Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA site and criminal record question.

ESTA site and criminal record question.

Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA site and criminal record question.

Originally Posted by lansbury
The conversation has been about the UK PNC records. They cannot be ordered by just anyone on anyone else. There are very strict laws about what can be disclosed and to who.

Yes court records are more public documents but to find someones details that way you would have to have a lot of information first to know where to look.
Xdcam mentioned the CRB in his first post, as well as PNC. Anyway, my point was that xdcam keeps saying how his criminal record is confidential, private, etc (i.e. 'police-national-computer, CBR and the ACPO database is strict, very strict and private, only that person can get their own information; nobody else') - but anybody can access it for a small fee.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 26th 2009 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xdcam
But isn't there either a 10 or 20 year period before you can re-apply once you have been turned down?
Umm... no, there isn't.

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Xdcam mentioned the CRB in his first post, as well as PNC. Anyway, my point was that xdcam keeps saying how his criminal record is confidential, private, etc (i.e. 'police-national-computer, CBR and the ACPO database is strict, very strict and private, only that person can get their own information; nobody else') - but anybody can access it for a small fee.
Not quite anybody

Who can apply for a CRB Check?

CRB checks cannot be obtained by members of the public directly but are only available to organisations and only for those professions, offices, employments, work and occupations listed in the Exceptions Order to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

For this reason your application will be processed either by your employer, if it is registered with the CRB, or a third party organisation, called an Umbrella Body, which is registered with the CRB.

http://www.crb.gov.uk/
Old Jul 27th 2009, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bjohn
Not quite anybody

Who can apply for a CRB Check?

CRB checks cannot be obtained by members of the public directly but are only available to organisations and only for those professions, offices, employments, work and occupations listed in the Exceptions Order to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

For this reason your application will be processed either by your employer, if it is registered with the CRB, or a third party organisation, called an Umbrella Body, which is registered with the CRB.

http://www.crb.gov.uk/
Those may be the official rules, but realistically anybody can get one. Most of my friends get them regularly for nannies/babysitters.

All they have to do is ask a friend with a company, or their own boss, to do it for them. Plus there are lots of websites that issue them without checking who has requested it. Easily done.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 27th 2009 at 9:53 am.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, my point was that xdcam keeps saying how his criminal record is confidential, private, etc (i.e. 'police-national-computer, CBR and the ACPO database is strict, very strict and private, only that person can get their own information; nobody else') - but anybody can access it for a small fee.
No anyone cannot access it. You are posting total rubbish.

Who can have access and it what circumstances via CRB is strictly controlled by law.

CRB and ACPO access the PNC they do not have separate databases as your totally misleading post implies. ACPO for checks requested by the individual and CRB for checks requested by organizations and individuals both in strictly controlled circumstances.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Those may be the official rules, but realistically anybody can get one. Most of my friends get them regularly for nannies/babysitters.

If you are employing people to work with children that is one of the criteria that the law allows. In fact they can request the person they intend to employ to obtain one.

Last edited by lansbury; Jul 27th 2009 at 3:17 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

xdcam is an unknown quantity at this point

Total crap
I second that. It took me ages to get information about myself; they wanted to know everything and have passport pictures etc.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No anyone cannot access it. You are posting total rubbish.
Charming. What a great way to politely disagree with someone!

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I have got several CRB checks over the past couple of years for babysitters, volunteers at our local pre-school and potential employees of my company. All have been easy to obtain (I certainly haven't had to provide passport photos or the like!) and have been done online without me having to prove who I am or what I want them for.

I'm guessing that officially, it's supposed to be much harder to get them - but the reality with so many online companies doing them is that the criteria is less strict than it should be.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future

Charming. What a great way to politely disagree with someone!

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I have got several CRB checks over the past couple of years for babysitters, volunteers at our local pre-school and potential employees of my company. All have been easy to obtain (I certainly haven't had to provide passport photos or the like!) and have been done online without me having to prove who I am or what I want them for.

I'm guessing that officially, it's supposed to be much harder to get them - but the reality with so many online companies doing them is that the criteria is less strict than it should be.
Out of curiosity, did the people you sort CRB checks for give their consent?

Last time my CRB was checked whilst working for a government organisation I had to give consent in the form of a signed document. Until I signed it no CRB check could be done.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

TumpMasterFlex is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I've searched the gammit of jobs. And the only time I was asked to consent for a CRB check was with Phones 4 U. The funny thing is I disclosed it and gave my constent, thinking it was a forgone conclusion and they still called me back, and subsequently offered me a job. Eventually I got a job in trade finance at a bank so it didn't have to bother. But asides from them, I was never asked for one. I don't think firms, companies, or organizations can legally peform CRB checks without consent from the person being considered.

I would be a little concerned, but in year I won't have to disclose it anyway. The whole point of Criminal Offenders Act is an individual is protected from having to disclose and potential employers finding out about an offence past 5 years, given no other legal infractions have occured.

Guys I'm correct in my decision not to lie on the ESTA correct? Once you lie, you'll have to stick by this lie for life won't you? I mean in regards to US customs officials. And the way it looks, every year the US has increasingly complete information upon an individual.

I'm waiting for my APCO report or whatever its called, and after I recieve my last paycheck from my previous employer, sometime next month, I plan on paying my full tuition fees, a years worth. So I'm then going to send an official letter headed document from the school confirming my place and the fees paid, along with the APCO report, so they can see my situation a little more clearly.

Also, I guess if one is famous or a celeb these legal infractions don't matter? Or is just because they're so rich they can hire the best lawyers to suppress these matters? Or a bit of both?

Last edited by TumpMasterFlex; Jul 29th 2009 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:29 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TumpMasterFlex
Also, I guess if one is famous or a celeb these legal infractions don't matter? Or is just because they're so rich they can hire the best lawyers to suppress these matters? Or a bit of both?
Celebs still need a waiver just like anyone else would, but part of the waiver review process factors in the interests of the US people in having the person come over. The benefits of a major concert to the economy would likely outweigh a regular person's holiday trip.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TumpMasterFlex
The England football team management would be busy organising visa's.