Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Evidence of Time in US? Children's Citizenship

Evidence of Time in US? Children's Citizenship

Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of
Default Evidence of Time in US? Children's Citizenship

As this is an ongoing post about my case, I need to ask a side point, and wonder if I should post a new thread or proceed here.

As I mentioned earlier, I was at the embassy today trying to register my kids births and get their passports. However the only proof that I have is a transcript from college of my physical presence in the USA, which covers about half of it(mum and dad kindly threw out ALL my stuff when I got married and moved to the UK!). I was in the US on total for over 6 years and in fact throughout that time i was a part time intern at a law firm. I intend to get the lawyer to write an offical letter stating the dates I was at the firm over the 6 years and he said he will get it notarized, and I am praying that will be acceptable. If not then I've been told that I would need to get them green cards and if I wanted to do that as a dcf it would also need to be an
I130. Will they also need sponsors? Apparently upon arrival in the US they automatically become citizens?

This may be the wrong place to post this, so pls let me know if it is and if so where to post it instead. Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:37 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Embassy DCF - Help pls

f,

Well, the acronym DCF does refer specifically to filing the I-130 petition, nothing else. And since you're filing I-130 with the CIS office in London you aren't doing DCF anyway. (I know that doesn't answer your question, but I thought you should understand what it you are doing. )

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by frank09
.... I've been told that I would need to get them green cards and if I wanted to do that as a dcf it would also need to be an
I130. ....
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Evidence of Time in US? Children's Citizenship

I get it Jeff!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Will they also need sponsors?
If you mean a financial sponsor - as in an I-864? No. You would file form I-864W for the children.

Ian
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you mean a financial sponsor - as in an I-864? No. You would file form I-864W for the children.

Ian
Thanks for the reply (and to whoever moved the post new a new thread!)

Could I please ask for the steps to this route.

I would need to file an I130 at the london embassy for each of my children.

On the embassy website it has a couple of pages as to what the next step for a spouse will be but not what it would be for a child.

Ian, you say that the next step I would need to fill in the I864W

What other forms would need to be filled in?

Is the medical required?

An interview?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, for the kids, it's all exactly the same as for your spouse (minus one G-325a I think). The get the I-130, and then all the same visa app docs as your wife.
Use I-864W instead of I-864.

But you DO meet the criteria to pass along UScitz, right? You just need to prove it better.

What about any pay or employment records from that internship? If you don't have anything, might the company?

PS: I split this Q off as your other thread is so big that new items won't get the eyes on them.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Frank, for the kids, it's all exactly the same as for your spouse (minus one G-325a I think). The get the I-130, and then all the same visa app docs as your wife.
Use I-864W instead of I-864.

But you DO meet the criteria to pass along UScitz, right? You just need to prove it better.

What about any pay or employment records from that internship? If you don't have anything, might the company?

PS: I split this Q off as your other thread is so big that new items won't get the eyes on them.
thanks mea! I appreciate it.
I lived in the US for over 6 years - I am racking my brain for prrof. I was in college there, but the person at the embassy today told me that as i didnt do summer school, an academic year is just 9 months. I'm feeling so low at the moment as I can't even think of what else I can get as proof. And the guy today was basically saying, if you cant get the proof go a diffrent route. Its ironic that my wife is closer to being allowed to live in the states then my children. Also, the I864 states that its supposed to be filled in for a child and the I864W says its supposed to be filled in for a child. I also cant see where is says what documents are required for a child I130.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Your spouse is following along the Immediate Relative immigrant visa path.
Immediate Relative Category

Who is eligible?

Spouse of a U.S. citizen; parent or step-parent of a U.S citizen; child or stepchild under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen and spouse of a deceased U.S. citizen. Note: A step-parent or child will qualify for immigration only if the marriage creating the step parent/child relationship occurs before the child's eighteenth birthday.

How do I apply?

The first step in applying for an immigrant visa is for the U.S. citizen (petitioner) to file an immigrant visa petition, Form I-130, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A separate petition must be filed for each person immigrating. U.S. citizens resident in the United Kingdom may file the petition, Form I-130, with the Department of Homeland Security (Immigration) in London; U.S. citizens residents in the United States should contact their their local USCIS office for further information. Note: A petition cannot be filed for a spouse until the marriage ceremony has taken place. The natural child of a U.S. citizen may have claim to U.S. citizenship. A petition cannot be filed until it has been established that the child is not a U.S. citizen.

Next step
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html
How do I file the petition?

Download and utilize the following checklists to file your I-130; they contain easy-to-follow detailed instructions.

* I-130 Petition for Alien Child [PDF, 2 pages]

Next step:
What happens after the I-130/I-360 is approved?

Filing your I-130/I-360 petition is only the first step of a two-part process. If your immediate relative petition is approved, the petitioner will receive a Notice of Approval. The original I-130/I-360 will normally be transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the U.S. Consulate in the country where the beneficiary resides (unless you have specified otherwise on the I-130). The Immigrant Visa Unit will then process the immediate relative beneficiary for an immigrant visa.

For beneficiaries residing in the UK: If you have questions concerning the second part of the processing (Immigrant Visa Processing); you can visit http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...ivprocess.html or alternatively, you may contact the Customer Call Centre at 09042-450-100.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:41 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

f,

???? Page 3 of the I-130 instructions, upper left corner, item #3.

Regards, JEff

....I also cant see where is says what documents are required for a child I130.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:57 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So you are not a US Citizen by birth? How did you derive your citizenship. What about doctors' records for the time you lived in the US? School records from elementary, junior and high schools? Did you pay federal taxes during any of the required years? Do you have copy of leases? Did you pay utilities, i.e. electric, telephone? Was the phone number listed? Can you get a hold of the phone book for those years showing your name and address and number? What about car ownership and car insurance? Did you have credit cards? Were you registered to vote? Were signed up for selective service?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

Presumably while you were in the US you used money and lived somewhere, and maybe travelled around somehow?

Bank Statements are a great proof of where you were and when. Get copies from your bank.

Rent or mortgage agreements/statements.

Did you have a car? Insurance details, old driving licenses.

Tax records?

Passport?

Did you make any friends while you were there? Notarised sworn affidavits from several USC friends might help.

Your presence in the US would have left records of all sorts, unless you were a bum living on skid row.

Last edited by Englishman in Eugene; Oct 22nd 2009 at 7:18 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
f,

???? Page 3 of the I-130 instructions, upper left corner, item #3.

Regards, JEff
I dont know how I missed that. Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
So you are not a US Citizen by birth? How did you derive your citizenship. What about doctors' records for the time you lived in the US? School records from elementary, junior and high schools? Did you pay federal taxes during any of the required years? Do you have copy of leases? Did you pay utilities, i.e. electric, telephone? Was the phone number listed? Can you get a hold of the phone book for those years showing your name and address and number? What about car ownership and car insurance? Did you have credit cards? Were you registered to vote? Were signed up for selective service?
I am a US citizen by birth, only I was born in the UK. I first lived in the US at the age of 18 till I was 24. But through those years I was in College. I had a bank account joint with my Mum. But they wanted to see months and months worth of statements. Will see if I can get hold of them but even then they may say that because its a joint account its not proof.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
Presumably while you were in the US you used money and lived somewhere, and maybe travelled around somehow?

Bank Statements are a great proof of where you were and when. Get copies from your bank.

Rent or mortgage agreements/statements.

Did you have a car? Insurance details, old driving licenses.

Tax records?

Passport?

Did you make any friends while you were there? Notarised sworn affidavits from several USC friends might help.

Your presence in the US would have left records of all sorts, unless you were a bum living on skid row.
Will be getting hold of bank statements today. I lived with my parents.
The person I saw in the embassy said that tax records don't count.

I certainly cant get USC's to sign sworn affidavits but what should I have them say? A letter from a friend saying that they know me is one thing but won't it be a bit strange if they say "I know him and can confirm that he lived in the US from such a date to such a date to such a date"...
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Will be getting hold of bank statements today. I lived with my parents.
The person I saw in the embassy said that tax records don't count.

I certainly cant get USC's to sign sworn affidavits but what should I have them say? A letter from a friend saying that they know me is one thing but won't it be a bit strange if they say "I know him and can confirm that he lived in the US from such a date to such a date to such a date"...

Now I'm really confused, if your parent(s) had the right to pass on US Citizenship to you, wherein is the problem with the US Consulate? Is there a regulation that states that YOU must have lived in the US for a certain number of years between the ages of 14 and whatever before you are eligible to pass on your US Citizenship to your children?

So you never actually lived in the US then as a child; only as an adult. That's the problem I gather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.