Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA denied and applying for B2 visa

ESTA denied and applying for B2 visa

Old May 8th 2016, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

FManc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESTA denied and applying for B2 visa

Hi

Just to give a bit of background info. Me and my partner have booked flights to New York for September for a 6 day trip. We've both always wanted to visit NY and as it will be his 30th Bday whilst we'll be out there we thought it would be the perfect occasion.

So my bf's ESTA was approved but mine was not. I am British born and hold a British passport but I naively didn't realise the ESTA changes that were implemented earlier this year before booking the flights. I think it's because of my Iraqi citizenship which the ESTA changes affected regarding dual nationality/citizenship. Both my parents are from Iraq but moved to the UK in the early 1980s. I have no ties to the country though; I wasn't born there, I've never held an Iraqi passport and I have never visited the country. The only link I have is through my parents.

So now I'm in the position of having to apply for a B2 Visa. I applied last week and have managed to find a cancellation slot for next week. To say I'm stressed is an understatement!! I've thoroughly been looking up the process and think I've got a good grasp of what will be expected. I have strong ties to the UK as its home for me! I have a well paid job, partner, car, mortgage, family, savings, credit card etc and have the documents to back me up in that respect. I've got the flight itinerary as well as the hotel info to hand as well.

What I'm not so clued up on is whether or not they'll ask me questions about my arab/Iraqi background?? This is what is stressing me out as I'm obviously aware of all the heightened security atm. As I said earlier the only link I have to Iraq is through my parents. The only Arab country I've visited is Jordan (three times) when I was a kid to visit family. The last time I went was in 2007 I think. I'm gay and don't follow Islam as I can't believe in a religion that wants me dead basically lol! Me and my bf (who is caucasian) have been together for 6 years nearly and have the mortgage etc..together and are classed as domestic partners.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I want to be as prepared as I can be!
Apologies for the long post as well

Thanks!
Old May 8th 2016, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA denied and applying for B2 visa

Be prepared to be told you are being put in administrative processing while they do a background check on you. Basically checking you aren't a terrorist. This can take some time.

Makes sure you have as much proof of ties to the UK. Evidence of last trips to the region etc.
Old May 8th 2016, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Be prepared to be told you are being put in administrative processing while they do a background check on you. Basically checking you aren't a terrorist. This can take some time.

Makes sure you have as much proof of ties to the UK. Evidence of last trips to the region etc.
If this was the case would they need to keep hold of my passport? I fly to Rome in mid-June so would only have about 4 weeks between having the interview and flying to Rome. We're not booked to go to New York till mid-Sept though.
Old May 8th 2016, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FManc
If this was the case would they need to keep hold of my passport? I fly to Rome in mid-June so would only have about 4 weeks between having the interview and flying to Rome. We're not booked to go to New York till mid-Sept though.
Let them know that and they'll let you take your passport. They will then ask you to courier in your passport when they are ready to issue the visa. Maybe provide proof of the booking.
Old May 8th 2016, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Let them know that and they'll let you take your passport. They will then ask you to courier in your passport when they are ready to issue the visa. Maybe provide proof of the booking.
Ah thanks for the info! I hadn't even come across 'administrative processing' whilst researching the visa process.
Old May 9th 2016, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

If you're put into administrative processing are you informed of this on the day at the embassy? Or is it sprung upon you after when you check your visa progress online.
Old May 9th 2016, 6:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There are two kinds of admin processing.

There is the kind which simply involves the admin side of processing your visa. You aren't told of this at the interview, it may show up for a while online until it changes to issued, and is nothing to worry about.

The other kind is for further security checks. Most likely you'll either be told at the interview, given a written notice, or they'll hand your passport back. There is no time frame for this admin processing. ..it takes as long as it takes.

Rene
Old May 9th 2016, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There are two kinds of admin processing.

There is the kind which simply involves the admin side of processing your visa. You aren't told of this at the interview, it may show up for a while online until it changes to issued, and is nothing to worry about.

The other kind is for further security checks. Most likely you'll either be told at the interview, given a written notice, or they'll hand your passport back. There is no time frame for this admin processing. ..it takes as long as it takes.

Rene
Ah thanks for that! I imagine I'll be going through the latter with my background. I just need to make sure I get my passport back then so I can go on holiday in June lol. Reading up my only saving grace is that my name is not a popular arab one so there shouldn't be many duplicates of me about!
Old May 11th 2016, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Asho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=FManc;11942760]Hi

So my bf's ESTA was approved but mine was not. I am British born and hold a British passport but I naively didn't realise the ESTA changes that were implemented earlier this year before booking the flights. I think it's because of my Iraqi citizenship which the ESTA changes affected regarding dual nationality/citizenship. Both my parents are from Iraq but moved to the UK in the early 1980s. I have no ties to the country though; I wasn't born there, I've never held an Iraqi passport and I have never visited the country. The only link I have is through my parents.

You say you were British Born, have never held an Iraqi passport and never visited the country. Im confused as to how you are an Iraqi Citizen then? If you hold neither a passport or Jinseyah and have not been to Iraq, how can you be classed as a Citizen?

Im no expert but I think you may be over thinking this issue and you should be fine.
Old May 11th 2016, 5:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asho7225
You say you were British Born, have never held an Iraqi passport and never visited the country. Im confused as to how you are an Iraqi Citizen then?
None of those things are releveant to being a citizen of a country or not though.

As an example, if somebody is born in the US but has British parents, has never visited the UK or has a UK passport that doesn't mean they're not a UK citizen! They usually still are, even without a passport. A passport is just proof of a citizenship, it's not the status itself.

HTH.
Old May 11th 2016, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asho7225
Im confused as to how you are an Iraqi Citizen then?
Your premise is faulty and so, therefore, is your conclusion. A passport is merely proof of citizenship - it's not the citizenship itself.

Many Americans don't have a US passport, yet they are still US citizens. Many Americans born abroad don't have a US passport and have never been the to the US - but they are still US citizens regardless.

Ian
Old May 12th 2016, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
None of those things are releveant to being a citizen of a country or not though.

As an example, if somebody is born in the US but has British parents, has never visited the UK or has a UK passport that doesn't mean they're not a UK citizen! They usually still are, even without a passport. A passport is just proof of a citizenship, it's not the status itself.

HTH.
My wife's father found out quite late in life that because his (long before deceased) mother was born in what is now Northern Ireland, he was an Irish citizen from birth. He was not very pleased to learn this as he considered himself American first, last and only.
Old May 12th 2016, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
My wife's father found out quite late in life that because his (long before deceased) mother was born in what is now Northern Ireland, he was an Irish citizen from birth. He was not very pleased to learn this as he considered himself American first, last and only.
Very odd. Most Americans are very happy to claim they are "Irish" because their great great great great grandmother once sat next to somebody who ate a potato
Old May 12th 2016, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
Very odd. Most Americans are very happy to claim they are "Irish" because their great great great great grandmother once sat next to somebody who ate a potato
Well he was half Irish by ancestry, and his surname was French. Apparently part of it was his mother always banging on about the evils of the British[1] which made him sick of the whole "old country" thing and feeling that as an American-born he was American before all else.

[1] For instance she claimed to have lost two brothers to the Black and Tans during the Anglo-Irish war. My wife and I eventually visited the part of Northern Ireland the family was from and we met an old local who knew the family who told us "oh no, both of them got drunk and fell in a bog on the way home from the pub and drowned!"
Old May 15th 2016, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Well my interview is tomorrow! it's come around quickly for sure! I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.