Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA's, Criminal Records in the States, and B visas.

ESTA's, Criminal Records in the States, and B visas.

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

CluelessCarter is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy ESTA's, Criminal Records in the States, and B visas.

Hi all,

I'm 20 years old and am Currently on the J1 Program and i'm also currently the worlds biggest idiot.

I was Arrested but have not yet had my court date with Possession of a Controlled substance (1 pill at Coachella) as well as possession of a fake ID. I was booked for it, AKA fingerprints, retina scan etc.

I understand, because of question B on the ESTA, I am pretty much never going to get one, even if i'm not convicted.

This means i will always have to go down the route of a B Visa at the embassy, correct?

If there's anyone who was arrested but not convicted, can you tell me how that affects the Visa application? Or even any advice, I want to know how each possible conviction may affect my future chances of returning to the states. (The worst case scenario is i am given a drug diversion program + fines, the best case scenario is that the charges will be dropped)

Thanks,
CluelessCArter

Last edited by CluelessCarter; Apr 22nd 2015 at 9:34 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 2:42 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA's, Criminal Records in the States, and B visas.

Originally Posted by CluelessCarter
Hi all,

I'm 20 years old and am Currently on the J1 Program and i'm also currently the worlds biggest idiot.

I was Arrested but have not yet had my court date with Possession of a Controlled substance (1 pill at Coachella) as well as possession of a fake ID. I was booked for it, AKA fingerprints, retina scan etc.

I understand, because of question B on the ESTA, I am pretty much never going to get one, even if i'm not convicted.

This means i will always have to go down the route of a B Visa at the embassy, correct?

If there's anyone who was arrested but not convicted, can you tell me how that affects the Visa application? Or even any advice, I want to know how each possible conviction may affect my future chances of returning to the states. (The worst case scenario is i am given a drug diversion program + fines, the best case scenario is that the charges will be dropped)

Thanks,
CluelessCArter
The diversion program may or may not count as a conviction. If you have to plead guilty to get the deal, and a penalty of some kind then it would most likely count as a conviction. A lot depends on the jurisdiction. Where did it happen?

Sometimes if you don't have to enter a no contest or guilty plea and it is eventually dismissed following community service, that may not count as a conviction.

If you can get it down to a disorderly conduct instead of a controlled substance, that would likely alleviate the immigration consequences of conviction. Legal representation from some familiar with immigration consequences may be a good idea right now. These things are quite complicated.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 2:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

ESTA days are probably over so yes you would be looking at a B, depend on what the pill was.

What was the fake ID?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
ESTA days are probably over so yes you would be looking at a B, depend on what the pill was.

What was the fake ID?
Are they stopping the ESTA program? The pill was MDMA, around 100mg (Small dose) manufactured in the USA so hopefully they wont ever think i was traffiking the stuff (i wasn't, and would never).

The fake ID was a replica of a british drivers licence with my birthdate changed from 94 to 93.

Thanks very much for the reply,

EDIT: Oh you meant ESTA's days are over for me.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
The diversion program may or may not count as a conviction. If you have to plead guilty to get the deal, and a penalty of some kind then it would most likely count as a conviction. A lot depends on the jurisdiction. Where did it happen?
It happened at Coachella Valley music and arts festival, California. I was given a Misdemeanor for both the crimes.

Yeah i spoke to a criminal Defense lawyer and an immigration lawyer who work together, however to retain them both it would cost $10,000
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Are they stopping the ESTA program?
No - but a drug conviction will almost surely make you permanently ineligible to use ESTA.

Ian
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You can't be 'given a misdemeanor'. That is the class of offense - misdemeanor or the much more serious felony.

It simply means that you are charged with a misdemeanor (or two). The outcome, as you have said, is yet to be determined.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:38 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The drug arrest alone has killed his ability to honestly/successfully use ESTA. So a visa is required. A drug conviction would require a waiver of inadmissibility to overcome prior to visa issuance.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:54 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in practice, my "maven" on the interface between California Criminal law and immigration was Mathew L. Millen, tel: 310-470-8071.

Old Apr 24th 2015, 6:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention -- OP is asking about future trips to the US. I wonder why no discussion of CURRENT status.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Forgot to mention -- OP is asking about future trips to the US. I wonder why no discussion of CURRENT status.
Are you suggesting the OP is lucky not to have been deported or somesuch?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I was wondering the same.

Any idea?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi all, Currently, i am here as a J1 Exchange Student. My court date is after i fly home, and no, they do not deport for Misdemeanors.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, Currently, i am here as a J1 Exchange Student. My court date is after i fly home, and no, they do not deport for Misdemeanors.
I'm certainly no lawyer but my understanding is that missing a court date is a "bad thing".
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Cali prop 977 allows an Attorney to appear in court on my behalf in the case of Misdemanors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.