Is this feasible ?

Old May 2nd 2006, 6:45 am
Just Joined

bald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant future
Default Is this feasible ?

My intention is to turn up in the UK in 7 weeks; I have enough dough to keep myself going for about 6 weeks English P/Port, birth cert and hopefully a NI number from when I last worked here in 1970. I am independent and think I am reasonably resilient but in my mid fiftys, am I kidding myself to think that I can get a job, roof over my head and settle back in the UK ?

Regards BB
Old May 2nd 2006, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is this feasible ?

In my experience : could be done!!!
Which part of U.K. are you going to be returning to ?
With your NI number , you could be eligible for council help with rent and tax ; once you are installed in some accomodation , you can look at jobs etc.
Citizen Advice Bureau will help you , with advice and RentStart and so will
( probably ) your Job Centre !
Good Luck!
Old May 2nd 2006, 8:58 am
Just Joined

bald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant futurebald_badger has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ray51
In my experience : could be done!!!
Which part of U.K. are you going to be returning to ?
With your NI number , you could be eligible for council help with rent and tax ; once you are installed in some accomodation , you can look at jobs etc.
Citizen Advice Bureau will help you , with advice and RentStart and so will
( probably ) your Job Centre !
Good Luck!
I was heading for Norfolk, It's the last place I lived in.
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

When you meet up with the councillor at your local Social security , the issue of "strong local ties" may arise - where you might be asked to prove that you have some "links" to the area/place , historically ;
this , normally , is NOT a problem , I'm told .
The last I heard , the monthly maximum available towards a housing assistance for a single person is around 640 squids , but that might be the South-East of England maximum , and a different amount applicable for Norfolk ?
Your local CAB will be able to assist you quite a lot , I hope !
Cheers !
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray51
When you meet up with the councillor at your local Social security , the issue of "strong local ties" may arise - where you might be asked to prove that you have some "links" to the area/place , historically ;
this , normally , is NOT a problem , I'm told .
The last I heard , the monthly maximum available towards a housing assistance for a single person is around 640 squids , but that might be the South-East of England maximum , and a different amount applicable for Norfolk ?
Your local CAB will be able to assist you quite a lot , I hope !
Cheers !
Thanks for the advice. I was born in Hampshire where Mum came from we moved to Norfolk when I was a baby, thats where Dad came from, still got lots of rellies there. But my intention is to be self reliant, just might be a struggle for a while.
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:57 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bald_badger
Thanks for the advice. I was born in Hampshire where Mum came from we moved to Norfolk when I was a baby, thats where Dad came from, still got lots of rellies there. But my intention is to be self reliant, just might be a struggle for a while.
Are you the same Bald Badger who was here before?
Old May 2nd 2006, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Are you the same Bald Badger who was here before?
yes I was planning to do this a couple of years ago and was on this forum but I got sidetracked and ended up working on a cruise ship out of the states instead so never made the UK