-751 waiver (good faith marriage) pending for 2,5 years now.
I came to US with my minor child and she is included on my I-751 waver
While it is pending I dot married again, had another child and my current husband adopted my oldest child.
In order for us to move somehow i 751 I want to file N400 for myself and N600 for my adopted by us citizen child, hoping that it will push i 751 somehow.
We already applied for my child us passport. I did not received it yet, but they said it was produced and mailed it to me.

Questions:
Do I have to let USCIS know about adoption and my child getting us passport while our with her i 751 pending

From the instructions where to send your application it's looks like I have to send N 400 and N 600 to different places or should I just send them both together somewhere to one place

There is one of the requirements to file n 600 for adopted child is that the child has to be in legal custody of us parent for 2 years. We are currently waiting for 2 years since the adoption
I'm already eligible to file n400, but I think I will wait 2 more months and file them both together.
But I will see what happens
Thank you
Well, calling on all our in-house walking immigration encyclopedias, all those savants, sages and seers. All those immigration rabbis, mahatmas, and pundits your advice is needed now.
Its slumber time now Alina, be sure to check tomorrow morning. Our savants have dozed off already.

IMHO I would file for for the N400 to get the 751 moving, but I also agree with Noorah101. Sorry to be wavering, but as a layman I would not know what to do myself.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No.

When you file they will know... since you will be filing these forms.

From the instructions where to send your application it's looks like I have to send N 400 and N 600 to different places...
Yes.

... or should I just send them both together somewhere to one place
Why would you send them to the same place, when they are supposed to go to different places?

Yes.

Why would you wait? They're going to different places.

It's the other way around. An N-600 will never push an I-751, but the N-400 will.

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You have a very complicated case, and I am not sure if I would add more paperwork to it by filing the N-400 just yet.

In normal cases, yes...the N-400 will force adjudiction of a pending I-751...but you have so many other things going on with your two marriages and children, your I-751 waiver, etc....I just think filing N-400 would make it even more complicated.

But that's just my layman's opinion.

Rene
Hi Norrah:

Agreed that adding more paperwork at this stage will complicate an already scrambled situation. But I see only a 751 waiver to be approved now, the prior events have been successfully dealt with by the OP. She had her removal terminated, joint application withdrawn and replaced by a waiver. Many events but no conflicts.

Alina, I think you should take referrals from our house lawyers. You need a skilled counselor who can repair the problems with your stuck I 751. Filing for the N400 while the 751 is pending *could* turn out nasty. An IO from hell ( rare) acting subjectively can create more delays putting the N400 on hold.

Last edited by lostlove; Oct 7th 2009 at 12:59 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask who advised you to file an N-600 for your child?

Once you become a USC, your child (if under the age of 18) will automatically become a US Citizen as well. The child should have a green card and that should be all that is needed.

1. Your naturalization;
2. You have custody of the child;
3. The child has a valid green card; and
4. The child is under the age of 18.

I believe the issue of the N-600 for an adopted child is if a foreign child is adopted by two USC's and not relevant to your child at all.

I would suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney on this before you file anything as expensive as the N-600.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:46 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

Are you recommending that a child who becomes a US citizen by action of law when their parent acquires citizenship should not obtain their own certificate of citizenship? This situation seems to be exactly one of those for which N-600 is intended.

I haven't filed an N-600 for my stepson yet, who became a citizen when my wife did last year, but I was planning to one of these days. The cost is a bit steep!

My thought is that someday in the future, when his mother and her immigration records are who knows where, it might come in handy (if he hasn't misplaced it). Although he does have a US passport his birth certificate would be of no help, in fact it would indicate that he is not a US citizen.

Can you expand a little on this?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
May I ask who advised you to file an N-600 for your child?

Once you become a USC, your child (if under the age of 18) will automatically become a US Citizen as well. The child should have a green card and that should be all that is needed.

1. Your naturalization;
2. You have custody of the child;
3. The child has a valid green card; and
4. The child is under the age of 18.

I believe the issue of the N-600 for an adopted child is if a foreign child is adopted by two USC's and not relevant to your child at all.

I would suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney on this before you file anything as expensive as the N-600.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much everybody and especially Ian.

I pretty much thought the same just was doublecheking myself

The only new thing for me is that you think n400 will help my case more than filing n600. I thought and actually my old lawyer ,that I had in removal ,told me that filing N600 might help to move i 751

So probably it is not nessary to wait since I send them in different places

About having the lawyer
I think I had 5 consultations with different lawyers

The first thing I did not like is the way they start pressering you to hire them.
One lady even told me we better start getting ready for deportation and start of gethering evidence for waivers from deportation
I'm not even there yet and theree is no need for the lawyer to scare me with deportation, I'm aware of my problems with my case
The other lady was from a very respected law firm but in order to go to the interview with me she wanted 5000 plus road expences - I found it crazy just for an interview
And the main problem every lawyer saw my case very differently
One told me he will only take my case if I withdraw my pending application and we file a new one together
I do not feel comfortable doing it
I'm pretty confident with all the evidence I put with my application
The last lawyer told me that since I already have a IJ decision about terminating removal based on acusation of committing fraud marriage they will not be able to deny application they will just hold it as far as they can.

And the first thing the lawyer will tell you - do not travel when you have problems
I have my parents and my kids want to see them
I will not stop traveling even if I put myself at risk , I will travel regardless
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

About N600
Nobody really recomend to do that I just know that since the child was legally adopted by US citizen he becomes US citizen.
Do not confuse here the situation when the parent files n400, gets us citizenship and child automaticly becomes US citizen
My situation is different
I'm not sure if I will ever be able become a citizen and may be if my I-751 will be denied I will be in removal again
Since adoption my child is a us citizen through her adoptive father
We can apply for N600 or US passport. We are going to do both. Already applyed for the passport and will apply for n 600 as soon as 2 year since adoption.
I believe if my husband would not adapt her she will face the same problems as I face now including possibility of deportation
In her case I hope they will not deport her anymore since she has a us passport now

But of course mine and her I-751 is still pending at the same time
Hopefully filing N400 and N600 will resolve it somehow
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Unfortunaltly we do not have a green card and who knows if we ever will
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Different starting point, but same end point - citizenship by action of law? Which means that there is no direct evidence that citizenship has been conferred. One would have to know the law to know that the adoption decree (or the parent's certificate of citizenship) had conferred citizenship on the child.

But I don't see how the child applying for a certificate of citizenship would force action on your I-751.

Regards, JEff

About N600
Nobody really recomend to do that I just know that since the child was legally adopted by US citizen he becomes US citizen.
Do not confuse here the situation when the parent files n400, gets us citizenship and child automaticly becomes US citizen
My situation is different.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, I am not.

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Rete,

Are you recommending that a child who becomes a US citizen by action of law when their parent acquires citizenship should not obtain their own certificate of citizenship? This situation seems to be exactly one of those for which N-600 is intended.

I haven't filed an N-600 for my stepson yet, who became a citizen when my wife did last year, but I was planning to one of these days. The cost is a bit steep!

My thought is that someday in the future, when his mother and her immigration records are who knows where, it might come in handy (if he hasn't misplaced it). Although he does have a US passport his birth certificate would be of no help, in fact it would indicate that he is not a US citizen.

Can you expand a little on this?

Regards, JEff
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:02 pm
Concierge

I realize it is and that is why I'm asking.

Unclear why filing an N-600 for the child would have any bearing on your I-751. The USCIS doesn't care if you have 10 USC children. Your case has no bearing on them and theirs have nothing to do with yours. Since the child is now a USC, she is no longer an alien awaiting adjudication of your I-751.

This is where my confusion comes in.

About N600
My situation is different
I'm not sure if I will ever be able become a citizen and may be if my I-751 will be denied I will be in removal again
Since adoption my child is a us citizen through her adoptive father
We can apply for N600 or US passport. We are going to do both. Already applyed for the passport and will apply for n 600 as soon as 2 year since adoption.
I believe if my husband would not adapt her she will face the same problems as I face now including possibility of deportation
In her case I hope they will not deport her anymore since she has a us passport now

But of course mine and her I-751 is still pending at the same time
Hopefully filing N400 and N600 will resolve it somehow
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:04 pm
Concierge

Unfortunaltly we do not have a green card and who knows if we ever will

If you are awaiting adjudication of the I-751 then yes, you do have a green card. Whether or not the date on the card is expired, you are still a permanent resident until told otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.