Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA denied and applying for B2 visa

ESTA denied and applying for B2 visa

Old May 16th 2016, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

FManc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ESTA denied and applying for B2 visa

Well I'm not long back from the embassy! The 10 year visa was granted
The day didn't start very well when some bright-spark thought it'd be a good idea to leave their bag unattended by the entrance. This meant we all had to clear the area (understandably) and re-queue again. It seemed fairly busy today and all in all it took 3 hours from queuing up outside to leaving the embassy.

The lady that interviewed me was really polite; i wasn't there for more than 5-10 minutes. She asked me:
- whether I had ever been to Iraq.
- why I want to go to the US.
- about my job and degree.
And that was that (didn't ask to see any documents). Should get my passport back in 3-5 days.
Old May 16th 2016, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FManc
The 10 year visa was granted
Congratulations! Well done.

Ian
Old May 16th 2016, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

Congrats, and thanks for the up-date.
Old May 17th 2016, 10:01 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
[1] For instance she claimed to have lost two brothers to the Black and Tans during the Anglo-Irish war. My wife and I eventually visited the part of Northern Ireland the family was from and we met an old local who knew the family who told us "oh no, both of them got drunk and fell in a bog on the way home from the pub and drowned!"
Black and Tan is pale ale and stout. Probably what they were drinking before they fell in the bog.
Old May 18th 2016, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank everyone! My B2 Visa status changed to "Issued" today so hopefully I'll have my passport back soon! Our flights to New York are via Dublin (with Aer Lingus) so we'll have the pre-clearance facility at Dublin. Does anyone know what the likelihood is that I'll have to go through secondary inspection at Dublin? They'll probably notice my lack of ESTA and see the B2 instead so that's why I'm asking. Our connection at Dublin is 1hr 50mins so it's fairly tight but it is an advertised connection on the itinerary when we were making our booking i.e. it all falls under one booking ref/itinerary.
Old May 19th 2016, 12:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FManc
Does anyone know what the likelihood is that I'll have to go through secondary inspection at Dublin?
I'll wager less than 50%.

Our connection at Dublin is 1hr 50mins so it's fairly tight...
It'll take as long as it takes.

... it is an advertised connection...
That may be, but that is not and can not be a concern of US immigration. FWIW, I think you'll be fine.

Ian
Old May 20th 2016, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'll wager less than 50%.

It'll take as long as it takes.

That may be, but that is not and can not be a concern of US immigration. FWIW, I think you'll be fine.

Ian
Ah yeah sorry I meant that if I had to go through Secondary POE at least I'd have a through ticket i.e. if I missed the flight hopefully Aer Lingus would transfer us onto the next available flight. Anyway that's just me being a pessimist haha. I'm sure it'll all be fine.

My passport arrived today and everything is in order. I have an annotation which says "esta record reviewed". I've looked up what this means and it makes sense! Thanks again