Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA Revoked.. Could it be My Human Rights Activities?

ESTA Revoked.. Could it be My Human Rights Activities?

Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ESTA Revoked.. Could it be My Human Rights Activities?

Originally Posted by HelenaS

Finally, can someone please give me a clear, legal description of the question on the online visa form which asks about being involved with, worked for, or contributed to any organization.. Does that include any group which has ever invited me to give a presentation, for instance? Or any newspaper which I have given interviews with, any blogs which I have written for, etc.?

Thank you all.
Yes to presentations

No to Newspapers

No to blogs

Better to include than exclude.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Folinsky; so if this does have to do with someone that I'm associated with, how do I get it resolved? How do I even know if I'm the one deemed a "threat" or an associate?
I am not saying why you would be denied, if at all. I don't know.

You have already been told how to approach the problem: apply for a visa.

For reason doing with the legal structure of the US immigration laws, the ESTA program is not a "visa." That said, it is in layman's term an electronic visa which allows one to board the plane and fly to the US.

The ESTA clearance is a part of the visa waiver process and therefore not within the purview of the Department of State. Unlike the ESTA process, the visa process involves a face-to-face interview with a live consular officer.

FWIW, you can find an example of the electronic DS-160 here.

As a parting note, do not expect clarity in the law. Yes, it ain't fair, but that is the system.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

HelenaS is an unknown quantity at this point

Got it! Thanks everyone for your advice. Looks like it'll be one hell of an application, because to list all the countries I've been to, and all the places I've presented will be a nightmare.. I hope to God the processing won't be too long.

BTW: Mr. Folinsky, the sample you posted is missing many questions which we now have to answer on the form, such as the list of countries visited, educational institutions attended, and the organizations contributed to. This one seems outdated!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I have never made any contribution of any kind to a terrorist organisation.
Ramadan hadn't done that either. However, he was banned for contributing money to organisations which, in turn, had contributed some funds to Hamas (at least, according to the US government).

Note that, at the time Ramadan made those donations, those organisations were not yet considered terrorist funding organisations by the US government. They were added to the list later.