Entering the US Help!!

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

wally007uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering the US Help!!

Hi Everyone,

So i have my visa approved and back from the embassy and flights booked for the 13th of August.

My question I need help with is when I arrive in Chicago can I queue with my wife in the American side, or do I have to go to the Non-American side to enter the country?

Any help would be helpful.

Thanks

Wally
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:31 am
C_C
Forum Regular

C_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud of
Default Re: Entering the US Help!!

Originally Posted by wally007uk
Hi Everyone,

So i have my visa approved and back from the embassy and flights booked for the 13th of August.

My question I need help with is when I arrive in Chicago can I queue with my wife in the American side, or do I have to go to the Non-American side to enter the country?

Thanks

Wally
Congrats on your approval!
I think most people are instructed to queue up at the visitors' line (the USC spouse/fiance is allowed to go with them if travelling together). Do tell the person managing the queues at your port of entry and they'll advise you where to go. From what I've read in reviews, most first-time immigrants are asked to go to the visitors line. Depending on the length of the queue, it can take time, but from what I've read, the actual process once you reach the booth is quite painless. They just open and inspect your sealed envelope, ask you a couple questions, enter your details into their system and you're good to go. Most people report that they spend less than 10 minutes at the Immigration booth as first-time immigrants.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

wally007uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C_C
Congrats on your approval!
I think most people are instructed to queue up at the visitors' line (the USC spouse/fiance is allowed to go with them if travelling together). Do tell the person managing the queues at your port of entry and they'll advise you where to go. From what I've read in reviews, most first-time immigrants are asked to go to the visitors line. Depending on the length of the queue, it can take time, but from what I've read, the actual process once you reach the booth is quite painless. They just open and inspect your sealed envelope, ask you a couple questions, enter your details into their system and you're good to go. Most people report that they spend less than 10 minutes at the Immigration booth as first-time immigrants.

Thanks, i am so excited, and sad to leave family!

I have heard simlier stoires as well, but also heard the other way that i can go with wife to american line!

I will see what happens!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:52 pm
Blue

Waza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really nice

Nice one, i'm glad you asked that question, i'm on the same track in a few weeks, and i wasn't sure myself. Chicago here i come.........
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Wally
Depending on where you arrive, there may be a dedicated "New Immigrants" queue. When my then fiancé arrived in SF, there was a New Immigrants queue. I was allowed to go with him. We were there less than 10 minutes, no secondary, a 'Welcome to America,' and we were on our way.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

I came in through Chicago 8 weeks ago. I was instructed to join the visitor's queue and took over an hour to reach the desk. (If you have a connection to make, give yourself plenty of time). There, the Border Official relieved me of my sealed package and passport and did the photgraph and fingerprints that they normally do when you enter as a visitor. Then he instructed me to follow him to a seperate area and wait to be called. After a wait of about 20-30 mins another official appeared, ripped open my package, called me over, took ink fingerprints of my index fingers and put the relevant stamps on the Visa in my passport. Then I was on my way. Didn't get asked any questions, just kept waiting around a while.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Wally
I answered this in a previous post for you: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...33&postcount=5

Please see the wiki entry on Immigrant Visa Arrival