Experience - AP in San Francisco

Old Dec 5th 2002, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experience - AP in San Francisco

On Tuesday, Nov 19, I went in person to the San Francisco office [entrance on Washington Street] to apply for my AP document. I went arrived there rather early (before 7:00am) and the receptionist gave me a number after checking that my application was in order and complete. I didn't have to wait that long (~1 hour). When my number was called, I went to the counter handed my application. The officer was very unpleasant (in my opinion at least), but after 20mins or so of having put red all over my application, he took a pick-up slip and stapled it to the application. I was asked questions: why I wanted an AP, when I was planning on taking a trip, etc. I asked him to check my address (I moved over 6 months ago, my address has not been changed yet). My file only showed up in the office database as "transfer from Detroit". I know that it is possible to check the address on the national database, but since he was so unpleasant, I didn't argue that he could do it, and assumed that my address on file was most likely still in Detroit. I went back to sit. My name was called. I paid the fee, was given the "official document" cash register receipt, and the pick-up slip for December 4 [should be 10 working days, but there was Thanksgiving in there].

Today [December 4], I went back to the INS office ar around 9:00am [entrance on Sansome street, where you need to show an appointment letter to use the entrance]. I went up to the second floor to room 200B. I put my pick-up slip in the slot of the door, keeping the "official document" cash register. I waited for what seemed a long time wondering if I had put the slip in the right slot. Finally, my name was called over the speaker system and I was instructed to go to counter 19 along with other people. My AP was ready there. It was valid until February 15th 2003 (disappointed about that!), but I do not know if it is a regular thing for this office or if it is because my AOS had been pending for about a year now and the expect my interview to be soon (somehow, I like to think that it is the second option ). The woman who handed me the AP was really nice and explained that it was multiples entries and valid up until February 15 2003. I asked if they could check my address, but she told me that she could not do it there, I had to go downstairs (where I went to apply for the AP).

Caroline