ESTA for visiting boyfriend

Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA for visiting boyfriend

Originally Posted by tht
also most places its a requirement of getting married that you can't already be married. So if you do a registry office, the next wedding will be a blessing or similar. for example if you did it in a church I don't believe you could sign a second wedding certificate. ....
[For the benefit only of others reading this thread, and not the OP]

In the same country, yes I agree, and technically in different countries too, but given that there is no global registry of marriages, marrying the same person twice, I think it is safe to say, is not exactly a crime that is high up Interpol's list of priorities right now.

So I don't see any harm in a quick trip to the court house, or to a drive through chapel in Vegas, to get some paperwork to file with USCIS and then a fancy church wedding back in the UK later.

Perversely there are plenty of people who think that a marriage in a far off location somehow is "not valid", and then do a registry office wedding back in the UK, or courthouse wedding in the US for that matter, "just to make sure".

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 12th 2014 at 3:00 am.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:52 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
[For the benefit only of others reading this thread, and not the OP]

In the same country, yes I agree, and technically in different countries too, but given that there is no global registry of marriages, marrying the same person twice, I think it is safe to say, is not exactly a crime that is high up Interpol's list of priorities right now.

So I don't see any harm in a quick trip to the court house, or to a drive through chapel in Vegas, to get some paperwork to file with USCIS and then a fancy church wedding back in the UK later.

Perversely there are plenty of people who think that a marriage in a far off location somehow is "not valid", and then do a registry office wedding back in the UK, or courthouse wedding in the US for that matter, "just to make sure".
It probably is not a high priority crime, but I know in the UK for a Church wedding the Vicar would ask you if you are / have been married.

There are also places where a wedding is not legal/possible, e.g. the Maldives where you have to be a citizen to be legally married, I have not looked at many others but assume that there are others.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Surely, in UK, you would just tell the Church officials that you are already officially married and to just go through all the motions as if you weren't. Don't they even have a fake 'register' to sign? Friends of mine (UK citizens) had a big church wedding in Spain, but were already officially married in the Netherlands beforehand and no one guessed that the ceremony wasn't actually official.

Secondly, I organised a nice wedding entirely by myself in 6 weeks. Admittedly it wasn't a massive event but I was surprised how easy it was...and became even more baffled at how it can take people years to organise one...
Old Aug 14th 2014, 8:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
It probably is not a high priority crime, but I know in the UK for a Church wedding the Vicar would ask you if you are / have been married.
You mean to each other? I thought that question usually referred to prior marriages to third parties.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You mean to each other? I thought that question usually referred to prior marriages to third parties.
That was always my understanding too, though why anyone would marry the same person twice (without an intervening divorce) was always a mystery to me, until I learned more about matters of visas and immigration. In any case, surely it is the closest thing to the perfect "victimless crime", if it is indeed actually a crime at all.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 8:00 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Yes, because then you have to get a blessing:

Types of wedding ceremony - YourChurchWedding.org from the Church of England

Service of Prayer and Dedication (sometimes called a ‘blessing’) – a simple service, designed for couples who have had a civil marriage ceremony in the UK or abroad and want to have a church service afterwards.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...an_get_married

All couples may marry if they are both 16 years or over and free to marry, that is, if they are single, widowed or divorced, or if they were in a civil partnership which has been dissolved

You are not single if you are married.

Last edited by tht; Aug 15th 2014 at 8:04 pm.