Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA and Forgetting to Hand in Previous VWP

ESTA and Forgetting to Hand in Previous VWP

Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Michael229 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESTA and Forgetting to Hand in Previous VWP

I am hoping the wise forum can help me with a query.

In 2005, my wife and I visited the USA for a couple of days while holidaying in Canada. When we returned to Canada over the land border we forgot to hand in our visa waiver permits. I realised this when I got home to England so mailed them off to US customs with proof of my departure from Canada back to England. Unfortunately, they don't confirm if you have been logged as exiting the country or not.

Fast forward to now and my wife and I want to visit New York. I just completed the ESTA online for us both and we had our application approved. However it does say that this allows you to travel to the USA but does not necessarily permit entry.

My question is, if I had been classed as an overstay from before, would my ESTA application have been denied? Or is there still a chance I could get there and be refused entry?

Appreciate any help!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 11:15 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA and Forgetting to Hand in Previous VWP

As people here will tell you , there's always a chance you'll be denied !
Only citizens can " guarantee" they'll be allowed in

However I don't reckon you've much to worry about fro
The I 94w thingy
I've had to mail several of the damn things back because I've left them in my passport
As you say they don't acknowledge receiPt of them. But they must work there way through the system as I've never had a problem
Old Feb 19th 2013, 11:37 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to the above.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael229
Unfortunately, they don't confirm if you have been logged as exiting the country or not.
No, they don't... however the airline has proof of your departure.

My question is, if I had been classed as an overstay from before, would my ESTA application have been denied? Or is there still a chance I could get there and be refused entry?
Only a US citizen has the right of entry to the US; everyone else takes their chances. From what you've written, yours is a non-issue. Enjoy the holiday.

Ian
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:44 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, they don't... however the airline has proof of your departure.

Only a US citizen has the right of entry to the US; everyone else takes their chances. From what you've written, yours is a non-issue. Enjoy the holiday.

Ian
This was at a land border so technically you do need to mail it bac k or return it , no Passenger manifest!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
This was at a land border so technically you do need to mail it bac k or return it , no Passenger manifest!
Quite right... missed that bit! Still, it seems they were returned... which fulfills the requirement. It's a non-issue for them.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the airline would have proof of their departure from Canada... which, in turn, demonstrates they did indeed leave the US - although, to be fair, it doesn't prove they left within their alloted 90 days. The airline should still have a record of that departure and dates can be reconciled after the fact. It's still a non-issue for them.

Ian