Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

entry to the U.S. before my sponsor

entry to the U.S. before my sponsor

Old Sep 21st 2001, 3:49 am
Henry

I got immigration visa through my wife. We both live outside US. For some reason, I
have to enter the U.S. before my wife. Is it possible?
--

Old Sep 21st 2001, 5:09 am
Joachim Feise

henry wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

No. The primary applicant has to enter first.

Old Sep 21st 2001, 6:39 am
Michael Voight

Joachim Feise wrote:
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I got immigration visa through my wife. We both live outside US. For some reason,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I have to enter the U.S. before my wife. Is it possible?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

If this is an IR visa, he can enter whenever he wants before the expiration time.

Old Sep 21st 2001, 11:08 am
Andy Platt

>
    >

It certainly is. Make sure you buy the big screen TV before your wife gets here!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Sep 21st 2001, 2:45 pm
Henry

Andy, can you elaborate a bit. I got mixed response here in the newsgroup. What I am
worrying was that the officier stops me at the POE and forces me to return my home
country just because of this - my wife just don't feel safe to travel for the moment
but I have a job to report in the States.

--

[usenetquote2]> > I got immigration visa through my wife. We both live outside US. For[/usenetquote2]
some
[usenetquote2]> > reason, I have to enter the U.S. before my wife. Is it possible?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 21st 2001, 3:56 pm
Cb

Henry, as far as I know, it is NOT possible IF she just got her Immigrant Visa but
hasn't yet entered the US. If this is the case, she would have to come either with
you or before you. Neither she nor you will have to wait for the plastic green card
to arrive at home (it takes a few months). She may, for instance, come with you and
depart back the same day, while you stay to report to your job. As soon as she and
you get your I-551 stamp at the airport, both you and her may get jobs and travel in
and out of the US. I hope that helps.

CB
--

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 22nd 2001, 4:28 am
Shelley

Henry - You question was a bit confusing. If your wife applied for an employment
visa and you are coming along as her spouse, then either she must enter first or the
two of you must enter together. If your wife is a US citizen, and you are entering
the US based on marriage to her, then you may enter the US before she returns. Take
Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >