Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Excellent article about immigration in current issue of The

Wikiposts

Excellent article about immigration in current issue of The

Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

goldrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Excellent article about immigration in current issue of The Economist

Blenky16,

My point was not that there aren't qualified Indians out there. There are. I had mentioned 1 of my friend in my previous post. He works for Motorola. That guys credentials are genuine and he is very smart.

I was talking about the other kind of Indians who get into the U.S. by cheating and the rest of us have to suffer for that.

We all acknowledge smart Indians ... Engineers, Doctors, some lawyers, etc. We are just talking about the other half.

THAT IS NOT RACISM. Its looking at the facts. I wish I had the time to provide you the stats on this other half that I am talking about. But, I know they exist, because I know such ppl.

Nevertheless, no matter how insignificantly small the stats on this other half is (and I don't think the stats would so insignificantly small), it still should be considered a problem.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:24 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excellent article about immigration in current issue of The Economist

Goldrush,

I know what you're saying. The reason this is so sensitive is because you are singling out Indians (I know you are Indian and not a racist.) The truth is there are immigrants from a lot of countries that are cheating to get in the U.S. You are just extremely aware of the Indians that do it because you are part of the Indian community. At different times I've read posts on this forum about Ukranian scammers, Mexican scammers, Indian scammers ....... and the list goes on. Truthfully, most impoverished countries contribute their fair share of problem-child immigrants. I think that most people on this forum know the difference and we don't punish the "good" for what the "bad" have done.

Leslie

Originally posted by goldrush
Blenky16,

My point was not that there aren't qualified Indians out there. There are. I had mentioned 1 of my friend in my previous post. He works for Motorola. That guys credentials are genuine and he is very smart.

I was talking about the other kind of Indians who get into the U.S. by cheating and the rest of us have to suffer for that.

We all acknowledge smart Indians ... Engineers, Doctors, some lawyers, etc. We are just talking about the other half.

THAT IS NOT RACISM. Its looking at the facts. I wish I had the time to provide you the stats on this other half that I am talking about. But, I know they exist, because I know such ppl.

Nevertheless, no matter how insignificantly small the stats on this other half is (and I don't think the stats would so insignificantly small), it still should be considered a problem.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

blenky16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blenky16,

This used to bug me a lot and thats why I rarely talk to Indians these days.
Hmmm.. sounds a bit racial to lump all Indians into your "do not talk to" category just because there are a small percentage of individuals who lie about their credentials. What about those that live here in the US (or Canada) for that matter that have outright lies on their resume? Don't think that happens? I have only ever been asked once to submit my transcript (and yes, I hand it over in person as well), and all other times, they have taken my word for it. I know so many people who are born and raised here that do the same thing. It's not a problem with just Indians, or any particular race, nor should you exclude the fact that some of your "home breed" friends do it as well. Is it right? No. Not for a second, it is completely unethical. However it is up to the companies to make that distinction and correct it. But if companies so choose to move a portion of their business to another country, and it doesn't affect the quality of the work, then can you honestly say you blame them??!! Please, like I said, many North Americans don't live within their means, and their financial woes are only due to themselves, but of course, it is the first thing us spoiled North Americans do, point the finger to someone else.

Hey... just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Sean
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Leslie66
Goldrush,

I know what you're saying. The reason this is so sensitive is because you are singling out Indians (I know you are Indian and not a racist.) The truth is there are immigrants from a lot of countries that are cheating to get in the U.S. You are just extremely aware of the Indians that do it because you are part of the Indian community. At different times I've read posts on this forum about Ukranian scammers, Mexican scammers, Indian scammers ....... and the list goes on. Truthfully, most impoverished countries contribute their fair share of problem-child immigrants. I think that most people on this forum know the difference and we don't punish the "good" for what the "bad" have done.

Leslie
You are right. I focus on them because I am a part of the Indian community.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:33 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by blenky16
but of course, it is the first thing us spoiled North Americans do, point the finger to someone else.
It's ALWAYS easier to point your finger at others...not just for Americans.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Hmmm.. sounds a bit racial to lump all Indians into your "do not talk to" category just because there are a small percentage of individuals who lie about their credentials. What about those that live here in the US (or Canada) for that matter that have outright lies on their resume? Don't think that happens? I have only ever been asked once to submit my transcript (and yes, I hand it over in person as well), and all other times, they have taken my word for it. I know so many people who are born and raised here that do the same thing. It's not a problem with just Indians, or any particular race, nor should you exclude the fact that some of your "home breed" friends do it as well. Is it right? No. Not for a second, it is completely unethical. However it is up to the companies to make that distinction and correct it. But if companies so choose to move a portion of their business to another country, and it doesn't affect the quality of the work, then can you honestly say you blame them??!! Please, like I said, many North Americans don't live within their means, and their financial woes are only due to themselves, but of course, it is the first thing us spoiled North Americans do, point the finger to someone else.

Hey... just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Sean
Sean,

Do you think its ok to invite trouble from outside the borders on the pretext that we ALREADY have trouble within our borders?

So, since we have Americans and Canadians already doing a lot of cheating, it won't make any difference if we had a few more cheaters come-in and do their thing, right?

I agree with you that everyone cheats ... regardless of race or nationality. But, since I am an Indian American, I focus on Indians.

I hope no hard feelings. :-)
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Steffi
It's ALWAYS easier to point your finger at others...not just for Americans.
Just because it's easy to do doesn't make it right
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:37 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Just because it's easy to do doesn't make it right
Nope, it definitely isn't right. I'm just pointing out that it's the easy way out to blame others over yourself, right?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:45 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, both of you, speak for yourselves. I personally don't blame immigrants or other countries for any of my problems. It's called taking responsibility.

Leslie

Originally posted by Steffi
Nope, it definitely isn't right. I'm just pointing out that it's the easy way out to blame others over yourself, right?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Sean,

Do you think its ok to invite trouble from outside the borders on the pretext that we ALREADY have trouble within our borders?

So, since we have Americans and Canadians already doing a lot of cheating, it won't make any difference if we had a few more cheaters come-in and do their thing, right?

I agree with you that everyone cheats ... regardless of race or nationality. But, since I am an Indian American, I focus on Indians.

I hope no hard feelings. :-)
No hard feelings... however, let's go back to one of your previous threads... one which I originally took exception with... as my case is more with the fact that employers are outsourcing to companies like India and not importing ppl into the country...

Motorola recently spun-off their semiconductors sector. One of their biggest project - Optimization project - will now be undertaken by India. That sucks, we are as smart or smarter than Indians.
Does it suck to have this happen? Yes. Most definitely. But it is reality, as the costs to produce products in North America are out of control. Being able to take products to another country is now reality, 1) because of technology the world is a "smaller" place, and 2) the other countries have highly skilled individuals as well.

Your statement that we are as smart or smarter than Indians was the one that kinda got to me... that's a pretty big blanket statement that is hard to swallow. Where is the basis for this information? Don't get me wrong, I love the US and Canada, and we produce some great individuals, but the reality is, there are many other countries in the world that produce just as smart individuals.

The other issue I took too was also Supernav's comment about (sorry it had nothing to do with you on this part, but more the way the conversation was going in general)....

It has nothing to do with them being "expensive".

Indians don't have $80,000 college bills for their 4 years of education for their degree. Most indian programmers go through 4 month crash courses and start writing VB code right away with no credit card bills to pay. And of course "pad" their resumes when applying for US visas (oh don't even try to argue this fact).

Indians don't have $400,000 house mortgages.

Indians don't have 35% income tax and 8% state tax.

Most indians don't have health care.

Most indians don't pay $1.87 for gas, and spend 1 hour+ each day commuting.

Most indians don't have to buy $35,000 cars and $120 ins payment for their vehicles.

People in these countries live in tiny villages, food is cheap, utility bills are cheap, education is cheap and have 10% the monthly cost of living Americans have.

If you threw those same Indians into middle of Missouri -- trust me -- they woudln't be able to survive on $3/day.
I have never heard such garbage in my life. Has this person ever stepped foot in another country before? Does he know the price of real-estate elsewhere... ESPECIALLY in countries with far less land per capita then US or Canada? Come on, let's be realistic. And let's not go over the above economics again... I should feel bad for this guy who is living in a $400,000 house, driving $35,000 car?? Heck, I am happy to have a job, live with my inlaws, and drive a freakin Honda Civic... cause I live in reality to my paycheck!!

Again, no hard feelings, just try not to make blanket statements about a race, even if you are apart of that race, it doesn't make it any more right or acceptable.

Cheers,
Sean
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Hey, both of you, speak for yourselves. I personally don't blame immigrants or other countries for any of my problems. It's called taking responsibility.

Leslie
Leslie...

Amen to that. My mess of a life is my responsibility... I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth... I have to earn it!!!

Cheers and Happy Halloween,
Sean
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:12 am
K1 via London

Leslie
Well I meant in general actually. Think about kids: "who broke this?"...*point at sibling*..."s/he did". I think it must just be a human survival method. Get the heat off yourself, hehe.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Blenky16,

Hi:

Take it easy -- I've noted over the years that it is quite common for people, including legislator to conflate illegal conduct in violation of the law with "loopholes" in the law.

The "sham" marriages are not the result of any "loophole" in the law, they are a violation of the law -- but they get percieved as being "loopholes" when they are no such thing.

And believe, I know a "loophole" when I see one -- I'm quite good a finding them and driving a truck right through.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:46 am
WTF?

HEE HEE HEE

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Take it easy -- I've noted over the years that it is quite common for people, including legislator to conflate illegal conduct in violation of the law with "loopholes" in the law.

The "sham" marriages are not the result of any "loophole" in the law, they are a violation of the law -- but they get percieved as being "loopholes" when they are no such thing.

And believe, I know a "loophole" when I see one -- I'm quite good a finding them and driving a truck right through.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:46 am
K1 via London

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Have you had "couples" come up to you to get help from you that weren't real couples but just out for the GC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.