F-1 Visa situation

Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:29 am
Just Joined

kebekoi78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F-1 Visa situation

Hey all

This is the weirdest case to date I have to admit and I'd like your inputs about how to proceed.

I am from an EU country (visa waiver from the US)

Had F-1 (valid until 2001) back in 1996 to 1998 which was cancelled w/o prejudice in 1999.

Between 2000 and 2003 -> numerous trip to the US (was studying in Canada) and had a girlfriend in the US

In 09/2002 - proceeded with the K-1 thing
Got the K-1 visa and moved to the US in 02/2003
Got married to US girlfriend in 02/2003

Got the Conditional GC in 03/2004

Moved out of the US in 08/2004 to a 3rd world country and been out ever since. One trip back in 06/2005.

Lost PR status due to spending more than 1 year abroad.

Divorced with US girlfriend (now ex-wife) in 07/2007

Got accepted by US University for Master in 12/2007.

Current situation: No PR status

My question is :
Would they give me trouble if i apply for an F-1 visa with this convoluted history?
Would they frown upon me giving up PR?
Bc I am applying from a 3rd world country and not my country of citizenship how would they look at that?

Thanks

Cheers!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:03 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: F-1 Visa situation

Originally Posted by kebekoi78

Lost PR status due to spending more than 1 year abroad.
Hi:

Nothing weird about this -- happens more often than you might think. However, several things have me confused.

You are not clear about on how you lost LPR status. The above sentence would give the impression that you lost the status simply because of your absence from the United States for over a year. Since that is obviously not true, it would help if you clarified what actually happened.

Did you ever remove the condition? If not, then your LPR status expired by failure to remove the condition. Or did you do an I-407? I'll assume that you were never placed in removal proceedings. Again this should be clarified.

Other than being vague on how you "lost" LPR status, I would not be surprised if you have no trouble in getting the visa. Your immigration history does not seem to be bad at all.