ESTA - how often can I travel?

Old Dec 14th 2018, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Bellz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESTA - how often can I travel?

Hey guys

I posted a while ago asking about marriage visas and the responses were so helpful.
I've done some searching through the forum and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I'll be travelling to the USA In May, when I'll be getting married in Vegas. My fiancé is from Texas and I intend to move there once my visa has been approved.

When I travel there in May, I plan to stay for up to 90 days and leave before the time limit - my question is - once I've returned to Ireland, how long do I have to wait before returning to the US for another stay with my Husband?

And how many 90 day stints can we have within our ESTA?

Thanks guys
Old Dec 14th 2018, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA - how often can I travel?

There is no definitive answer as it depends on who you get at the border, but it's generally suggested that you spend more time out of the country than you do in.

That said, there are examples of shorter periods between visits with no questions asked and others have had difficulty after longer periods (although rare).

Just be sure to leave after 87-88 days in case something stalls your exit. Also it pays to have a good explanation as towhy you're traveling so often. Do NOT lie, but be careful with your answers - be sure they don't trip you up and have an address of where you'll be staying and a return ticket is always good (well, it can't hurt, anyway!).
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say 6 months out after 3 months in.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

That seems so long when I've just married my husband, doesn't it?

I would hate to be away from him for that long. It's already killing us to be apart for this long.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

Will he not be visiting?
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

It's possible but he works for the Navy and they build up holidays for every month they work, so, he'll have used up all his holidays by the time we get back from Vegas. It'll take months to build them up again.

I was hoping it could be more like 90 days in, 90 days out kinda thing
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

Begs the question how you can take so much Holiday.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

I run a charity, I can take any time I need because I can work from anywhere. I'm very lucky.
​​
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can try 90 days in, 90 days out (make that more like 87 days in, 90 days out). It's not illegal to do that. However, at some point you may be turned away for visiting too often, or too long, especially with a USC spouse that gives you a reason to want to stay. And what about your job? How can you be away so long from work? Do you not work? If you don't have a job to return to, that's another strike against you.

Rene
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellz
I run a charity, I can take any time I need because I can work from anywhere. I'm very lucky.
​​
Except that you can't work at all while physically inside the USA! I hope you haven't been doing that.

Rene
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

You can not work in the US without authorisation.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

It is such a relative thing. '90 days out, 90 days in' (I agree to aim more for 87 days in) is totally doable and there's no legal reason why you can't aim to do that, but you have to prepare yourself for the possibility of coming face-to-face with a slightly less accommodating border control agent, who might simply take a dislike to your plans and send you home. The 'more time out than in' theory is not a rule, but a guideline that people on this forum offer because it's sensible. You don't have to follow it. You can try your luck and maybe be one of the lucky ones whose travel patterns don't raise an eyebrow.

Remind yourself that this is temporary. Long-distance relationships can be so difficult, but you're putting the wheels into motion so that you won't have to be long-distance much longer, and the time spent apart is only going to strengthen your relationship if you use it wisely. I know that's not much comfort. But keep your eyes on the prize - it will all be worth it in the end.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Except that you can't work at all while physically inside the USA! I hope you haven't been doing that.

Rene
Nope, I've never done that. I don't intend to either.
I have no intentions of breaking the rules. I want everything to go as smoothly as possible so that my husband and I can be together.

I just have the luxury of being able to take the time that I want to travel. The girls who work with me are awesome and understand my plans. They're picking up the slack when I'm away.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Originally Posted by KK85
It is such a relative thing. '90 days out, 90 days in' (I agree to aim more for 87 days in) is totally doable and there's no legal reason why you can't aim to do that, but you have to prepare yourself for the possibility of coming face-to-face with a slightly less accommodating border control agent, who might simply take a dislike to your plans and send you home. The 'more time out than in' theory is not a rule, but a guideline that people on this forum offer because it's sensible. You don't have to follow it. You can try your luck and maybe be one of the lucky ones whose travel patterns don't raise an eyebrow.

Remind yourself that this is temporary. Long-distance relationships can be so difficult, but you're putting the wheels into motion so that you won't have to be long-distance much longer, and the time spent apart is only going to strengthen your relationship if you use it wisely. I know that's not much comfort. But keep your eyes on the prize - it will all be worth it in the end.
Thank you for that encouragement! I think I needed to hear that today. It can be quite difficult.
I understand why the US have the rules in place that they have, I just wish it wasn't as long to process the marriage visa. That would be amazing.

​​​​​
Old Dec 14th 2018, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

If you do get bounced then there is no real option to visit at all, a B is highly unlikely.

Technically there is no limit, you can seek entry the day after you leave but the VWP is for visiting not living in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.