Expired J1, what to do?

Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:02 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expired J1, what to do?

Hi all,

My Colombian boyfriend has overstayed his J1 visa, which expired in July. I suppose that extending it now that it has already expired isn't an option at all. But would it be easy to get another one if he leaves through, say Mexico, so his exit isn't accounted for by the government, considering that this was his third visa of the same kind?

Also, I'm a permanent resident but I wasn't planning on applying for citizenship (though I could) because I dislike the tax obligation attached to it. Is it possible to marry and sponsor somebody on a permanent green card or is this something only citizens can do?

What's our best option?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired J1, what to do?

What is the date on his I-94 (not the J-1 visa)?

You can marry with no problem, but if you're a US PR he will have a few years to wait until a visa number becomes available (which means he can't adjust status based on your marriage until then). In the meantime, he won't have a way of remaining in the USA legally while waiting.

If you become a USC, then he can file AOS and it will process right away (takes about 6 months for you to become a USC, then he files AOS, then it takes about 6 months for him to become a US PR).

If he's accruied more than 180 days of overstay, and he leaves the USA, he'll get an automatic 3-year ban from returning to the USA.

I do not know if he can get a new J-1 visa from Mexico. He should talk to the J-1 sponsor about that, I guess. Does he qualify to get another J-1?

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 25th 2013 at 8:30 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Also, I'm a permanent resident but I wasn't planning on applying for citizenship (though I could) because I dislike the tax obligation attached to it.
What is the difference between LPR and USC when it comes to tax obligations?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
What is the difference between LPR and USC when it comes to tax obligations?
The buggering off out of the US bit I would guess.

Anyway, to the visa situation, count the days, but if it is the I-94 that is dated July rather than the actual J1, then he's probably best not to leave the US and also worth speaking to a immigration lawyer about options.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura aboutF1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura aboutF1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bob
The buggering off out of the US bit I would guess.
Yep. If you are a well off US citizen and thus are taxed worldwide (except under limited circumstances) you can't expatriate without triggering an exit tax. Generally, residents can just leave.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully
If you are a well off US citizen and thus are taxed worldwide...
All US citizens are taxed worldwide... well off or not.

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully
Yep. If you are a well off US citizen and thus are taxed worldwide (except under limited circumstances) you can't expatriate without triggering an exit tax. Generally, residents can just leave.
I think you have that a little backwards. US citizens aren't subject to an exit tax unless they abandon their citizenship but the exit tax can apply to green card holders who expatriate with a large net worth.

http://connect.wolfsdorf.com/?p=894
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura aboutF1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura aboutF1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
All US citizens are taxed worldwide... well off or not.

Ian
That's right. Sorry. It was multiple sentences but there were lots of caveats which I deleted. For e.g. tax treaties/tax credits mean little double taxation unless income/wealth hit a certain amount.

Last edited by F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully; Feb 27th 2013 at 8:40 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
I think you have that a little backwards. US citizens aren't subject to an exit tax unless they abandon their citizenship but the exit tax can apply to green card holders who expatriate with a large net worth.

http://connect.wolfsdorf.com/?p=894
No. sorry for being unclear but the question was how does the situation differ between LPR and citizens. The answer is about what happens when you try to leave US tax jurisdiction. US citizens generally have a harder time leaving US tax jurisdiction.

1. All US citizens are subject to tax worldwide
2. Well off US citizens are subject to an expatriation tax if they try to give up US citizenship in order to avoid this tax.
3. Well off LPR are subject to an expatriation tax only if a no of conditions are met in which they are treated like US citizens. Main one is time spent in US.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
What is the date on his I-94 (not the J-1 visa)?

You can marry with no problem, but if you're a US PR he will have a few years to wait until a visa number becomes available (which means he can't adjust status based on your marriage until then). In the meantime, he won't have a way of remaining in the USA legally while waiting.

Rene
Even then, overstays are usually 'forgiven' on marriage to USC's not LPR's.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Even then, overstays are usually 'forgiven' on marriage to USC's not LPR's.
I know that forgiveness is usually forthcoming for unauthorized work when married to a USC, but an overstay? I'm not so sure... although it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility.

Ian
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I know that forgiveness is usually forthcoming for unauthorized work when married to a USC, but an overstay? I'm not so sure... although it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility.

Ian
Yes, overstays are usually forgiven when an AOS filed after marriage to a USC.

I'm not sure how it would affect things when the marriage is to an LPR, though.

Rene
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

Yes, overstays are usually forgiven when an AOS filed after marriage to a USC.
Ah... well then, excellent!

I'm not sure how it would affect things when the marriage is to an LPR, though.
Yup... could be tricky!

Ian
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:57 pm

There's no basis for AOS via marriage to an LPR. The overstayer would have to remain out of status until the LPR becomes a USC, and then an AOS can be done.

How's that for acronym usage? LOL

Rene
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

How's that for acronym usage? LOL
OMG! LOL! TANSTAAFL.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.