Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Expired visa/prtnr pregnant? Now what?

Expired visa/prtnr pregnant? Now what?

Old Jan 28th 2001, 11:31 pm
russ_dawn

I am posting this message on behalf of a friend I work with. She has a daughter who is
almost due to have her first baby here in the US. Here boyfriend is from Checko.... who
came here two years ago to work. His visa expired about a year ago, I think. He was
informed in order to get a SSN he would have to travel back to his home country to get his
birth certificate translated.. However, because his visa has expired, and the fact that he
is concerned that he will be refused re-entry, they are both wondering what would happen
if they got married and filed the paperwork for adjustment of status... I know that my
husband and I done the fiancee visa and when I went to Memphis to get my work
authorization I encountered many aliens who had stayed here with over expired visa's, got
married and filed with no problem. What are the risks involved. He needs a SSN in order to
get work, please can you help us determine what they need to do next? Thanks Dawn ..
emailing on behalf of Pattie....

Old Jan 29th 2001, 12:12 am
Rita

Safest thing is for them to marry as soon as possible and file the I- 130 and I-485 and
I-864 with the local INS office. He will also file the I-765 for work authorization. Once
that is issued, as you know, he can get a social security card.

Under NO circumstances should he leave the US even if they give him advance parole if he
applies for it. Once he leaves the ban kicks in.

He may have to be without work for a while but perhaps his employer will allow him to work
knowing that he has applied for an EAD and that he is eligible for a social security card
as soon as it is issued.

Rita

Old Sep 13th 2003, 7:34 pm
Shannon

Even if he has to get his birth certificate translated he should not leave the US to do it. There are services that can assist

Old Sep 13th 2003, 7:55 pm
MrOrange

thats what I am thinking also..