Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

F1 student travel after marriage and AOS

F1 student travel after marriage and AOS

Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

alcoa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: F1 student travel after marriage and AOS

Looks like the interviewing officer didn't do his/her job very well if s/he didn't even look at your marriage/re-entry timeline. Some of them are just lazy..

Just kidding. Congratulations!

Originally Posted by rakhmetov567
Just wanted to post the results of our interview here since anyone else searching on this subject might well want to know . We met with an experienced immigration lawyer (May group Pittsburgh, PA) who read over our files/forms and told us we don't need her assistance. She told us that we would certainly be asked about the issue of intent upon re-entry during the interview and that we need to be very careful about how we stated our situation (her advice: be very prepared for every question & contingency and the rationale she figured out we were trying to articulate was: the first time when her I-485 form was returned in early 2007 due to our errors demonstrates how little intent we had the first time and upon re-entry in 2007 she waited more than 30 days to apply for AOS, so her intent clearly was not to apply right away, we only decided to reapply later). While we don't know much about this firm because we didn't really work with them, their honesty and forthrightness about our not needing their services reflect well on their firm.
After all my worry and concern, we had our interview on February 26, 2008 in Pittsburgh, PA and the question never even came up!
Our interview lasted 25 minutes and only involved two real questions about our marriage: "Were you married in a church or courthouse?" (a church) and "Do you have pictures of the wedding."
Good luck to everyone going through this and to those who worry as much as me, my experience shows that worrying too much doesn't help. Relax, it will all go well.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alcoa
Looks like the interviewing officer didn't do his/her job very well if s/he didn't even look at your marriage/re-entry timeline. Some of them are just lazy..

Just kidding. Congratulations!
Hi:

Why do you say that? It looks like the officer did her job just fine. I can't fathom where everyone got the idea there was some type of visa fraud. I see this post began during my sabbatical from the list last year. I've been posting on this list for a long time -- I'm well aware of the 10-foot pole issues -- and it simply doesn't even begin to exist here.

Please enlighten me. Curious minds would like to know.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

rakhmetov567 is a jewel in the roughrakhmetov567 is a jewel in the roughrakhmetov567 is a jewel in the roughrakhmetov567 is a jewel in the rough

Interesting last comment. Wish I would have had this perspective at the time.

Seriously, some of the comments on here from people really freaked me out and sent me dashing for the lawyer's phone number. Had the lawyer not been so forthright that we really didn't need her help, we would have forked over badly needed money needlessly.
Next time I'll take a responder's rating into account.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting last comment. Wish I would have had this perspective at the time.

Seriously, some of the comments on here from people really freaked me out and sent me dashing for the lawyer's phone number. Had the lawyer not been so forthright that we really didn't need her help, we would have forked over badly needed money needlessly.
Next time I'll take a responder's rating into account.
Hi:

If she had been traveling on a visitor's visa or VWP, that is one thing. But it looks like she was attending school just like she was supposed to! The BIA ruled in 19-seventy-5 that getting married, or even having an adjustment pending is NOT inconsistent with maintaining F-1 status.

See http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol15/2349.pdf

That said, it seems that a lot of government officials and not a few immigration lawyers seem to be unaware of this case. Perhaps because the law is so settled
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

After all my worry and concern, we had our interview on February 26, 2008 in Pittsburgh, PA and the question never even came up!
Our interview lasted 25 minutes and only involved two real questions about our marriage: "Were you married in a church or courthouse?" (a church) and "Do you have pictures of the wedding."
Good luck to everyone going through this and to those who worry as much as me, my experience shows that worrying too much doesn't help. Relax, it will all go well.
Lovely news

Thanks for coming back to let us know the outcome.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:56 am
Just Joined

rakhmetov567 is a jewel in the roughrakhmetov567 is a jewel in the roughrakhmetov567 is a jewel in the roughrakhmetov567 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

If she had been traveling on a visitor's visa or VWP, that is one thing. But it looks like she was attending school just like she was supposed to! The BIA ruled in 19-seventy-5 that getting married, or even having an adjustment pending is NOT inconsistent with maintaining F-1 status.

See http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol15/2349.pdf

That said, it seems that a lot of government officials and not a few immigration lawyers seem to be unaware of this case. Perhaps because the law is so settled
That's a little known gem that would have settled this from the get-go! Glad to have this entire thread online now as it might prove helpful to anyone who happens to be exactly where we were.