Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA denied in May 2009...time to reapply?

Wikiposts

ESTA denied in May 2009...time to reapply?

Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Whymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond repute
Question ESTA denied in May 2009...time to reapply?

I posted this in May 2009: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610249

I had applied for a visa at the US Embassy in London in April, got denied and then went on the esta website to apply for that because I wanted to go on holiday to LA for 3 weeks. - That was promptly denied.

In April of this year it will obviously be one year since I applied for the visa and in May it will be one year since I applied for the esta.

Since I applied for the visa my savings have dropped drastically, so much so that I am down to a fraction of what they were, so reapplying for the visa wouldn't really look good since I have pretty much zero savings, no job and not many ties to the UK (I work for myself online).

I just want to go to the USA for a couple of weeks holiday, does anyone know if there is like a "reset" time with esta denials or is it likely I'll have to go through all this crap again with the visa application? I would like to think that having not tried to go the America for a little over a year (I plan to go in June) it would look better, but obviously I don't know what the deal is with that.

Just curious if anyone knows what the deal with esta is and how to go about it. I don't really want to have to spend $150 to apply for a visa (not to mention show pretty much no savings/living at parents) when I am not planning to use it more than ONCE, to go on a small vacation with my friends for a couple of weeks.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has experience or knowledge of the esta system.

EDIT: Also, can I check my esta status without booking a flight? Obviously if I book a flight I could potentially lose the money.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA denied in May 2009...time to reapply?

Originally Posted by Whymewhyme
I posted this in May 2009: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610249

I had applied for a visa at the US Embassy in London in April, got denied and then went on the esta website to apply for that because I wanted to go on holiday to LA for 3 weeks. - That was promptly denied.

In April of this year it will obviously be one year since I applied for the visa and in May it will be one year since I applied for the esta.

Since I applied for the visa my savings have dropped drastically, so much so that I am down to a fraction of what they were, so reapplying for the visa wouldn't really look good since I have pretty much zero savings, no job and not many ties to the UK (I work for myself online).

I just want to go to the USA for a couple of weeks holiday, does anyone know if there is like a "reset" time with esta denials or is it likely I'll have to go through all this crap again with the visa application? I would like to think that having not tried to go the America for a little over a year (I plan to go in June) it would look better, but obviously I don't know what the deal is with that.

Just curious if anyone knows what the deal with esta is and how to go about it. I don't really want to have to spend $150 to apply for a visa (not to mention show pretty much no savings/living at parents) when I am not planning to use it more than ONCE, to go on a small vacation with my friends for a couple of weeks.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has experience or knowledge of the esta system.

EDIT: Also, can I check my esta status without booking a flight? Obviously if I book a flight I could potentially lose the money.
There is nothing to stop you from trying ESTA again, but don't bother trying to get a visa as it will almost certainly be denied.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT: Also, can I check my esta status without booking a flight?
Yes. That would seem like the most obvious way to get your answer.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Whymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes. That would seem like the most obvious way to get your answer.
Is it likely though that given a year of waiting that my chances will be improved?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Is it likely though that given a year of waiting that my chances will be improved?
No idea, sorry.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:36 pm
Banned

DanielMDQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
No idea, sorry.
Apply for ESTA again, u don't need to enter flight number or anything, u can leave those spaces in blank.

Keep us updated

Last edited by DanielMDQ; Apr 5th 2010 at 2:47 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DanielMDQ
Apply for ESTA again, u don't need to enter book flight or anything, u can leave those spaces in blank.

Keep us updated
Done.

Authorization Pending. Your travel authorization is under review because an immediate determination could not be made for your application. This response does not indicate negative findings. A determination will be available within 72 hours. Please return to this Web site and choose Update or Check the Status of a Previously Submitted Authorization to Travel to the United States. Your application number, passport number, and birth date will be required to check the status of your application.
I'll keep you updated.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:49 pm
Banned

DanielMDQ is an unknown quantity at this point

try the status in some hours, It took like 1 hour and half for me

good luck!!!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DanielMDQ
try the status in some hours, It took like 1 hour and half for me

good luck!!!
Thanks!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
There is nothing to stop you from trying ESTA again, but don't bother trying to get a visa as it will almost certainly be denied.
Disagree
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:41 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I have to go with henry on this one. Both the ESTA and the visa could be problematic. An ESTA approval may even be harder to get than the visa because ESTA has already been denied.

The remedy for a denied ESTA is supposed to be a visa application.

The remedy for a denied visa application followed by a denied ESTA is supposedly another visa application.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Travel Not Authorized.

Travel Not AuthorizedYou are not authorized to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. You may be able to obtain a visa from the Department of State for your travel. Please visit the United States Department of State website at www.travel.state.gov for additional information about applying for a visa.

- This is so frustrating.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Try for the visa, if it's worth it to you. I think you have a good chance: somewhere between 10% and 90%. i.e. not a sure thing, but also not totally pointless to apply.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by henryh
Try for the visa, if it's worth it to you. I think you have a good chance: somewhere between 10% and 90%. i.e. not a sure thing, but also not totally pointless to apply.
More like 1% and 9%

But your only option.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:23 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...This is so frustrating.
According to your previous thread, you lived in the US for 50% of the time over a 4 year period. Whether or not you had any illegal overstay, that is pretty clearly an abuse of the VWP system, don't you think?

Clearly the US immigration system has simply marked you as someone who should no longer be given the opportunity to abuse the system further. You say you just want a holiday, but I don't believe you and apparently neither does US immigration.

There are many other places to holiday. At this stage, it's time to pick one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.