Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Family based Immigration advice needed

Family based Immigration advice needed

Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

bobs21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family based Immigration advice needed

Hi,

I am currently residing outside the US and I already have a 10 year B1/B2 multiple entry US VISA. My sibling will very shortly apply for a Green Card (Family based- 4'th preference) for me. Am not sure what'll happen to to my B1/B2 VISA the moment the Green Card application is filed.
1) Will the VISA get cancelled since I'm showing an intent to immigrate?
2) Will I be barred from entering the US (if at all my VISA stands cancelled) till the time I actually get the Green Card?

Would really appreciate if you guys could help me out on this...

Many thanks,
Bob
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Family based Immigration advice needed

Originally Posted by bobs21
Hi,

I am currently residing outside the US and I already have a 10 year B1/B2 multiple entry US VISA. My sibling will very shortly apply for a Green Card (Family based- 4'th preference) for me. Am not sure what'll happen to to my B1/B2 VISA the moment the Green Card application is filed.
1) Will the VISA get cancelled since I'm showing an intent to immigrate?
2) Will I be barred from entering the US (if at all my VISA stands cancelled) till the time I actually get the Green Card?

Would really appreciate if you guys could help me out on this...

Many thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

My husband and I continued to travel for holidays on our B1/2 visas and then on the Waiver programe until our application became 'current'. We did not have any problems entering the US for vacations.

Just make sure you keep a good record (keep old passports if poss) of the dates and duration of all trips as you will need to note them on paperwork later on.

I hope you are aware of the waiting time - I know its long, but please don't be put off, as it's worth it in the end to finally be with your sibling(s).

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any other questions.

Best wishes,

Heather

Last edited by Heather142; Aug 20th 2006 at 12:20 am.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

As your wait is going to be 12/13 years ...
I would not worry about it yet ...
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
As your wait is going to be 12/13 years ...
I would not worry about it yet ...
I think bob means, what happens between initial filing and "file current" (ie what visa do they need for those 12/13 years). He wants to know if they will be in a sort of AOS limbo situation where they have to apply for advanced parole to travel during all those years, be barred from travelling at all, or if they can just use their normal B visa.

Correct me if I'm wrong though Bob. And sorry I can't answer your question.

Last edited by cinnabar; Aug 19th 2006 at 10:52 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 20th 2006, 2:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinnabar
I think bob means, what happens between initial filing and "file current" (ie what visa do they need for those 12/13 years). He wants to know if they will be in a sort of AOS limbo situation where they have to apply for advanced parole to travel during all those years, be barred from travelling at all, or if they can just use their normal B visa.
Its 12/13 years at the moment ... it may be 20 years in 5 years time ..who knows ..I cannot see them caring until nearer the time ...
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

bobs21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cinnabar

Correct me if I'm wrong though Bob. And sorry I can't answer your question.
Exactly, this is just what I meant. Can I continue to travel to the US on my B1/B2 during the period between initial filing and 'file current' ?
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobs21
Exactly, this is just what I meant. Can I continue to travel to the US on my B1/B2 during the period between initial filing and 'file current' ?
Hi Bob,

If you read the response to this thread from "Heather", you'll see that they did exactly this. They continued to use the B1/B2 until the visa number became current. So evidently it can be done.

Rene