Is Esta valid on day of expiry?

Old Nov 23rd 2023, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Eggx is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Is Esta valid on day of expiry?

So i'm going to be crossing the Canada/US land border next week. My Esta expires on December 1st. Does that mean im ok to use it on December 1st?
Old Nov 24th 2023, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Esta valid on day of expiry?

personally, id move your plans forward a day
Old Nov 24th 2023, 4:25 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eggx
So i'm going to be crossing the Canada/US land border next week. My Esta expires on December 1st. Does that mean im ok to use it on December 1st?
Are you just trying to save the $4+17 or whatever it is these days to get a new one? If it’s not going to be granted because something has changed you have to update your current one anyway…

also note the US covers 6 times zones with 5 hours difference.. so if you were on the west coast it may already be the next day on the east coast later a night and some computer systems use a single time vs multiple…

while Internet forums are helpful, for some information you may want to look at official websites:
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...-system-travel

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

Your ESTA authorization is generally valid for multiple trips over a period of two years (starting the date that you are approved) or until your passport expires, whichever comes first*. This means that as long as you received an ESTA authorization to travel, you do not have to reapply during the validity period.”

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en

Last edited by tht; Nov 24th 2023 at 4:29 am.
Old Nov 24th 2023, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Generally, expiration dates in the US are the last day on which it is valid (i.e. the expiration happens at the very end of the day on the expiration date).
Old Nov 26th 2023, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Flight delay away from a disaster.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 2:11 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Flight delay away from a disaster.
Agreed normally, but in this case OP is driving across the land border from Canada,.

My understanding is ESTA expiring Nov 26th 2023, is valid to enter up to and including Nov 26th 2023.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LT1
Agreed normally, but in this case OP is driving across the land border from Canada,.

My understanding is ESTA expiring Nov 26th 2023, is valid to enter up to and including Nov 26th 2023.
Just last week several border crossings in NY were closed for a bunch of time
Old Nov 27th 2023, 11:18 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, there is a body of law to the effect that a visa remains valid for admission provided that continuous travel to the U.S. begins before the visa expires. This was formulated when ship was the prevalent mode of transport. Also, it was common for ships and airplanes to make intermediate stops. So, a journey would take a matter of days or weeks and perhaps multiple countries.

I recall reading a case which involved flights from Maracaibo to Miami via Caracas. The Caracas to Miami legs flew only three times a week so the routing involved a two day layover in Caracas. In that case, visa was valid on departure from Maracaibo but had expired on date of departure from Caracas. The ruling was against the applicant for admission in that the continuity of journey measured from date of departure from the originating country.

I recall another case where the journey commenced just prior to the beginning of the Second World War. While at sea, the ship was ordered to stop in Jamaica, unload its cargo and passengers and return to the UK. Although the unplanned sojourn in Jamaica was several months in length, it was ruled that the continuity of the journey had not been interrupted.
Old Nov 27th 2023, 12:43 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As an aside, there is a body of law to the effect that a visa remains valid for admission provided that continuous travel to the U.S. begins before the visa expires. This was formulated when ship was the prevalent mode of transport. Also, it was common for ships and airplanes to make intermediate stops. So, a journey would take a matter of days or weeks and perhaps multiple countries.

I recall reading a case which involved flights from Maracaibo to Miami via Caracas. The Caracas to Miami legs flew only three times a week so the routing involved a two day layover in Caracas. In that case, visa was valid on departure from Maracaibo but had expired on date of departure from Caracas. The ruling was against the applicant for admission in that the continuity of journey measured from date of departure from the originating country.

I recall another case where the journey commenced just prior to the beginning of the Second World War. While at sea, the ship was ordered to stop in Jamaica, unload its cargo and passengers and return to the UK. Although the unplanned sojourn in Jamaica was several months in length, it was ruled that the continuity of the journey had not been interrupted.
How would this help the OP who does not have a visa hence is discussing a ESTA to allow them to is a visa waiver?
Old Nov 27th 2023, 3:07 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
How would this help the OP who does not have a visa hence is discussing a ESTA to allow them to is a visa waiver?
That is why I characterized my post as an aside. A comment which might be of interest to her question on expiry dates.

BTW, OP doesn’t mention whether or not her application for admission involves a return to the US on a sojourn in Canada during a VW stay in the US. It may(or may not) be relevant to her inquiry.