Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Employment Visa for music Producer?

Employment Visa for music Producer?

Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

kev_la2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment Visa for music Producer?

Hello everyone,

Very happy I found this site. Everyone seems very helpful and up front here.
As you can see from my title I am a music producer based in the uk looking to immigrate to the US.

I was raised in Long Beach, California throughout the 80's and left mid 90's with my folks. Unfortunately they left before I was able to stay out there by myself. Such is life.

Anyhow, I have been wanting to go back ever since and have a friend out there who wants to start a record studio and hire me to be the main Producer/Engineer. Is there a chance of making this happen with one of the EB Visa's?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice
Default Re: Employment Visa for music Producer?

You state you grew up in the US. Were you born in the US, or are your parents US citizens?

If not, do you have the funds to invest in the studio with your friend?

Do you have a degree? How much experience do you have?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

No I was born in the UK, My parents both had green cards but have been out of the country (Living) for a number of years now so no chance of having them renew theirs.

I have funds to invest in the studio yes. Not mega $$$$$$ but a budget of around £30-£40k

I don't have a degree unfortunately but never needed one in my line of buisness. If trying to obtain a visa/green card through the route of being hired as a music producer is a dead end it looks like my only other option would be to go study and get a degree in something.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Originally Posted by kev_la2
Hi, Thank you for your reply.

No I was born in the UK, My parents both had green cards but have been out of the country (Living) for a number of years now so no chance of having them renew theirs.

I have funds to invest in the studio yes. Not mega $$$$$$ but a budget of around £30-£40k

I don't have a degree unfortunately but never needed one in my line of buisness. If trying to obtain a visa/green card through the route of being hired as a music producer is a dead end it looks like my only other option would be to go study and get a degree in something.
There are far more knowledgeable people on this forum who I'm sure will be along shortly to offer some advice and correct me if I'm wrong.

For your friend to hire you as a producer/engineer, you and the job role must qualify for the H-1B visa. The job role must be one that requires a degree. For you to qualify, you must either have a degree, or 12 years experience within the field (or a mixture of both, e.g. 1 year of a degree and 9 years experience). As you haven't got a degree, have you got 12 years experience and does the position require a degree?

You may be able to get a visa if you invest in the studio/business, but I do not know much about this apart from the investment should be a substantial amount ($150k+) and the investment should create jobs.

As you mentioned, it may be worthwhile going to university and getting a degree. You could do this in the US, though there's a huge cost still ($100k+) and there are strict rules on working (e.g. only jobs on campus/university).

As I mentioned earlier, I'm sure someone will be along soon with more knowledge.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My parents both had green cards but have been out of the country (Living) for a number of years now so no chance of having them renew theirs.
Did you have a green card?

Ian
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinkTen

As I mentioned earlier, I'm sure someone will be along soon with more knowledge.
Well if the OP's shit hot and got a lot of people with awards and stories about him in magazines, then there's the O1.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thank again LinkTen, yea I was worried that there would be some catch and things would not be that easy.

I mean I could raise the extra cash to invest but correct me if I'm wrong that would only lead to a E2 Visa which of course is not permanent.

I have 5 years experience running my own commercial studio and have built quite a name for myself but as far as winning any awards..none yet. This kind of job people usually get into from an internship or learning the ropes yourself. It's only really been the past few years where it had become trendy to take a music production course which most studio owners would agree is pointless as no one hires anybody on a degree in this biz. At least not many anyway.

I didn't have a green card myself when I was there. It would have expired by now anyway unfortuantly.

I'm pretty close to those requirements though. I could start to take a degree to get my one years degree worth and continue a few more years for running my studio to take my 5 years to the requirement of 9 but that seems so far away.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thank again LinkTen, yea I was worried that there would be some catch and things would not be that easy.

I mean I could raise the extra cash to invest but correct me if I'm wrong that would only lead to a E2 Visa which of course is not permanent.

I have 5 years experience running my own commercial studio and have built quite a name for myself but as far as winning any awards..none yet. This kind of job people usually get into from an internship or learning the ropes yourself. It's only really been the past few years where it had become trendy to take a music production course which most studio owners would agree is pointless as no one hires anybody on a degree in this biz. At least not many anyway.

I didn't have a green card myself when I was there. It would have expired by now anyway unfortuantly.

I'm pretty close to those requirements though. I could start to take a degree to get my one years degree worth and continue a few more years for running my studio to take my 5 years to the requirement of 9 but that seems so far away.
The E2 is not a permanent visa, and is renewed every few years. I've often heard it be referred to as the 'visa from hell'.

As you have 5 years experience already, you could do 2 years of a degree (which would be the same/equivalent to a Higher National Diploma or Foundation Degree) which means you'd likely qualify for a H-1B visa in 2 years time. You could even do this online via the Open University in your spare time if you didn't want to go to a 'standard' university. Other than that, I don't see any other option for you.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I hear that as well. Will be avoiding that one at all costs.

Thank you for your help. Truly appreciated. I'll look into getting a degree under my belt and try and contact some lawyers to see how/if I can take it from there.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I hear that as well. Will be avoiding that one at all costs.

Thank you for your help. Truly appreciated. I'll look into getting a degree under my belt and try and contact some lawyers to see how/if I can take it from there.
Best of luck.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you All the best.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:43 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Whether the card expired or not isn't the issue... because the card is only proof of status as a US permanent resident; it isn't the status itself. One can maintain status even if the card is expired. Anyway, it's a shame that you never had a GC (and therefore were never a PR)... because time outside of the US, by itself, is insufficient to demonstrate that you had intentionally abandoned your status. If you did have a GC and you had no control over leaving the US (such as your parents moving back to the UK and you having to move back with them), then it's possible your status as a PR is still valid. Is it possible you had a GC and just didn't know it?

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Mar 2nd 2013 at 1:47 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Unfortunately I did not have a GC. Such a shame. I really I had but no.

When I spoke to a lawyer a few years back I was told that because my parents have been out of the country for more than 1 year and made a new life for themselves back in the UK that there was zero chance they could get theirs renewed. Upsetting that they have expiration dates on them when one has to work so hard to get one.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 1:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

On what basis were you in the US?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

How do you mean? My parents moved us over there when I was 5. Left at 15. I Both parents had a GC. Not sure what paper work (if any) they had for me but I do know i did not have my own GC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.