Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA is not possible if I was denied to get B-2?

ESTA is not possible if I was denied to get B-2?

Old Dec 27th 2018, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Ashley32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESTA is not possible if I was denied to get B-2?

Hello,

I do not have ESTA yet, but probably I request ESTA.

I have rejection of the B-2 visa. The reason is lack of ties in the domestic country that I would return.

I noticed that I can check "I have record of denial of B-2" and still get ESTA. I am not sure yet but I may attend the academic conference using ESTA for a few days in the U.S.

If I have ESTA, even if, still, I can be denied to enter the U.S. in Border Control (in the airport in the U.S., etc.)?

I also need F-1 visa on August 2019.

Prospectively, ESTA would be on May, and I return to South Korea, and get F-1 that will start on August 2019.

The citizenship of mine is South Korean.

Does it work?

Regards,
Ashley

Last edited by Ashley32; Dec 27th 2018 at 5:41 am.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 7:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA is not possible if I was denied to get B-2?

Originally Posted by Ashley32
Hello,

I do not have ESTA yet, but probably I request ESTA.

I have rejection of the B-2 visa. The reason is lack of ties in the domestic country that I would return.

I noticed that I can check "I have record of denial of B-2" and still get ESTA. I am not sure yet but I may attend the academic conference using ESTA for a few days in the U.S.

If I have ESTA, even if, still, I can be denied to enter the U.S. in Border Control (in the airport in the U.S., etc.)?

I also need F-1 visa on August 2019.

Prospectively, ESTA would be on May, and I return to South Korea, and get F-1 that will start on August 2019.

The citizenship of mine is South Korean.

Does it work?

Regards,
Ashley

You can try ESTA but in all probability you will be refused and will have to get a B2 visa if it is your intention to visit the US.

ESTA basically allows you to get on a plane to the US, it does not guarantee entry. A B2 visa or any US visa does not guarantee entry, only US citizens have that right.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 10:36 am
Just Joined

If I clearly demonstrate the reason I want to enter the U.S., documents, emails, bank account; and show it to the Border Control, do you think still I can be denied because of the B-2 rejection in the past?
The answer is helpful for me but general.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 10:53 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

If I clearly demonstrate the reason I want to enter the U.S., documents, emails, bank account; and show it to the Border Control, do you think still I can be denied because of the B-2 rejection in the past?
The border control people will probably not look at any of those things; and yes, they can deny entry to you at any time and for pretty much any reason.

Have you applied for an ESTA and been approved for travel yet?
Old Dec 27th 2018, 10:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you applied for ESTA? If not please do so because if it is denied there is little use asking or answering the above.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 11:03 am
Just Joined

I have never applied an ESTA. I got rejection of B-2, and the officer firstly asked me "why didn't you use ESTA?" and I answered "I want longer duration, which is 10 years." Then, he saw my bank account, asked me where I would travel in the U.S., and rejected my application in about 30 seconds. It says, "no ties to return,,,(abridged)."

Previously I have applied F-1 twice and never rejected.

I am so worried the B-2 rejection impacts the denial of entry in the U.S. with ESTA.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 11:07 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I have never applied an ESTA. I got rejection of B-2, and the officer firstly asked me "why didn't you use ESTA?" and I answered "I want longer duration, which is 10 years." Then, he saw my bank account, asked me where I would travel in the U.S., and rejected my application in about 30 seconds. It says, "no ties to return,,,(abridged)."

Previously I have applied F-1 twice and never rejected.

I am so worried the B-2 rejection impacts the denial of entry in the U.S. with ESTA.
You should apply for an ESTA, declaring the B2 denial and see what happens. That's your next step right now.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 11:38 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say when your B2 rejection was, but bearing in mind you have just signed up for BE, I am going to assume it was recent. You should apply for a new ESTA, declaring that you have been denied for a visa in the past. This will likely mean your ESTA is rejected for at least 6 months.

I would not try to apply for the ESTA until closer to your trip, until the absolutely have to book the flight. You might get lucky.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

They don't really care why you want to enter the U.S. They are looking for reasons for you to return to your home country on time at the end of your visit.