F1 Visa Questions

Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

uk2la is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F1 Visa Questions

Hello,

I've been back in the UK from California for about 4 weeks now. I originally went out on a J1 visa which I switched to a F1. So I dont have anything in my passport regarding the F1 just the paperwork the college supplied.

Can anyone confirm all the paperwork that I am required to take to the interview at the London Embassy?

Also can someone post the link to where I can book appointment for the Embassy online or do I need to call up?

Any idea on the wait for the appointment dates currently?

Thanks in advance.....
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:02 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 Visa Questions

Did you study as an F-1, or just get the form from the school and depart? Did you complete a change of status while inside the US? If so, you should have more than just the I-20 from the school. You should also have a receipt.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg14624
Did you study as an F-1, or just get the form from the school and depart? Did you complete a change of status while inside the US? If so, you should have more than just the I-20 from the school. You should also have a receipt.
I studied as a F1 Student at Orange Coast College for the Spring Semester after completing a J1 Visa Internship. We successfully completed a change of Status whilst I was in California. I then returned home for the summer and now need to go get my Visa stamped into my Passport so I can return t continue my education.

I have the following paperwork from the college:

A letter of support from the college, saying I am in Full Time Education and haven't breached my F1 Visa.

I-797

I-797 A - Approval Notice of F1 Visa from 03/03/2009 for duration of stay

I-797 C

I-20 - With Stamp of Approval from Homeland Security

As I have already been accepted for the F1 when I go to have it stamped and reapproved in my passport will I require the following:

Will I need to bring proof of registration to classes for September?

Will I need to bring proof of insurance?

Will I need to bring proof of financial support?

Anything else?

Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:37 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk2la
I studied as a F1 Student at Orange Coast College for the Spring Semester after completing a J1 Visa Internship. We successfully completed a change of Status whilst I was in California. I then returned home for the summer and now need to go get my Visa stamped into my Passport so I can return t continue my education.

I have the following paperwork from the college:

A letter of support from the college, saying I am in Full Time Education and haven't breached my F1 Visa.

I-797

I-797 A - Approval Notice of F1 Visa from 03/03/2009 for duration of stay

I-797 C

I-20 - With Stamp of Approval from Homeland Security

As I have already been accepted for the F1 when I go to have it stamped and reapproved in my passport will I require the following:

Will I need to bring proof of registration to classes for September?

Will I need to bring proof of insurance?

Will I need to bring proof of financial support?

Anything else?

Thanks
The I-20 should be adequate proof that you will register for classes. You may need proof that you paid the SEVIS I-901 fee. You should be able to prove that you have the funds available to pay for school.

I don't know about the proof of insurance. I've never heard of anyone being denied a student visa because of it.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
I don't know about the proof of insurance. I've never heard of anyone being denied a student visa because of it.
You don't need proof of insurance to get the visa. The school will probably require you to have medical insurance, and some kind of medical coverage *may* be included in the fees that they charge overseas students, but that doesn't have anything to do with getting the visa.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Ok, so i've run into more troubles.

Basically I have only just received my passport back from the US Embassy with my F1 Visa. The college I was attending has already begun classes this semester so I can not register there. I had already decided I was going to switch educational institutes and their semester begins in a few weeks time.

I have a flight arriving back to the US on Thursday but now I have just received an email from my old college saying they are cancelling my I-20 form. I need this in order to register at the new college.

What are my options? Can I enter on a 30 day waiver and apply to the University and stay?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to get a bit worried.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't sound good
If you travel on the visa waiver program (which allows 90 days' admission, not 30) you definitely cannot adjust status from that to F-1.

The following I am less sure about:
If the old college has cancelled the I-20 then I believe your F-1 visa is no longer valid.
The new college will have to issue a new I-20, and you will have to get a new F-1 visa at the embassy. Hopefully this can all be done in time but you need to move fast.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:04 pm
crg
American Expat

They may mean the Form I-515A 30 day admission for F-1 students with problems. I would not attempt entry with a terminated SEVIS. The new school should issue an I-20 prior to entry. I'd say get a new I-20 from the new school. Even a scanned copy sent via email or fax should be okay for an initial entry of an F or M student.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies!
I've just spoken with the college and they have canceled my I-20 and Terminated my Sevis.

As I already have a flight booked, does anyone know will i be allowed to fly into the USA on a 90 day waiver, sort out my enrollment at another college get a new I-20 then go to a US Embassy outside of the States to get a new F1 Visa then return for class?
Can anyone see them having a problem with me doing that?

Cheers
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:47 pm
crg
American Expat

Thanks for the replies!
I've just spoken with the college and they have canceled my I-20 and Terminated my Sevis.

As I already have a flight booked, does anyone know will i be allowed to fly into the USA on a 90 day waiver, sort out my enrollment at another college get a new I-20 then go to a US Embassy outside of the States to get a new F1 Visa then return for class?
Can anyone see them having a problem with me doing that?

Cheers
It may be risky if they don't believe you will depart to arrange for the visa. I don't see why you have to actually go over there to deal with the school. It's not uncommon for people to make arrangements prior to travel.

Did you do the ESTA yet?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

I haven't done the ESTA yet, I am unsure if my F1 Visa is even valid anymore now my I-20 and Sevis have been cancelled?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:15 pm
crg
American Expat

I haven't done the ESTA yet, I am unsure if my F1 Visa is even valid anymore now my I-20 and Sevis have been cancelled?
The visa is likely valid, but you would most likely need to pay the I-901 fee again in order to use the visa for entry.

http://www.ice.gov/sevis/travel/faq_f2.htm#_Toc81222017

2.L. Can I reestablish F-1 student status by obtaining a new initial Form I-20 and reentering the United States?

Yes. However, you will be considered an initial student for SEVIS purposes. You will have to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and any time that you have accrued towards qualification for training or employment is lost.

You must have the new SEVIS Form I-20 showing that you are entering on a new SEVIS ID number.

You should be aware that the CBP inspecting officer will determine whether or not to admit you to the United States with the new SEVIS Form I-20. If you did not comply with the terms of your status during a prior stay in the United States, CBP may decide that you are not eligible to reenter.