Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Expired Green Card and Entry to the US

Expired Green Card and Entry to the US

Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Vince P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expired Green Card and Entry to the US

This is just an observation from Dulles Immigrations 20 Dec 07.

I was travelling from Kuwait to DC (home) and my conditional GC had expired, though I had the I797 extending it by a year - I751 process. The United check in desk in Kuwait was very wary of the expired GC and a letter (I797) that looked like anyone could produce on a computer.
After haggling for a while I told them that I could enter the US on the visa waiver program anyway (Australian citizen), which they were a lot happier with - if I have a GC I assume this is not actually true - but ....

However, to enter on the visa waiver program you need a return ticket. Luckily I had another flight ticketed from the US back to Kuwait 3 Jan - so they let me go. At the time I was doing this there was another lady on the same flight checking in also with a GC.

Get to DC and after Immigration I was sent for secondary processing and a polite INS officer asked for my I797, pulled it up on the screen and sent me on my way.

Next to me in secondary processing was the lady who had checked in at the same time as me. Her GC was expired and the Kuwait check in staff did not notice. She stated that she was unaware that it had expired. It appeared that that the INS staff at Dulles were going to issue her an I131 (fairly sure that what they said) and send her on her way.

I provide this as there has been some discussion about expired GC and travel in recent weeks.

I only discovered this site after I had my conditional GC - wish I found it earlier. It has been very helpful for both myself and my wife with Australian residency.

Have a great break over the holidays.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:10 pm
Boxer's are the Best

iniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really nice
Default Re: Expired Green Card and Entry to the US

Originally Posted by Vince P
This is just an observation from Dulles Immigrations 20 Dec 07.

I was travelling from Kuwait to DC (home) and my conditional GC had expired, though I had the I797 extending it by a year - I751 process. The United check in desk in Kuwait was very wary of the expired GC and a letter (I797) that looked like anyone could produce on a computer.
After haggling for a while I told them that I could enter the US on the visa waiver program anyway (Australian citizen), which they were a lot happier with - if I have a GC I assume this is not actually true - but ....

However, to enter on the visa waiver program you need a return ticket. Luckily I had another flight ticketed from the US back to Kuwait 3 Jan - so they let me go. At the time I was doing this there was another lady on the same flight checking in also with a GC.

Get to DC and after Immigration I was sent for secondary processing and a polite INS officer asked for my I797, pulled it up on the screen and sent me on my way.

Next to me in secondary processing was the lady who had checked in at the same time as me. Her GC was expired and the Kuwait check in staff did not notice. She stated that she was unaware that it had expired. It appeared that that the INS staff at Dulles were going to issue her an I131 (fairly sure that what they said) and send her on her way.

I provide this as there has been some discussion about expired GC and travel in recent weeks.

I only discovered this site after I had my conditional GC - wish I found it earlier. It has been very helpful for both myself and my wife with Australian residency.

Have a great break over the holidays.
Thanks for the post!

My husband will be using his expired GC and the 751 letter in a couple of weeks. My husband has a Uruguayan passport and it is not part of the visa waiver program like Australia. I'll definitely keep you guys posted on what happens. Hopefully he won't have any issues with the airline.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:46 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iniaki
Thanks for the post!

My husband will be using his expired GC and the 751 letter in a couple of weeks. My husband has a Uruguayan passport and it is not part of the visa waiver program like Australia. I'll definitely keep you guys posted on what happens. Hopefully he won't have any issues with the airline.
I used my expired GC in 2007 for 3 trips with the 1 year extention letter they never even asked for it the card or the letter as far as I remeber.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I used my expired GC in 2007 for 3 trips with the 1 year extention letter they never even asked for it the card or the letter as far as I remeber.
Hi:

But POE Atlanta is a bitch.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 8:19 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

But POE Atlanta is a bitch.
LOL I hope SFO isn't with just a stamp in passport and no GC you never know with these guys.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 8:47 am
Account Closed

LOL I hope SFO isn't with just a stamp in passport and no GC you never know with these guys.
Hi:

I still remember when the Portland Port Authority was successful in having Delta set it up its "hub" at PDX for an extensive trans-pacific route system. The former INS was so successful in killing it that for several years there were NO international flights into "DePortland."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5BC0A9669C8B63

"Just doing their job."
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I still remember when the Portland Port Authority was successful in having Delta set it up its "hub" at PDX for an extensive trans-pacific route system. The former INS was so successful in killing it that for several years there were NO international flights into "DePortland."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5BC0A9669C8B63

"Just doing their job."
So the moral of the story is if you are Asian find another port to fly into.

They can't get away with this can they!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This incident took place over 7 years ago... they got away with it.

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This incident took place over 7 years ago... they got away with it.

Ian
If I had looked at the date correctally that would of helped I saw the 2007 and can't believe that they got away with it.....no wait yes I can lol
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

So the moral of the story is if you are Asian find another port to fly into.

Hi:

That is precisely what happened. For a long time, Koreans vacationing in Hawaii would not fly round-trip Seoul-Honolulu-Seoul. The favored flights would be Seoul--Los Angeles/San Francisco--Seoul with the return leg being through Honolulu.