F1 problems!

Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Shahadat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F1 problems!

Hi everyone,

This is the story. Applied for F1 visa because i was accepted to study at Berkeley this coming august. Originally i intended to attend there summer session prior to the start of the fall year.

Having gone for my interview on the 18th of June, i was told my visa application had to go for further processing and that they could not tell me the reason why. All they said was "you have brought all the necessary forms and if it were up to me i would give you it now, however, there is something on the computer that is saying you need to get further processed" hmmm

Anyway he told me to go away and wait for the embassy to email me when to send my passport and I-20 (university document) through to them. Inevitably, this passed my summer session date, and thus i had to request a new I-20 with a start date for the end of August instead of early July.

Here is where the confusion reigned. Having phoned the operated service line, they advised me that i would have to send through a complete set of new forms 156, 157 and 158 aswell as a new photo and the original I-20. When i phoned up again to make sure, the man said to email [email protected] to confirm. Having explain the situation to them they responded...

"Provided you have a new form I-20A-B showing the revised start date, you may travel with this form and valid visa." in their first email

and

"As the visa has not been issued, all that is required is your passport and a new form I-20A_B" in their second email.

Phoned up the operated services again, the guy, completely confused, says that i should have been given a reason at the embassy, goes to talk to a manager, who says just to listen to whatever the email said.

SMS delivery company are picking up my forms tommorow and it doesnt fill me with confidence that i actually know what i am meant to be putting into the letter! Right now im going for just the passport and the new I-20 as the email said, but whats the bet i get another email in a few weeks asking for a new set of forms/old I-20!

Anyone with any advice will be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:34 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 problems!

i dont know much about the nitty gritty of the visa forms BUT i do know that the staff on the telephone lines can tell you any old junk and not be held responsible. they are not known as the misonformation lines for nothing.
I would go with what the original person who you saw face to face told you unles someone comes along who knows better.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MsElui
i dont know much about the nitty gritty of the visa forms BUT i do know that the staff on the telephone lines can tell you any old junk and not be held responsible. they are not known as the misonformation lines for nothing.
I would go with what the original person who you saw face to face told you unles someone comes along who knows better.
Unfortunately the original person didnt really give specifics on what to send back down once the embassy requested my passport. I am not too hung up on why they asked for more processing time, i just want to look forward and send the correct documents down to them!

I am now thinkign that i should also sent my flight tickets which show me leaving in august and returning in December
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Lilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to all

Hi there...

I strongly suspect that they don't need new forms and photo as well as new I-20 and passport, but if you have a photo and have time to re-do the forms, it probably wouldn't hurt to include them...that way there can be no reason not to issue the visa immediately, and they can always discard the forms if they don't need them. But, as I say, I bet they just need your passport and new I-20.

Good luck, anyway, at least it sounds as if they've cleared up whatever issue they had before.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:34 pm
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point

Shahadat,

Can I confirm that they did contact you back after the first time or did you call them to check what was going on?

The first time you got delayed because of your ethnic name mate.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Shahadat
Hi everyone,

This is the story. Applied for F1 visa because i was accepted to study at Berkeley this coming august. Originally i intended to attend there summer session prior to the start of the fall year.

Having gone for my interview on the 18th of June, i was told my visa application had to go for further processing and that they could not tell me the reason why. All they said was "you have brought all the necessary forms and if it were up to me i would give you it now, however, there is something on the computer that is saying you need to get further processed" hmmm

Anyway he told me to go away and wait for the embassy to email me when to send my passport and I-20 (university document) through to them. Inevitably, this passed my summer session date, and thus i had to request a new I-20 with a start date for the end of August instead of early July.

Here is where the confusion reigned. Having phoned the operated service line, they advised me that i would have to send through a complete set of new forms 156, 157 and 158 aswell as a new photo and the original I-20. When i phoned up again to make sure, the man said to email [email protected] to confirm. Having explain the situation to them they responded...

"Provided you have a new form I-20A-B showing the revised start date, you may travel with this form and valid visa." in their first email

and

"As the visa has not been issued, all that is required is your passport and a new form I-20A_B" in their second email.

Phoned up the operated services again, the guy, completely confused, says that i should have been given a reason at the embassy, goes to talk to a manager, who says just to listen to whatever the email said.

SMS delivery company are picking up my forms tommorow and it doesnt fill me with confidence that i actually know what i am meant to be putting into the letter! Right now im going for just the passport and the new I-20 as the email said, but whats the bet i get another email in a few weeks asking for a new set of forms/old I-20!

Anyone with any advice will be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alix
Shahadat,

Can I confirm that they did contact you back after the first time or did you call them to check what was going on?

The first time you got delayed because of your ethnic name mate.

Good luck!
Yup they did contact me via email to send through my passport.

I figured as much. I assume its because one of the other (i dont know 3 million) people named Shahadat has a red mark on his name, and so they have to make sure im not him?

Or is it cynical to think that its just that i had that sort of name and there was no red flag raised at all?

In any case, i kind of understand them wanting to make sure and dont really hold any grudge- however im sure it can be checked in more efficient, quicker processes.

Anyway, documents were sent off this morning so just goign to sit and hope...might not be so understanding if it gets delayed more than the 30 days they said it woudl take.

Shahadat
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:00 pm
Proud owner of a Keg!

I figured as much. I assume its because one of the other (i dont know 3 million) people named Shahadat has a red mark on his name, and so they have to make sure im not him?

Or is it cynical to think that its just that i had that sort of name and there was no red flag raised at all?

In any case, i kind of understand them wanting to make sure and dont really hold any grudge- however im sure it can be checked in more efficient, quicker processes.

Anyway, documents were sent off this morning so just goign to sit and hope...might not be so understanding if it gets delayed more than the 30 days they said it woudl take.

Shahadat
Good luck! Keep us posted with your progress.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like AP/AR.

Quite common in Middle East/Pakistan etc
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sounds like AP/AR.

Quite common in Middle East/Pakistan etc
AP/AR? Apologies in advance if that is a common known term on this website, but i dont know what it means!

FYI i am applying with a british passport, at the London Embassy. Sorry, didnt note that in the original story
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

AP/AR? Apologies in advance if that is a common known term on this website, but i dont know what it means!

FYI i am applying with a british passport, at the London Embassy. Sorry, didnt note that in the original story
Administrative Processing / Administrative Review. This usually applies to people of Muslim faith or Middle Eastern heritage, since 9/11.

Rene
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Administrative Processing / Administrative Review. This usually applies to people of Muslim faith or Middle Eastern heritage, since 9/11.

Rene
Ah i see, that makes sence i guess. Just for interests sake, do you know what they actually do in these reviews? Just check my whole record etc? National Issurance number, Past travel and the sorts?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah i see, that makes sence i guess. Just for interests sake, do you know what they actually do in these reviews? Just check my whole record etc? National Issurance number, Past travel and the sorts?
Yes, those sorts of things. A deeper review of your case and history, most likely.

Rene
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

"Administrative Processing" or "Administrative Review" is the fancy name they give for additional security checks that are run after the visa interview. There is no estimated timeline for completion of the checks, which can run several months.

edit: oops, it helps to click 'post reply'.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Shahadat
Hi:

Although they will never quite admit it, and assuming you are of "Asian" [in the British usage] or Muslim background, it IS a "red flag" in the form of a "profile." We may not like it or even detest the profiling, but it is a fact of life. However, for your information, here is an exhaustive and excruciatingly complete list of your rights as a visa applicant outside of the United States:

[end of post]
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:16 am
Proud owner of a Keg!

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Although they will never quite admit it, and assuming you are of "Asian" [in the British usage] or Muslim background, it IS a "red flag" in the form of a "profile." We may not like it or even detest the profiling, but it is a fact of life. However, for your information, here is an exhaustive and excruciatingly complete list of your rights as a visa applicant outside of the United States:

[end of post]
Is the link or attachment missing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.