Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Employment based immigration interview at London

Employment based immigration interview at London

Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Michkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really nice
Default Re: Employment based immigration interview at London

Originally Posted by ashklive
Hello,
I have immigration interview under employment category (EB3) scheduled at the US embassy,London. Can someone please share their interview experience with me ? what to expect and what kind of questions would be asked ? Also, i want to know whether i need to carry the latest offer letter from my employer though the appointment letter does not mention it.

thanks,
-- Ashklive
Hi,

Our interview was for an Employment Based Immigration Visa.

Our children are 3 and 6 years old.

Reading the embassy's website it says that children under 14 do not need to attend, but when we received our interview letter it stated that "Those members of the applicant's family, listed on the attached page, must appear at the Embassy/Consulate on the above appointment date."

So we took our children with us. The Officer did not talk to them. They were 2 very bored little girls!

Michkin
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:04 am
Just Joined

ashklive is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Employment based immigration interview at London

Originally Posted by Michkin
Hi,

Our interview was for an Employment Based Immigration Visa.

Our children are 3 and 6 years old.

Reading the embassy's website it says that children under 14 do not need to attend, but when we received our interview letter it stated that "Those members of the applicant's family, listed on the attached page, must appear at the Embassy/Consulate on the above appointment date."

So we took our children with us. The Officer did not talk to them. They were 2 very bored little girls!

Michkin
I had my interview yesterday and got the immigrant visa approved. I did not take my children and they were not needed. I have a question about port of entry (POE). I have a choice of flying to Philadelphia or Newark. Does anyone has experience of these airports. which one is less hassle for POE processing?

thanks,
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.

FWIW, even with the quote from the "official" website, I'm still confused by its wording, though I'm leaning towards the "not required" position for my 3-year old coming in off the back of my EB1. It may be clear to those who have been on the forums for years and know the lingo; I've been here about a year and a half and I still don't. In my particular case I would double check what my attorney says.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:36 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ashklive
I had my interview yesterday and got the immigrant visa approved. I did not take my children and they were not needed. I have a question about port of entry (POE). I have a choice of flying to Philadelphia or Newark. Does anyone has experience of these airports. which one is less hassle for POE processing?

thanks,
I've generally entered through Newark (no experience of Philly), its always been realatively quick and painless every time (unless several planes all land at once)

Guess it all depends who you get and just how busy it is
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Congratulations.

FWIW, even with the quote from the "official" website, I'm still confused by its wording, though I'm leaning towards the "not required" position for my 3-year old coming in off the back of my EB1. It may be clear to those who have been on the forums for years and know the lingo; I've been here about a year and a half and I still don't. In my particular case I would double check what my attorney says.
Hi Geoff, I'm looking at this again to see how to make it more clear. I think there are some trick (immigration) words in there.

Originally Posted by meauxna

Who is required to attend?

All applicants registered for immigration in the immediate relative category, including children, are required to attend the Embassy in person for a formal visa interview with a U.S. consular officer.
OK, the first one is "immediate relative category". This is a family based segment; IRs of US citizens are:
Parents
Spouses
Children under 21

Persons under the age of fourteen who are deriving status from an immigrant visa or a K visa petition filed on behalf of a parent and are applying for the visa at the same time as the parent need not attend the interview. They must, however, attend the medical examination.
The next trick word is 'deriving'. Immediate Relatives can't send their approval down the line, but employment and more distant family categories can.
That is, the minor child of my foreign spouse would need her own petition. The minor child of my foreign employee does not.

Your immigrant petition (EB-5) *does* allow your child (and spouse) to 'derive' immigrant status from that same petition. So this section applies to you.
Reworded for you;
"(A) person under the age of fourteen who is deriving status from an immigrant visa petition filed on behalf of her parent need not attend the interview."

That's how I understand it. Please do always get clarification from your attorney.
And the rest of you tell me if I've got it wrong!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

The next trick word is 'deriving'. Immediate Relatives can't send their approval down the line, but employment and more distant family categories can.
That is, the minor child of my foreign spouse would need her own petition. The minor child of my foreign employee does not.

Your immigrant petition (EB-5) *does* allow your child (and spouse) to 'derive' immigrant status from that same petition. So this section applies to you.
Reworded for you;
"(A) person under the age of fourteen who is deriving status from an immigrant visa petition filed on behalf of her parent need not attend the interview."

That's how I understand it. Please do always get clarification from your attorney.
And the rest of you tell me if I've got it wrong!
The "deriving status" with both an "and" and an "or" in the same sentence is what confused me the most. Order of precedence isn't always used by non-computer/math people!

Thanks for taking the time in decoding it for me: much appreciated.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
The "deriving status" with both an "and" and an "or" in the same sentence is what confused me the most. Order of precedence isn't always used by non-computer/math people!

Thanks for taking the time in decoding it for me: much appreciated.
Y/W, your sig made me think of another question... when you paid the IV fee to NVC, how many did you have to pay? One per person, yes?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Y/W, your sig made me think of another question... when you paid the IV fee to NVC, how many did you have to pay? One per person, yes?
Yes, same $794 each regardless of age. Assuming we get the visas before the bun comes out of the oven (due late Sept) then the baby gets a free entry.