F1 Visa Interview Help

Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Ten Stitches is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow F1 Visa Interview Help

Hello all. I recently got my I-20 approved and coming time to make an interview with the embassy for an F-1 Student Visa to the United States. I understand the interview process, and I know that establishing strong ties to the home country (UK) is a big deal. So here is my situation, I am a British Citizen, but went and lived in America for 7 years on an E-2 visa with my family as my father established a business (not existing anymore, sold it). And now we decided to stop renewing the E2 visa and have decided to go back and live in the UK, but I would like to finish my studies in the US since I am over halfway done to get my degree. My sponsor is my aunt that lives in the states, and funding the trip will not be a problem, its just the ties to home nation that is a concern. Other than saying my family resides in the UK, what other things could I state to let them know I am coming back? I am scared they're going to look at those 7 years and be put off. Any suggestions or tips for convincing them? What type of questions might I expect relating to home nation types? Much is appreciated. Thank you.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 Visa Interview Help

The bar of proof for nonimmigrant intent is set pretty low for F-1. If you have an approved I-20 and proof of sufficient funding, you should be fine.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:52 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You have to tell us, we can't tell you. What reasons do you have for going back to the UK after you complete your studies?

Do you want to go back to the UK after you complete your studies?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Ten Stitches
Other than saying my family resides in the UK, what other things could I state to let them know I am coming back?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

My main supporting point is that I left the US half way through my college education. I have around 70 credits, and since the system in the US works differently than the UK (with the A level, then med school, health school, whateverschool you want), I want to return to gain my bachelors so at least I have a degree that is universally acknowledged worldwide (or at the UK at least) instead of credits for classes that I dont know what to do with and where to count them.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

My main supporting point is that I left the US half way through my college education. I have around 70 credits, and since the system in the US works differently than the UK (with the A level, then med school, health school, whateverschool you want), I want to return to gain my bachelors so at least I have a degree that is universally acknowledged worldwide (or at the UK at least) instead of credits for classes that I dont know what to do with and where to count them.
That sounds totally reasonable. Tell them that.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerlesen
That sounds totally reasonable. Tell them that.
... but only if they ask - they may not - if the OP is lucky he will get the "fast track" 60 sceond interview where the CO spends almost all of their time just doing the paperwork ...
Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
... but only if they ask - they may not - if the OP is lucky he will get the "fast track" 60 sceond interview where the CO spends almost all of their time just doing the paperwork ...
Yeah, I am aware of the don't-ask-don't-tell. Luck is gonna play a huge part in this
Thanks for the help guys!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Don't sweat it too much, and let us know how it goes.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I have seen it should not be an issue.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

I wasn't asked for any proof of non-immigrant intent... I think they just need to get a feel for you during the conversation so be calm, polite and keep eye contact/don't fidget and as long as what your saying makes sense (which it does) you'll probably be done in under a minute.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Hope so guys. Thank you for the reaffirmation and help! Much appreciated!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Had my interview today, and happy to say I got it! Waited for ~3ish hours for the real interview, and lucked out and got a very nice lady. The interview literally lasted 20 seconds. I was honestly the shortest interview that day cause I timed some people before just out of curiosity.

Asked me what my aunt does for a living, if she lives in the U.S. and asked about my major and then said "visa approved". And that was that.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Had my interview today, and happy to say I got it!
Congratulations!

Ian
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Question: The first day of school begins May 8, and I have 30 days I can come before, so that means I can arrive in April 8, correct? I messaged my International adviser and she said "Please be aware that your count can defer from the way the immigration person could count the “30 days”. You may be refused entry into the United States if you attempt to arrive more than “30 days” before the program start date listed on your SEVIS I-20 form. " ... which doesn't make sense. Don't I just count 30 days backwards from May 8? Any confirmation on this?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

According to my calendar, April 8 is the 30th day before May 8. Just to be on the safe side, why not enter a week later, just in case?

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.